Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:
View Poll Results: Some are having issues with this thread, help us by answering this poll
Close this thread 4 4.49%
Add a moderator to moderate all posts, before allowing it in this thread or moving it to a new one. 6 6.74%
Leave it as it is. 79 88.76%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
Sat here drinking coffee and looking at the tracking for the motor oil.. Looks like shipping is taking the oil on more miles than I've traveled this year - HaHa! Someday it will arrive and I can finish the annual service. Thinking that I might just buy a 55 Gallon drum next year and have all the 40w for 5 years.

Randy not sure if you have checked out the Rural King store here in Dothan, but it might be worth your time next time you are over here. Kinda like Tractor Supply had a baby with Harbor Freight. Lots of parts and pieces, lots of tools, lots of not 40w oil, even baby pigs and full size farm tractors. Good times. It is where the K-Mart use to be on 431 heading North out of Dothan.

Bruce,Ed Wimberly has a drum of oil for a 2 stroke for sale.
He sold his PT36,and now has an S 60,he no longer needs the oil he bought for the PT.
Hes over in Perry Ga,not a bad ride.

Rural king? i have never been in one,if they have baby pigs,i'm in!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-13-2019

Default Wire size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I would use a heavier gauge wire for that heater. Most trailer wire I've seen is 16 and even some 18. I wouldn't use lighter than 14 for the heater.

Rest of that work is going great. Nice job on the bumper.

You are correct, I just checked the electrical drawing and the heater wires are specified as 14 gauge. I will get the proper wire and hopefully a set of 4 circuit connectors later today. If I can not find a proper connector, I will use bullet connectors, though I prefer to have a single connector set.
1988 PT 40 "Silver Shadow"
88 Jeep Cherokee "Indy"
Old 01-13-2019

Jim - I second what rick said. Those trailer connectors are cheaply made, too. I would suggest doing a weatherpack or metripack GM connector... So much better.

Bruce - for the record I just got a couple gallons of Delo 100 from O'Relly last week and it only took 1 day to arrive. They have a 55 gallon drum for $998. Rosmella T1 40wt is common around here are the farm stores (Tractor Supply) and is completely within DD's 2-stroke specs.
Old 01-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Grab 'em now, when Shane gets back from Q we can BBQ at your place.
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 96k
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others
Old 01-13-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplamb View Post
Grab 'em now, when Shane gets back from Q we can BBQ at your place.
Now thats an idea!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Bruce,Ed Wimberly has a drum of oil for a 2 stroke for sale.
He sold his PT36,and now has an S 60,he no longer needs the oil he bought for the PT.
Hes over in Perry Ga,not a bad ride.

I love Rural King! They are one of my favorite places to go to. Not everything is a "deal", but most of the time you come away paying less at Rural King. They have a lot of name brand stuff like Carhartt, Wolverine, Milwaukee, etc. They have pigs, chix, ducks, rabbits at different times. It's a fun place to go. When I had my engine reworked last year I got my coolant from them and saved almost a hundred bucks on their sale price, from the lowest price I could find. There are Rural Kings all over the place up here and I'm happy If you like popcorn you can eat your fill while shopping too.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 01-14-2019

All but one day/night blind is in the 92 WB40, all the lighting is done - 21 LED replacements for F15T8s in their respective fixtures and replaced all the remaining 110V fluorescents with 3000K color rather than the mixture in the coach. Looks a lot better. Got quite a bit more to do inside and out but here's a better profile of the interior of this coach than that offered in the ad sent to Randy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GhiB2uFD4Ri4NDs36
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 96k
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others
Old 01-15-2019

Default Bedroom heater installed

The bedroom heater is installed, with 14Gauge wire. I had to use 3 crimp-on bullet connectors as none of the auto parts stores I checked had any multi-circuit connectors. I will buy a kit of them on Amazon, I guess. A small gas leak was corrected by disassembling, cleaning and reconnecting the pipe to the heater. I checked and tightened just a little bit more to get rid of the last tiny bit of leak. The heaters both work well and warm up the coach nicely.

I still have a bunch of little things to do, but it looks pretty certain that we will be leaving Thursday morning and heading to Q with 2 overnight stops along the way.

Tonight I was sussing out the electrical system / battery bank and inverter. With no significant inverter load, but lights and heaters running the inverter/charger says I have about 7 hours runtime. I suppose with all the lights out that would last even longer just running the heaters. The problem (as I see it) is hot water - the inverter does not seem to power the hot water heater in Shadow. The microwave / convection oven definitely runs off the inverter, and when I use it in convection preheat mode the runtime drops to about 1/2 hour! Seems to me like I probably need a new battery bank?

I will look through the battery / charging system threads and see what I can learn.

With 4 Trojan T-105 batteries ( which are currently in series/parallel with a group 31 starting battery ) what kind of behavior should I expect ? or maybe a better thing to ask is what is your battery bank and what kinds of loads does it support for you in real life?

Also, do your inverters run the water heater ? ( seems like a very big load to me. do we just need to plan to take showers during or soon after generator hours? )

Thanks for any insight!
1988 PT 40 "Silver Shadow"
88 Jeep Cherokee "Indy"
Old 01-15-2019

Noticed a spot on the cac that was being rubbed by the grille. JB weld on cac and grinder on the inside of grill sheet metal, all is better, for now.
Can't relax with a bus, don't happen.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 01-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorton View Post
The microwave / convection oven definitely runs off the inverter, and when I use it in convection preheat mode the runtime drops to about 1/2 hour! Seems to me like I probably need a new battery bank?

With 4 Trojan T-105 batteries ( which are currently in series/parallel with a group 31 starting battery ) what kind of behavior should I expect ? or maybe a better thing to ask is what is your battery bank and what kinds of loads does it support for you in real life?
That is about right, actually. The t-105's are what, 225ah each? So in series/parallel that means you have 450 amp-hours at 12v, but you can only really use half of that, so 225ah@12v. That's 2700 watt-hours and would let you run the convection (drawing about 15 amps@120v) for about 45 minutes in a perfect world. If you factor in the inefficiency of the inverter you're probably closer to 30 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorton View Post
Also, do your inverters run the water heater ? ( seems like a very big load to me. do we just need to plan to take showers during or soon after generator hours?
I used to, but I switch to an on-demand LP water heater so I wasn't using my battery up for hot water, and I don't like to plan taking a shower that precisely!

Technically, if your inverter can run the conv/microwave it should be able to run the water heater, too. But it's likely not wired into the inverter, I'm guessing.