Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-16-2010
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
David,

Rivnuts have a flange, but steel polynuts do not and do not need to be countersunk. They have not failed me yet.
Ron,

Will they work on 16 gauge sheet metal?
Old 11-23-2010

Default Inner Panel Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
Tommy if I understand you correctly your door skin has some broken welds. This skin is aluminium and the fix is really easy. After removing the rubber gasket you apply a bead of polyurethane (NOT SILICON) all around the door where the outer skin meets with the inner box frame of the door. Clamp the skin to the box frame until it dries and you have a permanent fix. It is so good that it probably should have been the original method of construction. This also works well with bay doors.

Tried the urethane "fix" - removed part of the gasket around the broken weld, cleaned and sanded the broken weld site inside of the aluminum door panel and the area around the frame. Clamped and let it dry for about 8 hours.

Didn't work. Cleaned all the urethane out, re-sanded the site and this time used "Go-Rilla" glue. Been three days now and seems to be holding tight. We'll see if its permanent.

I don't know why the urethane (3-M quick dry) didn't hold it. Oh well....
Old 11-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
Ron,

Will they work on 16 gauge sheet metal?
David,

They sure do. Hard to find, though. Where I bought the tool that included a small bag of several sizes, they don't stock the polynuts. I wonder why they call them "poly"; sounds like plastic, but they are steel.
Old 11-23-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post
Tried the urethane "fix" - removed part of the gasket around the broken weld, cleaned and sanded the broken weld site inside of the aluminum door panel and the area around the frame. Clamped and let it dry for about 8 hours.

Didn't work. Cleaned all the urethane out, re-sanded the site and this time used "Go-Rilla" glue. Been three days now and seems to be holding tight. We'll see if its permanent.

I don't know why the urethane (3-M quick dry) didn't hold it. Oh well....
Very strange Tommy. I hope the glue you used has some elasticity to it. That was the beauty of the urethane fix
Old 11-24-2010
95 WB 42

Tommy,Rob

Some glues set-up when used in air,others will only set up if there is no air. Maybe this 3M you used requires air to set? If you sealed it up between frame and door panel it might not have had enough air to cure.
FYI Go-rilla glug is TOUGH stuff hard to control expansion as it cures it will grow out of small gaps making a mess and it is not flexable sets up very solid. As it cures it expands like foam and bonds at the SUBATOMIC MOLECULAR LEVEL --VERY hard to remove once cured, don't put it together if you ever want to take apart again,---yes I know this.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 11-25-2010

Default Front Door Inner Panel Removal

Well Rob and Ed, after three days the go-rilla glue did not hold either (and I was able (with some careful surgery) to remove it around the broken weld with my trusty pen knife). So much for go-rilla, glue.

This is a small thing, but it bugs me to have the bottom left corner of my door being out of kilter and in the dead of winter the small gap lets cold air in (last year we were in Waco, TX when the temps dropped to 16 degrees. I had to roll up a towel and place it across the bottom step). I also suspect its just enough of a gap to let small furry critters in out of the cold - I've seen their "calling cards" on the bottom step.

I'd consider having someone re-weld it but I'm afraid the heat would screw up my paint.

Looks like I need to put a screw in there to hold it tight and try to match up some paint to color the top of the screw head.
Old 11-25-2010

I've had my door cover panel off twice now and have used the same x-mas fasteners each time and they still hold tight. I use a really small pry-bar type tool (5 ") to get them off and a rubber hammer to put them back in. works for me.
Old 11-26-2010
95 WB 42

Tommy
Check with your friendly body shop man. they use a double face tape to bond parts together sometimes,maybe that would work?? Not sure.
Our motorcycle trailer made by H&H is constructed using that tape on all panel seams 8years old 7 maybe 40,000 and not any popped joints,didn't even pop one last year when we tore off both fenders with NEW tire blowouts,3 out of 4 blew with less than 1,000 miles---bad set according to vendor.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 05-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
Rob, just an FYI, with more and more of the "Christmas Trees" being used I have seen replacements at common automotive stores like Napa, Pep Boys, Kragens and automotive dealerships, etc.

As an example, I just bought some at a Jeep dealership for my Jeep.
Well thats super awesome to know. We have taken apart our bathroom because of water damage that we are fixing, and I'm about ready to put it back together and I spot ANOTHER leak presumably from the skylight. We have thought we fixed it like a dozen times now. I've decided to take down the ceiling paneling to see if it will give me a clue. So, i've come looking for the how to not break them help.
Old 05-12-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMachuga View Post
Well thats super awesome to know. We have taken apart our bathroom because of water damage that we are fixing, and I'm about ready to put it back together and I spot ANOTHER leak presumably from the skylight. We have thought we fixed it like a dozen times now. I've decided to take down the ceiling paneling to see if it will give me a clue. So, i've come looking for the how to not break them help.
your posting on a 2010 thread,maybe start a new thread and you will have better luck?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com