Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 12-13-2013

Default Notched Drums

Need two new drums for the drive axle. My speedometer works, but the cruise does not. New notched drums are not available in the time-frame needed. If new un-notched drums are mounted on the drive, will I lose the speedo? (If necessary, I can swap a tag drum to the drive, but would prefer new ones to be on the drive axle.)

Suggestions?

Thanks--

M.R.Kane
1987 PT40 'Sleipnir'
currently in Seguin, TX
Old 12-13-2013

Get in touch with Ryan Saari (turbokitty )
He has notched numerous drums and he is not to busy he may be able to help you out

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 12-13-2013

You don't need two notched drums. Should be the drive axle on the drivers side that has the speedometer pick up. Ryan notched a plain hub for us and it works great. If you elect to go with plain drums you will loose the cruise and the speedometer. I don't think your tag drum will work on the drive axle. different size?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-13-2013

On my 86 PT the tag and drive axle drums are identical size. The ONE drum that needs to be notched is on the passenger side drive axle. The magnetic pickup is for both your speedo and cruise.

If you are lucky enough to have notched drums on more that the drive axle you can certainly move one to the proper location for the mag pickup. Might be a good time to also look carefully at the wear on brake shoes and other associated parts, like S cams and bushings.

It sounds like you're replacing the brakes on the drive axle. If so, be sure to have the notched drum you move from another location, turned at a brake shop. Last summer I replace my drive axle brakes shoes. could not find a notched drum. My existing drums only had about 5 or 10 thousands of wear on them. So I had them turned before putting it all back together. Everything works great. And I saved a whole bunch of money.

This summer we are having a "brake rally" in Vernon NJ. Pulling all six drums for Steve Papas. Cleanin', replacin', paintin' adjustin', and greasin' his entire brake system. He should be able to stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change. Well...maybe not nine cents...perhaps seven or eight.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 12-14-2013

My mechanic believes the transmission (700 series allison, with push-button control pad) outputs the data to the speedometer, and the wheel sensor is only for the cruise control. Other BB experts say the special drum is for both.

Due to time constraints, after passing inspection, the tag axle notched drum was placed on the curb-side drive. The new drums were mounted to the street-side drive and curb-side tag positions.

(This was total R/R of the brakes, seals, and bearings on the drive axle. Last year all the other axles were similarly renewed.)

--M.R.Kane
1987 PT40 'Sleipnir'
currently in Seguin, TX
Old 12-15-2013

Sounds like you done well on this project.

On the mag pick up on the right drive wheel, mine has 4 wires. 2 for speedo and 2 for cruise. I would think if your cruise ran off the trans you would have only 2 wires. I believe 86 and 87 and probably more years, used the mag pickup for both speed and cruise.

If you're still having problems with the pick up, try adjusting it as the factory told me to do in mine when I replaced it.

Here is what they told me, it worked fine.

Take a business card, fold it in half, use it as a feeler gauge to set the spacing between pick up and drum. I did this about 6 years ago and it worked just as the factory guys said.

Did you remember to adjust the brake air can travel to about 1 inch?

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 12-20-2013

After my cracked drum experience this past summer, my speedo/cruise still didn't work. Today I finally got under there to poke around and see what was going on. I first tried Don's suggestion about adjusting the sensor, because after looking at mine and Steve's together in the next bay, I realized I could fit my finger in between the sensor end and drum. A few turns and something didn't look right, so I unscrewed. Pictures show what I found. Time for a new one. Mine doesn't have 4 wires on it though, just 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131220_125549.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	26237   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131220_125557.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	26238   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131220_125616.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	26239   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131220_125625.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	26240  
VB 1570
Old 12-20-2013

Wow....obviously came in contact with the drum. Good find Markus.

Seems strange though that your 86 has only 2 wires and my 86 has 4. Yours probably splits somewhere along the line to run the speed and cruise.

Remember to tighten the lock nut when you get the gap set on the new mag pick up.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 12-20-2013

Don - maybe I'm wrong. I ordered the same part number Shane gave me, made by Hewitt Industries. Looking at their specs, it seems to maybe show 2 wires wrapped in the same wrap making it look like just 2 wires? I do know my old sensor had two studs on it with the wires connected via post connectors to those lugs. Looked like only two wires coming into the old one but again, maybe it was 2 together on each side and just looked like one?

http://www.hewittindustries.com/Magn...%20REV%20C.pdf

Hopefully there are instructions with the new one, the wire colors seem to be different than what's on the bus, but I'll have to see for sure when it arrives.
VB 1570
Old 12-20-2013

Could the difference be the transmission? The 8V92 has an electronic trans(ATEC) and the 6V92 is purely mechanical.
Kansas, Il