Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs

Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs Owning a Blue Bird isn't cheap. Questions or suggestions on how to handle these costs are discussed in this forum.

Site Search:

Old 07-17-2011

Default AAA towing

I had a tow for my 31ft FC a couple of weeks ago and the tow truck driver was hesitant to tow me even though I told AAA I had a heavy rig and to send a large truck. They said they would send a lowboy but sent a heavy wrecker with a stinger. He made my sign a waver for damage because the driver said it might damage the muffler and pipe. It crushed my pan. It did not leak, so I started it and the engine locked up. Has anyone else had trouble getting towed? They used the tire clamps and the stinger. The tilt cylinder of the stinger leaked by and the load lowered. A freind of mine who has wreckers said he uses a bar across the stinger to keep the stinger from lowering if hydraulic seals leak by. AAA contends that my bus ruined the hydraulics due to it's extreem weight. The wrecker was as long as the bus and was made for moving semi trucks. The difference between the semi's and the Wanderlodge is the distance from the front bumper to the centerline of the wheels (or axle) is greater on a Wanderlodge than a semi truck. They are saying I am liable. Anybody have any ideas about this? I am new to this forum, so I hope this is in the right thread.
Old 07-17-2011

WOW sorry to hear about your BB. Now I am wondering what is the best way to tow a BB?
281-546-2445
Old 07-17-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemjam View Post
WOW sorry to hear about your BB. Now I am wondering what is the best way to tow a BB?

Check out;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > How to properly tow your 'Bird > 'Birds and Wreckers "WHAT TO KNOW TO TOW"

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-17-2011

We have "talked" about this on the forum before. We also had a discussion at RATS 2010.

This is my opinion: 1. Landoll trailer if height is not an issue.

2. Bus Forks with drive shaft removed, service brakes operational and air system charged.

3. Bubba's Towing and Massage Parlor.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 07-17-2011

Hey Rick I think "3. Bubba's Towing and Massage Parlor." I believe the Massage Parlor should be a must after any work on the BB.
281-546-2445
Old 07-18-2011
95 WB 42

Old Hippie

I had a 1994 PT40 towed from Jackson Mississippi to Perry Georgia with a tow truck much like you are describing. The driver explained that the stinger was rated for 70,000 lbs. I don't believe that your coach damaged his stinger. His defective equipment caused your damage in my opinion.
Good luck

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 07-18-2011
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage American View Post
I had a tow for my 31ft FC a couple of weeks ago and the tow truck driver was hesitant to tow me even though I told AAA I had a heavy rig and to send a large truck. They said they would send a lowboy but sent a heavy wrecker with a stinger. He made my sign a waver for damage because the driver said it might damage the muffler and pipe. It crushed my pan. It did not leak, so I started it and the engine locked up. Has anyone else had trouble getting towed? They used the tire clamps and the stinger. The tilt cylinder of the stinger leaked by and the load lowered. A freind of mine who has wreckers said he uses a bar across the stinger to keep the stinger from lowering if hydraulic seals leak by. AAA contends that my bus ruined the hydraulics due to it's extreem weight. The wrecker was as long as the bus and was made for moving semi trucks. The difference between the semi's and the Wanderlodge is the distance from the front bumper to the centerline of the wheels (or axle) is greater on a Wanderlodge than a semi truck. They are saying I am liable. Anybody have any ideas about this? I am new to this forum, so I hope this is in the right thread.

I'm no lawyer but how can you be liable when ultimately it was his choice whether to tow you or not?

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 07-18-2011
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage American View Post
Why would you sign a waver? You told them what you had and they sent the wrong equipment.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 07-18-2011
Forum owner

Bad equipment and not knowing how to tow your coach is not your fault.
The tow company has insurance for stuff like this.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-18-2011

I don't get the AAA thinking here. If I hire a contractor and he damages his power saw working on my home I am supposed to be liable for his saw?

I don't think so. He agreed to the work. He agreed to the price. He is liable for his equipment, his people, and any damage he does to my home.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad