Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > !!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!!

!!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!! Listed here you will find the MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS that we feel should be performed on your 'Bird. (ONLY ADMINISTRATORS CAN POST HERE)

Site Search:

Old 02-19-2014

Question Racor Gauge in Red - Cold Fuel?

We left Chicago heading for Florida on Feb 12th. I think we have had the coldest winter on record. The Monday night before we left it was 4 degrees below zero. On the trip down the Racor fuel gauge was about half way in the red zone, about 50 in, pretty much for the whole trip down. I have faithfully been adding Power Service antigel fuel supplement every time I fuel up. I have never driven in such cold weather before. Do I have a mechanical problem, or is it just thick fuel? I can imagine it takes a long time for 200 gallons of fuel to warm up. We have been parked in Orlando for 5 days, and now when I turn on the ignition the pusher pump has the Racor gauge at +3 in. Is it normal for the Racor gauge to be in the red in cold weather?
Old 02-19-2014
Goat rails in the sunset

The pusher pump should lower the vacuum reading. By pusher pump I mean a fuel pump between Racor and fuel tank. A puller pump between RAcor and engine creates vacuum at the cannister, a pusher would decrease vacucm.

3-inches of vacuum is within spec, I think the recommended change is at 5 to 7 inches. But I'm going to guess-timate that 3-inches with a pusher pump is time to change the filter element.

If you want some Racor info about your filter, here's a document from the files download area of WOG:

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...l%20System.pdf

BTW, 50-inches of vacuum isn't possible to read on the Racor guage in my coach. But I need reading glasses to read the scale anyway, perhaps you do too!

Have fun in the sun
Full-time in 2019
Old 02-19-2014
Administrator

I would suggest changing the Racor filter for the return trip & carry a few spares.
Old 02-19-2014

The answer to your question is no. Cold fuel is not "jelled" fuel. If it is cold enough to "jelled" more than likely your engine will shut off. If the gauge is in the red it is time for a new filter.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 02-20-2014
Black Sheep Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCich View Post
On the trip down the Racor fuel gauge was about half way in the red zone, about 50 in, pretty much for the whole trip down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbedinger View Post
BTW, 50-inches of vacuum isn't possible to read on the Racor guage in my coach.
29.92 in/Hg is the most vacuum possible at sea level. My Racor gauge goes to 15 in/Hg. The other scale is k something I can't read either.

TOM
Old 02-20-2014

When my pusher pump quit, gage went red, make sure the facet pump is clicking by the curb side rear axle, inside the frame rail. New pump, all good. Your experience may vary.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 02-20-2014

Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I did check the facet pump, it is clicking, but does that necessarily mean it is working? Could it still be bad?
Old 02-20-2014
Campground Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
The answer to your question is no. Cold fuel is not "jelled" fuel. If it is cold enough to "jelled" more than likely your engine will shut off. If the gauge is in the red it is time for a new filter.
Cold fuel gels. The wax drops out. And the filter will catch it. Depending on if its #1 or #2, start at about zero. (#2 about 15 w/o treatment) Changing the filter will help. I have found that if the filter gets gel, it will not clean up again with warm fuel. (maybe really warm it would) I lost fuel the other day at -20. Started up and idled for 5 - 10 minutes, then took off slow, got about 5 miles down the road. On the shoulder I change the filter and was ok for about 50 miles. Filter was showing a lot of vacuum. Bought some warm fuel. (stored under ground), and I was back in business, all good. Antigel helps, but will not always do the trick.
www.xcreekrv.com
35°31'08.6"N 83°03'38.8"W
Old 02-20-2014

Tom, thanks for the reply. You are correct, my gauge has 2 scales cmHG and inHG, and I was reading the metric scale. I was running at about 20 in HG. My gauge goes to 30 in HG, which corresponds to the maximum.
Old 02-20-2014

I think it is interesting that after several days in moderate weather you are seeing "normal" readings. That fact alone would tend to support your thoughts about the fuel being cold as the prime factor.

I would suggest:

Check and determine if your coach has a RACOR fuel heating element and check for proper function. Most of the RACOR manuals I think are on the site here and as I recall have a troubleshooting section.

IF you have any doubts...now is the time to change both filters - before your back on the road. It also will serve to remove this as a possible cause IF it reoccurs.

Also years ago I had my FACET fuel pump stop...I just replaced it. Later I cleaned and used compressed air to "back flush" the old pump and it started working again (kept as a spare). I also blew out the fuel lines from the RACOR back to the tank (fuel cap off). If you have any concerns about the pump...perhaps a cleaning/blow out would be worth the effort?

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79