Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 01-24-2012

Default The day old Genny died. I need your advice.

We had decided we would give Quartzsite a shot. We had never had a genny problem at all after many hours of use since we bought our coach in April.

Well we learned we may have some marginal batteries but never knew since we were always plugged in or on the genny. I will be checking those out a posting status a questions later.

As fate would have it the very first morning I got up at 5:55 (since you can't crank the genny until 6:00 AM) to assess how we did over night. The batteries were marginal. So at 6:00 AM the genny was cranked and went to doing it's normal great job. About 45 minute later it sounded like it was seizing up all the sudden loud jerky noises. I turned it off and looked and maybe smelled something hot but nothing obviously. Cranked it right back up loud loud and turned it right back off. So it would crank and put out voltage the last time it was cranked.

I am thinking a bearing seizing up or maybe a plate on the back has come loose. I can't see nor visual the back of the genny.

I tried to crank the engine too in order to charge the batteries. The engine wouldn't crank even though I had isolated the engine and coach batteries the night before we went to bed. More on the batteries in a later thread.

Luckily Dale offered to run an extension cord and charge all my batteries so I could crank and leave.

I tried to get under the bus and get back to that little hole and put my head up in there and see what I can see. I will have to raise the bus on the jacks quite a bit to pull that off (no fat jokes, I am on a diet...LOL).

• Should I trust just the bus jacks to get under there and work? I am not comfortable, but wondered if most people would just trust them and raise it and get under there and check it out.
  • Since it is old anyway and we plan to go to Alaska this year should I take it to an authorized service provider and have them do it and a full check out of the unit? It has 1380 hours on it. Maybe there are some easy inexpensive bolt on upgrades for it??? Does anyone know?
    • It is a Powertech 15KW with a Kubota diesel.
    • There is an authorized provider not too far up the road from me (Bullhead City, AZ) in Pahrump, NV.
  • There also seem to be a number of good local RV repair companies here around Bullhead City. Should I just have one of them take a look? One guy specializes in heavy stuff like genny's engine's, trannies.

I look forward to your years of experience and knowledge.
Fruita Colorado
Old 01-24-2012

George,

Do NOT trust the jacks to go underneath her. While they will hold and be okay millions of times, it will only take once to kill you. Lift the coach with the jacks and block the frame to prevent it from falling. Let the blocks hold the weight and have the jacks as backup.

You probably had a slip ring go bad, from the sounds of it. You can do the replacement, but it is rather involved and probably not something to truly do on the road. Look for the closest Powertech service center. It's www.powertech-gen.com/dealers to find your closest one. I'd DEFINITELY want it repaired well before heading up "the highway".

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 01-24-2012
Gardner

NO NO NO
!!! Never trust the jacks. There are NO safety catches. Always support the bus using proper jack stands or strong wood chocking on a known good ground surface that can handle the weight. A jack stand on a weak pavement will punch through unexpectedly.

One time at a rally one of the gennies suddenly started making a very loud knocking sound. It turned out to be an injector tip had broken off and was being pounded by the piston against the head. It was surprisingly not damaged seriously and a new injector got it running again after removing the head and cleaning out the debris.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 01-24-2012
Administrator

IF you are still at the Rally find Woody or ask for help , Someone can help diagnose this problem,
you probably need a generator engine repair.
Same answer for the jacks.
Old 01-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
NO NO NO
!!! Never trust the jacks. There are NO safety catches. Always support the bus using proper jack stands or strong wood chocking on a known good ground surface that can handle the weight. A jack stand on a weak pavement will punch through unexpectedly.

One time at a rally one of the gennies suddenly started making a very loud knocking sound. It turned out to be an injector tip had broken off and was being pounded by the piston against the head. It was surprisingly not damaged seriously and a new injector got it running again after removing the head and cleaning out the debris.
I once pushed two 6x6 blocks (one on top of the other) deep into what appeared to be hardpan. The top block was about 6" below ground level & is probably still where we were parked.

We never use RV dealers for drive train or generator engine repairs. Truck shop for the coach drive train, a generator repair shop that services cell tower back-up power systems for our Yanmar/Kohler. A Power Tech dealer would probably be OK for the generator.
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".
Old 01-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Roberts View Post
We had decided we would give Quartzsite a shot. We had never had a genny problem at all after many hours of use since we bought our coach in April.

