Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 09-17-2008

Thanks for all of the responses. It's great to know there are fellow bird lovers out there willing to help!

Dick, Maxton sounds great. Don't know if I could afford to take the time and cost of fuel though . But I will keep it in mind. I took a look at the genny on e-bay. I don't think I would want to get rid of the Onan at this point.

John & Randy, you definitely have an awesome rally planned! I will see where I am next month.

Tom, I will be at the Hershey rally. I plan on arriving Wednesday and staying as long as possible . I'm willing to do what ever it takes to make this happen. If you want to talk before Hershey, drop me a line.

Bill, from what I understand then you don't have a propane tank in the rear right side compartment? I wonder if the compartments on your rig are the same size as mine. Anyhow, I will wait and see when you get some photos.

Thanks for everyone’s help!!

Best Regards,
Dan Leftwich
Somers NY
1987 35FC
"BaBar"
Old 09-18-2008

Dan,

The LP gas tank is located in the rear right (pass. side) compartment on our bird. The compartments are all 13" high. I think they are taller beginning with
1988 FC's.

I'll try to get some photos this PM, last night I had minor problem with the slide (the plug on the conrol box was loose). By the time I located the problem it was too dark for decent pics.
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".
Old 09-19-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin41bb View Post
Dan,

The LP gas tank is located in the rear right (pass. side) compartment on our bird. The compartments are all 13" high. I think they are taller beginning with
1988 FC's.

I'll try to get some photos this PM, last night I had minor problem with the slide (the plug on the conrol box was loose). By the time I located the problem it was too dark for decent pics.
Click on the URL link under the photo for a larger view.

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/103357120

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/103357123

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/103357125

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/103357127

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/103357129
Old 09-19-2008

Thumbs up

Thanks for the photos guys. They help in getting a firmer idea in my head. Now comes the difficult part. That is doing it!

Bill, did your exhaust always exit on the side? Mine exits out the rear. But then again mine is an Onan that doesn't slide.

Dan

Best Regards,
Dan Leftwich
Somers NY
1987 35FC
"BaBar"
Old 09-22-2008

Default Generator Exhaust

Dan,

The exhaust has always exited on the side beneath the generator. We use a "venturi" stack to vent to above the roof line.

You might be able to install a manual side. This would save a lot of room under your coach. Also fewer future problems with motors, etc.

The slide is really only needed for maintenace & repair so if a manual side is a little more difficult to handle it's not something you have to tackle that frequently.

Hope this helps,
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".
Old 11-14-2008

Question Onan Problems

Guys with an Onan genset (Dick),

Ok, I'll sum it up as best as I can. First some background:
  • Changed the hose that runs down to the radiator because it was rotted out. Filled it with new coolant. Started it and it ran fine. Let it run for 30 - 45 min. & I shut it down due to it was overheating. My water temperature gauge also must of died. Don't remember that before this happened. Don't know how hot it got but it was dark out and I would deal with it the next morning.
  • Replaced the oil & added a lot of coolant to the system. It wouldn't preheat the glow plugs when you tried now. Started the generator and measured the water temp with an IR Thermometer. After 5 -10 min under load it began to overheat again. Thought it was either a stuck thermostat or a problem with the hose I replaced or an air lock. The hose wasn't the Gates green hose that was there originally but just a heater hose.
  • Put a new thermostat in and put a new Gates hose in. Started the generator and put it under load only to find that I still had something going on. The IR temp was lower (200 degrees) but it was bubbling and acting as if it was boiling. Finally after running the unit three separate times it must of been air that worked itself out of the system.
Where I am today:
  • The Water Temp gauge is dead.
  • The Engine Temp Shutdown on both the Oil & Coolant do not work.
  • The Pre Heat doesn't work.
Could these problems be interrelated? I don't want to replace the sending units if they aren't the problem. Could the problem be electrical?

I still don't know the proper procedure for bleeding the air out of the system. Have a call into George at Bleakley. I have all three Onan manuals and they don’t give you a procedure on bleeding out air.

Best Regards,
Dan Leftwich
Somers NY
1987 35FC
"BaBar"
Old 11-14-2008

Dan: You can bleed the air out of the Onan/Kubota by removing a plug near the thermostat housing or thru the upper radiator hose...also with the plug or upper hose loose, try flexing (milking) the hoses on the horizontal radiator to expel any air that may have become trapped. It easy to trap air in this system when refilling...pouring coolant slowly my help.

That white plastic electrical connector on the rear of the control box may need to be reseated. Those electrical connectors are easily disturbed.

Just a thought...make sure that the fuel shutoff solenoid mechanism is not hanging up...watch the action while starting from the rear of coach on the Gen control panel box.

When depressing the stop button on pilot overhead dash, watch the volts and amps guages on the copilots side...when toggling the stop side of the generator start/stop switch, you should see a drop in the voltage and an increase in the load if the glow plugs are working on the Onan.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 11-15-2008

It has occured to me that a 'drop down' frame as opposed to a 'slide out' might work better with the 87-89 FC Onan gen sets. Air cylinders go in and out, they can go up and down too. Don't like the air cylinder idea?, consider electric screw motor, like camper or trailer tongue jacks. That radiator location is an interesting challenge, very important to break out the old pressure washer occasionally.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 11-15-2008
Administrator

As Dick mentioned that connector on the rear of the control box is a trouble spot.
Standard heater hose or Silicone hose is not good for this application. too many 90* turns , the only hose to use is Gates #800 available at NAPA, heavy duty wire wound hose. about $20 per foot.
Lots of tricks to purge air,, pump in coolant from the cock pet on the bottom of the Kabota engine block, pinch the return line to force more fluid pressure to the radiator. remove the pressure cap, loosen the lower return rad hose and drain coolant as the engine is running.
That tiny water pump has to pump fluid thru about 20 feet of hose and the radiator. The Onan/Kubota Temp gages run about 10 to 20 degrees high, check temp with an external temp method.

Last edited by Bill Pape; 11-15-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-15-2008
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
It has occured to me that a 'drop down' frame as opposed to a 'slide out' might work better with the 87-89 FC Onan gen sets. Air cylinders go in and out, they can go up and down too. Don't like the air cylinder idea?, consider electric screw motor, like camper or trailer tongue jacks. That radiator location is an interesting challenge, very important to break out the old pressure washer occasionally.
good thinking Mike.
maybe even a setup like the steps on the FCs,it swings down and out at the same time,bigger of course.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com