Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 11-16-2008

Default Stainless Exhaust

The exhaust is designed without a muffler. There are no baffles to rot out or break. The tubing is 100 percent 304 14 gauge stainless steel The turnout is ninety degrees and miter cut so there would be none or very minimal water entry into the exhaust. You would have to place a garden hose directly into the tube and fill the tube with water to get any in the engine.
If a drain is placed in the tube it would create a venturi effect and could be create a whistle

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 11-16-2008

the exhaust byproducts of diesel exhaust are sulphur and nitrous oxides and water vapor when the exhaust cools going up the stack the vapour condenses and produces a mild acid that is what is probably rotting out the mufflers
you wonder why the muffler totally rots from the inside out from top to bottom and not from the outside when the stack is open from the top allowing the elements to enter

www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Old 11-16-2008
davidmbrady

Hi Stephen,

What you're describing reinforces the notion that some sort of collector be fabricated to drain those noxious mixtures. You don't want an acid solution saturating the turbine blades or making their way into the exhaust manifold or exhaust valves. Again, I'm no expert, but it would it would be interesting to see how over the road trucks handle this problem. It could be that because they run their motors 90% of the time, they don't worry about it, but if you're in a campground for a month you might be.

David Brady
'02 LXi, NC
Old 11-16-2008

David call me

www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Old 11-16-2008

Options For Stack Turnout
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stack End Options.JPG
Views:	735
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	772  
Old 11-16-2008
Forum owner

most trucks don't have anything on the bottom of the stacks,but on a truck the bottom of the stack is way below the engine,it would take alot of water to fill it up.
one thing you want to be sure of,don't park or stand near a non-running truck right after a rain storm,when they start it up everything nearby gets a bath of sooty water!

and,some trucks do have a sump and a drain on the bottom of the stack.
the sump doubles as a mount that holds up the stack,basicly its a "cup" welded to the bottom of the elbow,the cup has a nipple welded to the bottom,the nipple goes into a rubber mount and that supports the stack from the bottom.
the center of the nipple has a small drain hole in it.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-17-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
most trucks don't have anything on the bottom of the stacks,but on a truck the bottom of the stack is way below the engine,it would take alot of water to fill it up.
one thing you want to be sure of,don't park or stand near a non-running truck right after a rain storm,when they start it up everything nearby gets a bath of sooty water!

and,some trucks do have a sump and a drain on the bottom of the stack.
the sump doubles as a mount that holds up the stack,basicly its a "cup" welded to the bottom of the elbow,the cup has a nipple welded to the bottom,the nipple goes into a rubber mount and that supports the stack from the bottom.
the center of the nipple has a small drain hole in it.

Years ago I had a similar experience standing next to a recently shut down Volvo semi tractor, that probably had an oil leak, possibly in the turbo and when he started it up again I got an oil shower, it hadn't been raining so I knew it wasn't water from rain anyway. I have never stood next to any exhaust pipe since then, when the engine was being started.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-17-2008

Dick

The 90 degree tip would eliminate most if not all of the water issue however a flapper would completely close that loop.
I agree with all the suggestions given by all. In addition with a straight pipe engine performance would improve since the muffler back pressure is gone. Diesel nose will not be much more than what it is now, maybe 10 DB higher.
Dick your Bonanza did have a straight pipe on it. Welcome back to TGO we are at lot 187 Plantation for the winter.

Hisham and Sue Amaral
97 WLWB
W. Bloomfield MI
Old 11-17-2008

Default Stainless exhaust

WE have modified the Exhaust tip to include a 6" cover that is welded to the stack with standoffs
Now it will look like a 6" tube exiting the coach with a ninety degree turnout There is no chance of water entry form the elements.The only way water can enter the system is by deliberate injection.
(eh hose eh)

www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267

Last edited by Stephen; 11-17-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-17-2008
davidmbrady

Stephen,

Sorry I didn't have time to call last night.

The 90 deg turn out at the top is probably sufficient for 95% of driving rain (torrential) conditions. Now we need to address condensation. I'm certain that the drain hole at the bottom of my stock muffler is there primarily for condensation (and secondarily, to catch some of that last 5%). Sitting in a campground in a humid environment is bound to create daily condensation situation (assuming temp swings are sufficient to pass thru the dew point). I still don't want those acids heading towards the turbo. How 'bout a sump and drain nipple?

David Brady
'02 LXi, NC