Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 07-09-2019

Between my sisters farm and the dairy farm on the road, there have been many many oversized loads going over bridge. Semis full of silage and hay. County records show that it was rebuilt in 1986, and current inspections up to date and no weight limits. Wish Mi. Would pay more attention to overweight vehicles on winter frost roads.
1997 WB43
1977 FC31 RB Sold

"The tallest guy with the shortest bus acquired a "BIG BUSTA"

<bustadesign@hotmail.com>
Old 07-09-2019

Just for general info: Way back in my Scout Platoon Leader days one of the tasks that my guys had to do was classify bridges for a tank battalion to move across. I used to take them out county roads in Texas to practice on bridges of all types, rating them for both wheeled and tracked vehicles. They used a little wiz-wheel tool that was easy and got a reasonable safe-sided answer, and I would do the more exact calculations on any bridge that was questionable. I found that most bridges had a pretty good safety factor built in to the posted rating. Some were around 50% (20K rated but 30K calculated). It seamed that newer construction bridges had higher safety margins in the ratings. Having said that, I did put my entire platoon of 15 ton+ armored vehicles over a narrow German bridge rated at 5 tons one day with no time to rate it other than a quick "looks ok to me". Luckily there was no visible damage. As for the case in question here, great job on going to the source for definitive info. Its just not worth risking it otherwise. As for the "get a running start" jokes/opinions, the opposite is actually true. The slower you go the less stress is imparted to the bridge structure. Same reason the ice-road truckers have to go slow across the frozen lakes.
'86 PT38 "Eagle's Rest"
'82 FC35 (sold)
Old 07-16-2019

Update , made it across the bridge and back over again. Talked to the Secretary of County Road Commission and got a full history on the bridges that were all redone in the 80's. Because the farms grew, so did the equipment and the weights farmers where hauling. My Sisters farm had also just been logged a year ago and this bridged was certified to accommodate all the equipment and truck traffic. All went OK and we where able to dry camp Big Busta fro the first time, next to the hayfield that was just cut. We loved waking up to the sweet smell of freshly cut alfalfa!
We had a great time with all the relatives, and the bridge survived. It was also an interesting drive climbing the 8.0 mile 4% to an 8% to a short 10% grade climb over the mountain to head off to rally in Lock Haven PA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SisterFarm.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	63012   Click image for larger version

Name:	SpottedHeartStable1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	63013  
1997 WB43
1977 FC31 RB Sold

"The tallest guy with the shortest bus acquired a "BIG BUSTA"

<bustadesign@hotmail.com>
Old 07-16-2019

Just think, if you had taken almost everyone's advice on this thread you'd be sitting a Walmart parking lot enjoying the view of an interstate highway.
Old 07-16-2019

"And now you know the rest of the story." P.H.

Randy & Deborah Turner
'97 WLWB 43'
"horizons..."

Travel Blog