Well we learned we may have some marginal batteries but never knew since we were always plugged in or on the genny. I will be checking those out a posting status a questions later.

As fate would have it the very first morning I got up at 5:55 (since you can't crank the genny until 6:00 AM) to assess how we did over night. The batteries were marginal. So at 6:00 AM the genny was cranked and went to doing it's normal great job. About 45 minute later it sounded like it was seizing up all the sudden loud jerky noises. I turned it off and looked and maybe smelled something hot but nothing obviously. Cranked it right back up loud loud and turned it right back off. So it would crank and put out voltage the last time it was cranked.

I am thinking a bearing seizing up or maybe a plate on the back has come loose. I can't see nor visual the back of the genny.

I tried to crank the engine too in order to charge the batteries. The engine wouldn't crank even though I had isolated the engine and coach batteries the night before we went to bed. More on the batteries in a later thread.

Luckily Dale offered to run an extension cord and charge all my batteries so I could crank and leave.

I tried to get under the bus and get back to that little hole and put my head up in there and see what I can see. I will have to raise the bus on the jacks quite a bit to pull that off (no fat jokes, I am on a diet...LOL).

• Should I trust just the bus jacks to get under there and work? I am not comfortable, but wondered if most people would just trust them and raise it and get under there and check it out.
  • Since it is old anyway and we plan to go to Alaska this year should I take it to an authorized service provider and have them do it and a full check out of the unit? It has 1380 hours on it. Maybe there are some easy inexpensive bolt on upgrades for it??? Does anyone know?
    • It is a Powertech 15KW with a Kubota diesel.
    • There is an authorized provider not too far up the road from me (Bullhead City, AZ) in Pahrump, NV.
  • There also seem to be a number of good local RV repair companies here around Bullhead City. Should I just have one of them take a look? One guy specializes in heavy stuff like genny's engine's, trannies.

I look forward to your years of experience and knowledge.
my gen did some what the same ..it was bearing....can't be checked in bus the load noise was the exciter stage grinding agenst each other as failed bearing allowed contact...if you have a lot of vibration i would think bearing in you don't run it to much with bad bearing its i much less costly repair bearing is about 30 bucks..... exiter stage 1200 bucks...i replaced both in gravel lane with engine lift and 2 cable come-a-longs ...hope its not bad don't run it much
if you think its bearing...
mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 01-24-2012

George - sorry to hear about y'all's problem. Could be a long shot, but if it is a genny problem, see if there is a Kubota (tractor) dealer close by. The local Kubota dealer in my "home 20" has offered, if I should need it, service and repairs on my Kubota genny.
Old 01-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post
George - sorry to hear about y'all's problem. Could be a long shot, but if it is a genny problem, see if there is a Kubota (tractor) dealer close by. The local Kubota dealer in my "home 20" has offered, if I should need it, service and repairs on my Kubota genny.

Thanks Tommy, it still beat a good day at work. It also got us to paradise quicker. This Bullhead City/Laughlin location is really cool.

The local guy I mentioned above has a lot of tractor experience.
Fruita Colorado
Old 01-24-2012
Senior

If you have a rapping sound when running the engine then isolate the problem. disconnect the power to the injector pump solenoid and then turn the engine over. If there is no noise then remove the injectors and have them checked. Chances are you have a bad injector.
6V92
Old 03-06-2012

Update on this subject.

I had issues getting in touch with the Authorized Service Provider in Pahrump, NV, so I called a local guy that works on big generators etc. He came out this morning and took a look. He looked for about a minute or two and looks at me and says "F(*& that Mother F)(*&er". I said an 80 year old man told me he replaced his bearing back behind there and he said "F)(* him too". And that was that.

I finally got in touch with the authorized people in Pahrump and explained my experience and they felt they couldn't help me either and referred me to Peterbuilt in Las Vegas. That smells like money to me. I am on the hunt for someone to take a look at this thing again now. I didn't realize people would be afraid of it. I may have to buy those jacks stands yet.

I am seriously thinking of buying a Honda as a back up and for more economical boondocking too if I get my battery situation working better.

I want to boondock more but can't yet. I was definitely not prepared when I went to Quartzsite. We'll get there.
Fruita Colorado