Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > !!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!!

!!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!! Listed here you will find the MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS that we feel should be performed on your 'Bird. (ONLY ADMINISTRATORS CAN POST HERE)

Site Search:

Old 11-16-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Taking some more of the wander out of the Wanderlodge

Well I finally got away from Randy and Carols this afternoon after a very eventful and somewhat traumatic time, but we also got some work done on both my 'Bird and trailer and the results are very satisfying. Randy replaced my leveling valve adjusting rods with the threaded rods and ball joint style quick couplers and in the process he found that my panhard rod on the rear was in need of repair again, he adjusted my front Koni shocks to the softest setting and adjusted the front end caster and now it steers straighter than before with less wander and I mean A LOT LESS WANDER.

Randy also replaced the cracked torsion axles on my trailer with 4 inch dropped spring type axles, which improved the loading angle of the trailer. The torsion axles were the second set replaced on my trailer under warranty so this time we decided to go with spring style axles, but this set was on my nickel, he also added an additional frame rail to satisfy Dexter Axles so that they would warranty the new axles.

I only drove it 100 miles today but on various types of roads and city streets, but I already can tell the difference after the adjustments and repairs to the 'Bird and trailer, they should make this trip to the west coast more enjoyable.

OH YEH, I also had one of Randy's friends put a laminated image wrap of one of my photos of my race car front end on the trailer door, it turned out better than I had expected, here it is below and it even reflects the tree directly behind the trailer at the Wal Mart campground in Perry, FL.

http://www.pbase.com/image/119456260

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
*****, MOAN, GRIPE, HARASS, I just can't take a day off!! Here's your picture.

http://www.pbase.com/image/119490020

Be sure to also check out;

HOW TO TAKE THE WANDER OUT OF THE WANDERLODGE
A Feature Of The Month from the old forum with detailed pictures and descriptions of things that can be replaced and adjusted to help eliminate some of the wandering that seems to be common with the older model Wanderlodges, there are many pages to this feature, just click on NEXT at the right of each page to go to the next one.
Related threads to also view;

Front and Rear Suspension Panhard Rod Bolt Failure Warning And Repair

KONI FSD Self Adjusting Shocks & KONI Adjustable Shocks, Procedure & Part Numbers

Rear Suspension Panhard Rod Bolt Failure Warning And Repair

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-16-2009
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

John,

Sounds good and Looks good too!

Happy trails~~~~oh wait, now your trail looks more like ________

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 11-16-2009
Forum owner

i have adjusted the caster on 3 birds now,they drive much better,and its not a hard job to do.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-16-2009

John... Looks real nice!
Randy, Do you shim the axle on these Birds?
Old 11-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
i have adjusted the caster on 3 birds now,they drive much better,and its not a hard job to do.
What is involve in the job? Could you elaborate a little?
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 11-16-2009
Forum owner

we were going t get pics ,but somehow we forgot (john was napping)
You do not have to shim the axle Jim.
The 4 link bars on the front axle of the air ride birds have a big bolt at the front of the bars,that bolt has a cam thing on the shank,when you turn that bolt the link bar will move,up,down and forward and backward.
The bolt head has an arrow stamped in it.that arrow is the high spot on the cam.

So,by turning that bolt you can adjust the caster on the front axle.
The caster is the angle that the king pin is in relation to the ground.
To keep the coach going straight down the road you need the axle king pins to be leaning back,the top of the king pin will be further back than the bottom.

We simply adjusted the bolts to the max adjustment.
we did test drive Bruces coach after making a small adjustment,then we adjusted it more and drove it again,the max adjustment made the most improvment in driveability.

Heres what we did,the bolts have a "lock" washer thats welded to the frame,this "lock" keeps the bolt from turning on its own.
We ground the weld off the "locks" and then we loosened the nuts on the bolts,this took a big socket,maybe 1 7/8'' (i don't remember the size) and a big ratchet,3/4'' drive and the handle is 3 feet long,we used a cheater pipe and it took bruce and I both to get them loose.
Then we turned the arrow on the top bolt to face back,the bottom arrow was faced forward,this changed the amount that the king pin was leaned back.

We sure needed pics of this job,i'm sure that makes no sense at all.

After the adjustment we had to weld the ''locks'' back in place to prevent the bolts from turning.
All 3 coachs drove much better after the adjustment.

The later model coachs do not have the welded"locks'',you just loosen the nut,drive the bolt out 1/2'',turn the bolt to the desired location and drive it back in,then tighten the nut.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-17-2009

Sorry Randy, I responded to your post through Email by mistake, so I'll copy and paste.
Thank you Randy. I have seen those bolts you are talking about, and I understand it perfectly. If I remember right, the angle of the king pin, is called "King Pin Inclination", and the angle controls ease of steering. The same way a bicycle fork is. Ever try to ride a bicycle backwards, Or back up your car too fast and have a hard time controlling it? That's what the caster does.Vehicles without power steering, the angle is more, to make it easier, Power steering vehicles, don't need quite as much.
Old 11-17-2009
Complete Greenhorn

Same deal for the steel spring coaches?

1979 FC33 Buddy Luce's bus (looking for a name)

LARGE MARGE - She left me for another man
Old 11-17-2009
Forum owner

Jim,king pin inclination is different,its too hard to explain with pictures (for me anyway).
But,the rest of your comments are right on.
The further you lean the axle back the better/straighter it drives.
And,an added benefit is it will turn sharper too,you guys ever watch a motorgrader work? they lean the wheels way over to turn the machine.
The added caster makes the wheels lean slightly when your turning,helping the vehicle turn.

On every bird that i've looked at,the big bolts were set the same way,in what I call the neutral position.

John C,the steel spring coach does not have adjustable bolts,but you can buy a tapered shim that will do the same thing,you have to loosen the "U" bolts that hold the axle to the springs,slip the shim in place and tighten the "U" bolts.
Your coach needs this,either that or hire woody to drive it for you! hahaaa!!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-17-2009
Forum owner

Report the following images as offensive. Confirm CancelThank you for the feedback.

heres some info on kingpin inclination

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com