Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 04-01-2008

Thumbs up Motorcycle Hydraulic Lift For Your 'Bird

New to the group, My wife and I bought a 92 WB wanderlodge with a few upgrades from the previous owner. Our first trip was when we bought the bird and drove it 1600 miles home. We loved every minute of the trip. Even with the front generator deciding to leave the bus (pin came out). I visit this site often to read up on the great and not so great adventures and to learn more about our Bird.
We are now looking for a Motorcycle lift to attach to our Bird so can take our bike with us when we travel. If any one has one to sell let us know...

Steve and Sue Porter
Preston , Ct.
92 Wanderlodge
Old 04-01-2008

Hello Steve and Sue,

Welcome!

I too am starting to think about a way to carry our motorcycle. A lift would be nice. I am considering fabricating one if I can get the time....but that is another story. We also have a Master Two car dolly I have considered extending the tongue to permit carrying a golf cart or motorcycle in addition to the car.

If you come up with a good solution, drop us a note.

If you want to spend a few grand, there are some real nice powered lifts. With the power lift, you can still tow something else. With some of the non-lift carriers, they extend the current receiver and permit towing.

The big issue is how big of a bike you want to put on back. That will dictate the options. Another consideration is do you want a lift or a ramp. If the bike is too big, a lift might be the best choice. For the lighter bikes, the ramp should be fine.

A good ramp solution can be had for about $500-$800.

Regards,

Glenn
Old 04-02-2008

I too have investigated lifts and car tow dollies with extensions up front for motorcycles, atv, or golf carts. I have been going back and forth on which way to go. Originally I wanted a lift and then either flat tow or use a dolly for a car. I have a 2003 Harley Ultra Classic. The lifts are strong enough to lift it and the BB is built to handle the extra load. However, my '93 WLWB, has a rear bumper that drops down around the standard hitch. The lifts all require two extra hitches installed, on each side, that have to be at the same level as the original in the middle. This is a problem that I haven't resolved yet. Because I don't want to and have no intention on cutting any kind of holes in the rear bumper of my Bird. So, that is why the indicision at this time. I thought about pulling an enclosed trailer behind for all my stuff but getting into some sites becomes a problem, plus my desire to travel into the high country at times, makes a bike lift a much smarter option, I think.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 04-02-2008

I have a Hydralift http://www.hydralift-usa.com/ on my '85 PT40. I chose it for several reasons:

1) It is rated to tow 8,000 lbs while carrying 1,000 lbs on the lift. I tow a full-size pickup which weighs about 7,000 lbs.

2) I travel alone. A lift was the safest way to load the bike without assistance, whether my KLR (450 lbs), R100RT (600 lbs) or the FLSTC (800 lbs.)

3) The Hydralift allows opening of the engine hood for maintenance without unloading. All others I have seen required unloading and disassembly to check engine fluids.

4) All other lifts and truck bed loaders I have seen were cable--operated, either with a motorized or manual winch. In every example the cable had been kinked, even on factory display models. A kinked cable is weakened unpredictably.

5) The bike is carried high enough it cannot be dragged driving over irregularities, and clears the hood of my 4WD pickup.

6) Optional, alternative rails are available to carry two small bikes, a quad or golf cart.

The lift only uses the outer two receivers, not the center of the three. A small 12V hydraulic pump is mounted in a curb-side bay. A hand-controller plugs into a connector on the lift, so one stands beside the bike while raising or lowering.

--M.R.Kane
'85 PT40
currently Pilot Point, TX
Old 04-02-2008

Thumbs up Good news

So if I understand what you are saying is that I may not have to cut a notch in my bumper. I have not gone to an installer yet. I only looked at the lifts on line. I always saw the three recievers in line with each other and assumed that was the way they had to be. If they don't then that is clearly the option that I would like the best. The Hydralift was the main one that I was looking at. You may have solved a problem for me with your comments. That's what makes this such a great format for discussions. Sometimes it scares the **** out of me listening to some of the problems people have, wondering if I will run into that too but then sometimes it answers a lot of questions that will make my coach much more enjoyable, than it already is.
Thanks again.
Jim

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 04-02-2008

Thanks everyone,
I have a Victory KP, weight is around 730 LBS. so the lift would have to be installed. I also have searched the internet for MC lifts and the hydraulic one seems to be the best, but reviews cautioned the placement of the aux. pump for the system. Notching the bumper was something I did not think of for the stabilizers of the lift system. We like the option of the MC for convince and its just the two of us (cuts down on the shopping thing), and the toad thing seems to be a hassle in some camp sites. Just think, one of the cylinders of the BB is the same as my MC total CI.

Have a great day..

Steve and Sue Porter
92 WLWB
Preston, CT
Old 04-03-2008

Just noticed a picture on the Hydralift site which shows the center receiver is not used:
http://www.hydralift-usa.com/install-remove.cfm
Look at the top picture.

On my rig the hydraulic pump and motor unit are weather-proof mounted inside the rear curb-side bay, which is forward of the drive axle on my PT. The installer was experienced, and correctly sized the power cables which tie directly to the battery bank through a circuit breaker. I built a wooden cover for the pump, which is 10 in X 10 in X 22 inches deep. The controller plugs into the lift, so no access is needed for the pump, except to top-off the hydraulic oil. (Never needed in the two years I've had the lift.)

There are two usual modes of mounting the lift. One is to weld saddles to the coach frame, then bolt the lift to the saddles. On my coach a previous owner had installed the three-receiver assembly for another brand of lift. That means I was able to have my hydralift mounted by sliding two 2 in tubes into the existing receivers, and bolting the lift to the saddles welded to these tubes. (No additional welding to the coach) Frankly, I have never tried to remove the lift, so have no idea how tough it would be do it by sliding the tubes in or out of the receivers. Instead I think I would unbolt the lift from the saddles, then remove the receiver assemblies. It has never been necessary to remove the lift for any maintenance of my coach.

On a final note, my installation puts the bike high enough for the windscreen to be seen in the backup camera, which is aimed to view my towed truck from the dash on rearward. I like to keep an eye of things while on the road.

M.R.Kane
1985 PT40
Currently Pilot Point, TX
Old 04-03-2008

I think I just need to take my Bird to an installer and have them tell me how they are going to have to install it and then decide if that is a good system for me. The more I read and see I want to do that. It is without question the ideal set up for getting into tighter places. If you flat tow a toad behind it, it just has to make life easier. You get into a tight spot and can't back up then unhook the toad, back the Bird where you want it, park the toad someplace else until you leave, if yo have to. You have the bike with you, where you can keep an eye on it. The Hydralift also has that cover for the bike that has to be a great option.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 06-21-2008

My hydralift is available for $47,000...

...which includes the '85 PT40 it's mounted on...

M.R.Kane
'85 PT40 for sale
'87 PT40
currently Sanger, TX
Old 06-21-2008

Now THAT would be a **** of a toad!!!!!!!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support