Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 01-28-2013

Default Lithium-Ion Batteries

I belong to another forum and there were post about Lithium- Ion batteries. Will this be usable in our birds or too much modifiication to make it worthwhile? Greater life expectancy? Worth the cost? Curious. Maybe this is an old topic here and if so I apoligize and John can slap my hand.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf li-ion24v.pdf (623.0 KB, 157 views)

Bruce and Sally Summerlin
Germantown, Tennessee
2000 LXi Millinium
Old 01-28-2013
95 WB 42

Bruce
I looked at some of these 3 years ago,looked at size for my Harley,Harley's will shake a battery to death over time. These looked like the CAT'S MEOW just the ticket.
However I'd need to sell my wife's Harley to pay for it didn't happen I'm stupid not crazy.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 01-28-2013

The problem I see (Well besides the Boeing 787 issue). If you go below 5% or so on those they are a brick. Google "Tesla battery brick" and read about how you can lose $40,000 because of a simple lapse in judgement.

I think it is great idea but I don't trust myself to never get busy and forget to check my batteries and charger status. I think Tesla is looking into having their car send text messages if the battery is getting low and they will automatically shut down at a certain discharge level. But if you leave it unplugged for a few months it is toast.
84 FC35RB (3208 turbo)
Old 01-28-2013

Hi,
I believe Liberty Coach is using them. Here is a good overview. Money aside --The best( unless perhaps going over 25,000 ft and below -25 Celcius)
Don't talk to Boeing about them.
Lithium
Old 01-28-2013

I see the technical specifications, I wonder what the financial specifications are?! I need to see these in a few years to see what the track record looks like, I'm concerned about potential fire hazard.

Chris

Chris Blegen
La Crosse, WI
1989 SP36 Silver Edition
Old 11-01-2016

Default Live Video on 11/02/2016 at 5 pm PST

For those considering lithium batteries, this live-stream video hosted by Technomadia may be of interest:

http://livestream.com/accounts/10991713/lithium
Old 11-02-2016
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Nice write up on the lithium batteries by Bruce Schwab Marine. But they do their cost analysis with the statement that lead acid batteries only last 2 years in the real world and then state the lithium batteries are charged twice in 3 days. Show me a Wanderlodge with lithium batteries that only charges them twice in 3 days.

"Life often less than two years in real world" (pg13 last line)

Charge twice in three days – One third as often (pg14 second to last line on left)

We know this isn't true. I got 5+ years from my cheap Costco lead acid deep cycles and I'm already over 2 yrs on my Trojan's now and they are going strong. I also didn't see them mention the 25-30% loss people have experienced after only 3 years of being in hot environments (like Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, California, etc)

So I'm going to have to call "bias"
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 11-02-2016
Forum owner

Hey Putz!!
We all know you love lead acid batteries,but you know as well as we know that without good chargers and solar panels the lead acids are only good for 2-3 years.

You and i also know that lead acid batteries get weaker with age too,theres no such thing as a free pony!

My lith battery is going on 3 years of age with no issues,i have gone 48 hours without charging but with not much powered up,just my house fridge and the phone chargers and my computer and the tv and the sat dish at night.
Ohh,and maybe a few lights too.
Dang,forgot about the aquahot and water pump!

I did get a good price on the lith battery,and its 1/3rd the size of the 6 lifelines i had before,and 500lbs lighter.
I did spend more money for it,more than 6 lifelines would have cost but i sold the lifelines and then it worked out about even on the money.

I think if i had some solar panels i would not have to run the genny very often,but i prefer the genny,i already have the genny,it makes power at night,during the day and inside a building,the sun is not as consistent as a diesel genny!

Are we still friends? heheheehehe!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-02-2016
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

I just hate it when they throw out biased data and mislead the public into their way of thinking. They have to use high dollar fancy chargers on their lithium's to keep cell to cell voltages within range for fear of damage but then compare the lead acids using battery boilers? Really, that's a fair comparison?

Generator? Yea, I'll have to find that start switch as I haven't used the generator in so long now I forgot where that switch is?

Did you skip over the part where it say "isolate the battery if over charged, over discharged or cell balancing issues" In English that means you lose ALL POWER if anything is within tolerances! (pg21)

Just sayin... Friend
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 11-02-2016
Forum owner

If i was you i would take the genny out and sell it,why haul it around if you don't use it?
I just use the charger on the inverter,my battery has a battery managment system that cuts off under voltage and over voltage,so i don't have an expensive charger..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com