Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 01-20-2013

Default Markus' Big Radiator Project

So after watching the boys do their radiator projects last year (Tom S, Shane, Steve P), I decided it was time to do mine. Many hoses look original, I see slight seeping in a few spots, I'm jealous of the beautiful new blue hoses and super clean engines, so I have to keep up with the Jones', or in this case the Sorrentino's, the Fedeli's, and the Pappas'. Plus, I have nothing better to do. Yeah, right!

Original plan was to do this with the good Dr. Heckman in the spring, but we weren't going to start till late April/early May, and after talking to the guys about how long it took them, I realized it would eat into my prime usage season. We usually go away Memorial Day weekend, 3 weeks right after the kids are done school, and all that would be in jeopardy if I waited to start till then. I do have indoor storage with a double sized barn with enough room, so I made the "executive decision" to start on my own and get a head start. Risky as I won't have multiple busses and experts all around, but....I'm hoping I can take things apart ok, get help when needed, and have time on my side if I run into trouble.

So yesterday it got warm enough to get the ole girl fired up and turned around in the bay so I had better access to everything. Wanted to have the battery side compartment grille/door open, the rear hatch open, and access on the radiator side. Got her parked in position and secured, then took off the outside grille to see what I was in for. The plan is to do a lot.....take out radiator and send out, all hoses, belts, rebuild kits for hydraulic fan, water pump, fuel pump, replace those all valve handles with ball valves, scrape off what's left of the old insulation and replace with new, replace sensors, thermostats, gaskets, I'm sure I'm missing something. Lots of work, I know. Oh yeah and engine block heater!

I got the grille off, then 3 of the 4 rubber "deflectors". So far I see leaves and some dirt, but not much if any rust. That is hopefully a good sign. Then I started on the bottom cross brace - just 4 bolts, right? That's where I ran into two unexpected things. On the forward piece, I got the two bolts/nuts off, but it wouldn't budge. Realized they had ALSO riveted it on there dangit. See the fifth picture. Guess that has to be drilled out somehow without damaging anything. So then I moved to the rear part by the bumper. Realized I could see and get to the nuts, but not the heads of the bolts. Looked underneath to find out the metal body panel was curved underneath and totally blocks access to the bolts from the other side! So of course they are just spinning since I can't grab both sides. Guess I have to bend that out of the way? Really, who designed that. See last picture.

Today I go back to drain the 5 gallons of 10/30 oil from the hydraulic/steering reservoir so I can take those two lines off the smaller cooler in the 3rd picture. Not sure I have big enough wrenches yet, may need to buy some additional tools. Then drain the radiator, now that we've established that's no problem even if the temps get below freezing. After those are all drained, I'll remove the smaller cooler, than get help to get the radiator out. Then I can really start taking pictures, labeling things, and start removing all those old hoses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0856a.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	19814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0858a.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	19815   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0859a-.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	19816   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0860a.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	19817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0869a.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	19818   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0870a.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	19819  
VB 1570
Old 01-20-2013
prone to wandering

way to go Markus, that is a great winter project and one that you will be so happy that you did
jimdoel@me.com
Old 01-20-2013

Way to go Markus! You will become very intimate with your engine compartment. Having an inside side place to do this will be nice. The only negative I see is being able to do steam cleaning while you have everything apart. Don't forget that Gardner was part of this also and he takes great pictures!
Westchester Sandblast
Old 01-20-2013
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_sorrentino View Post
Way to go Markus! You will become very intimate with your engine compartment. Having an inside side place to do this will be nice. The only negative I see is being able to do steam cleaning while you have everything apart. Don't forget that Gardner was part of this also and he takes great pictures!
Tom,
You guys did all the work, I just held the flashlight
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 01-20-2013

We all know how those 3 day projects take anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months.
Bluebird designed it that way just to keep you out of the local toxic, alcohol serving, pole dancing, smoke infested establishments
Always looking out for our well being
Now ain'tcha glad you started early
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 01-20-2013

Markus, you have my number for when you need a hand. Again I don't claim to be an expert, just a learning apprentice. We decided to not take mine out this year, but will next year. I am currently doing all hoses too.
So when you need help, call......... because it will benefit me also
john@pletcherfire.com
Old 01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_sorrentino View Post
I'm hoping that the plastic kiddie pool will help with that to catch stuff underneath. Its just a concrete floor, used to be a cattle barn/corral so not nicely finished or anything.
VB 1570
Old 01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pletcher View Post
Markus, you have my number for when you need a hand. Again I don't claim to be an expert, just a learning apprentice. We decided to not take mine out this year, but will next year. I am currently doing all hoses too.
So when you need help, call......... because it will benefit me also
I will John, thanks! Isn't that a lot of work to do all the hoses now (and drain the system), then drain it again next year to do the radiator and at that time try to save all that antifreeze? Plus it looks easier to get at all hoses with radiator out of the way? At least that's my logic, and I'm stickin' to it!
VB 1570
Old 01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusfmeyer View Post
I will John, thanks! Isn't that a lot of work to do all the hoses now (and drain the system), then drain it again next year to do the radiator and at that time try to save all that antifreeze? Plus it looks easier to get at all hoses with radiator out of the way? At least that's my logic, and I'm stickin' to it!

Actually its not been to bad draining all the coolant. The current coolant is very good condition so it's going back in for now. Next year I think I'm going to look at the fan motor also. All in all nothing has been to bad to work on.
NOW....... the steering box........use your credit card!!!
john@pletcherfire.com
Old 01-20-2013

See one, do one, teach one. The concept of medical education. That means in the spring we'll have lots of teachers for the Heck Man project. Lets see we have Shane, Steve, Tom, Markus. If this works out I may not even have to show up.

I am kidding of course. But I will need some help. I just don't have a warm spot to work and so I have to wait until I can take it out side.

Notes and pictures Markus. I am waiting for some one to do an in frame rebuild close enough that I can see that. Of course the reason we are doing all of this is so we don't have to do the latter. This is the plan isn't it???

Good luck with all of this Markus. Shane was down yesterday and we had a party after doing some "procedures" on CowDoc's BMC. Shane's the man. Everything worked first try no problems. Never happens for the Heck Man.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold