Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Full Timers

Full Timers Not everyone can be a full timer. This is the place to discuss questions, concerns, and other issues affecting full timers.

Site Search:

Old 4 Weeks Ago

On another forum I’m on, they have a list. It’s downloadable and contains names, addresses, phone numbers of members who either have repair facilities or simply real estate for parking and doing repairs. On the list it has a summary of abilities of each person. For instance I am on the list with parking, electrical, dump site and water at my house. I also let them know that I have little, if any, mechanical abilities, but that I am good at holding a flashlight. I know this group has various lists, but thought I’d share this.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Pretty simple repairs, I'd do them anywhere
Cape Cod,ma
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Being full timers for 10 years now, we have done repairs in all sorts of places.
Friends and relatives places is always a safe bet. Some RV parks allow minor repairs. Or, if it's inside repairs they never know about it anyway. I did a floor repair in a campground in Texas one year that involved ripping out some old flooring, and they even let us use their dumpster. We've done oil changes on the generator in Sam's parking lots. We've done leveling jack replacements in WalMart. Brake adjustments for folks at various campgrounds and rest areas. Tag air bags replacement in a Flying J lot. We installed my full solar system at Pine Mountain. And a few starter replacements on peoples coaches at Q. We also pulled the head off a Yanmar generator engine at Q one year. Q is always a good place for repairs since there's a big truck parts house right across the border in CA. When we replaced one of the couches in our coach, we did it parked in front of the sellers cornfield in Indiana. And the guy we bought the couch from even helped and took my old couch for his "man cave". We replaced a section of exhaust pipe on a friends 8V92 in a county park in GA just last year. And we've done TWO air drier rebuilds, a hydraulic leveling jack replacement and an air leveling valve replacement at Pine Mountain. I even did a transmission output shaft seal replacement in a Moose Lodge parking lot in OH.

I could go on and on listing the places and repairs we've done on our coach, and others over the years. But the point is, it not that difficult to find places to do most minor repairs and maintenance. Obviously when I replaced injectors or installed our Jake brake, we did that work at a friends place in NV. Same goes for my total front end rebuild. New bushings in control arms and trac bar, front air bags were all done at a friends place and not "on the road". Drive axle air bags. I replaced those at a friends place in PA. My radiator recore, did that at a friends place in NJ.

By the way, all these friend are also fellow Blue Bird owners.

So.....don't fret. There are always places and friends to help out with repairs and maintenance. Sometimes ya just gotta buy the beer!

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meyer View Post
Being full timers for 10 years now, we have done repairs in all sorts of places.
Friends and relatives places is always a safe bet. Some RV parks allow minor repairs. Or, if it's inside repairs they never know about it anyway. I did a floor repair in a campground in Texas one year that involved ripping out some old flooring, and they even let us use their dumpster. We've done oil changes on the generator in Sam's parking lots. We've done leveling jack replacements in WalMart. Brake adjustments for folks at various campgrounds and rest areas. Tag air bags replacement in a Flying J lot. We installed my full solar system at Pine Mountain. And a few starter replacements on peoples coaches at Q. We also pulled the head off a Yanmar generator engine at Q one year. Q is always a good place for repairs since there's a big truck parts house right across the border in CA. When we replaced one of the couches in our coach, we did it parked in front of the sellers cornfield in Indiana. And the guy we bought the couch from even helped and took my old couch for his "man cave". We replaced a section of exhaust pipe on a friends 8V92 in a county park in GA just last year. And we've done TWO air drier rebuilds, a hydraulic leveling jack replacement and an air leveling valve replacement at Pine Mountain. I even did a transmission output shaft seal replacement in a Moose Lodge parking lot in OH.

I could go on and on listing the places and repairs we've done on our coach, and others over the years. But the point is, it not that difficult to find places to do most minor repairs and maintenance. Obviously when I replaced injectors or installed our Jake brake, we did that work at a friends place in NV. Same goes for my total front end rebuild. New bushings in control arms and trac bar, front air bags were all done at a friends place and not "on the road". Drive axle air bags. I replaced those at a friends place in PA. My radiator recore, did that at a friends place in NJ.

By the way, all these friend are also fellow Blue Bird owners.

So.....don't fret. There are always places and friends to help out with repairs and maintenance. Sometimes ya just gotta buy the beer!
Don,

Thank you for sharing your experience and words of wisdom! I’m not nearly as talented and/or knowledgeable as you and many of the other guys and gals here! But, I’m leaning fast, the rally in Hood River was great, we made a lot of friends and in fact did a bunch of repairs.

We will be heading to Nebraska in a couple of weeks and plan to fix the leaky shower a few other things once we get there.

If anyone around Nebraska willing to help I’ii not only buy the beer, but get a bottle of fine whisky to go with a nice meal I will cook for us!

Happy trails,
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Shahin,
When I bought our coach in 2002, I knew NOTHING about buses or diesel engines. I could turn a wrench on a Willys Jeep, or a small block Chevy but never touched a bus. So it was a learn out of necessity deal with the coach.

With the immense pool of knowledge within the WOG as well as other sources and individuals, you'll do just fine. As long as you're willing to listen and learn.

At any given rally, all ya gotta do is open the "hood" and you'll have more help than you know what to do with. LOL

Are you going to make it to Pine Mountain in Oct? If so, we'll see you there.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meyer View Post
Shahin,
When I bought our coach in 2002, I knew NOTHING about buses or diesel engines. I could turn a wrench on a Willys Jeep, or a small block Chevy but never touched a bus. So it was a learn out of necessity deal with the coach.

With the immense pool of knowledge within the WOG as well as other sources and individuals, you'll do just fine. As long as you're willing to listen and learn.

At any given rally, all ya gotta do is open the "hood" and you'll have more help than you know what to do with. LOL

Are you going to make it to Pine Mountain in Oct? If so, we'll see you there.
Yes, the plan is to head to Pine Mountain after visiting grandkids in Nebraska.

Look forward to hanging out,
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Shahin, have you made any reservations at Pine Mountain? If not, highly recommend you calling. We usually fill the park.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I watched a neighbor at our stop in Wichita Falls, he practically pulled the whole genny out of his SOB, even had a compressor, he had it torn apart for 3 days...maybe once in 4 years the park said no maintenance..
Body #234
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
214-729-1384
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Funny thing is many of us don't have bus barns or shelters. So really working on the bus at home is about the same as working on it on the road. The only thing that is harder on the road is receiving shipped parts and keeping my wife calm while I work on things.
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map