Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 01-04-2009

is yours a side bath or rear bath?
Our Address is 1900 Slack St. Pea Ridge Ark. 72751,
Just east of Bentonville, Ark, in the North West Corner
Old 01-04-2009
Senior

When the coach was new there should have been 4 power cords furnished with the coach. Two for 30 amps with male connectors at one end and female connectors at the other to be plugged into the two 30 amp male receptacles on the outside of the coach. Each of these receptacles furnished power to 1/2 of the main breaker panel as Tim said. There was also a 50 amp cable (thickest one) with 50 amp female on one end and a 50Amp male at the other to be connected to the 50Amp male receptacle. Then there was a 30 amp cable with a 30A male connector on one end and a 50 amp female at the other end. This 30A cable would then furnish power to the whole power panel as Tim noted.

Maybe we can have a BB gathering at the Birds Nest where we could have a seminar on these things and actually repair/modify or upgrade some coaches with Tims help. Is it possible?
6V92
Old 01-04-2009

I just live about 12 miles from the nest , I dont know if yall, heard , the they are supposed to start charging to park at the nest starting the first, no guard now, you have to have an access code to get in
Old 01-04-2009
jcoop0001

Tim

You nailed it. it is the switch for the TV. (mid bath)

The switch was by it's self, not on the pannel.

I wish I was closer to the nest, I would love to join in a rally.

Q Rally is coming up, but don't have the time or feel like the coach is ready to go.

Thanks again
Old 01-04-2009

sounds like your gettin close , ,
Old 01-04-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
ok, I hate to sound like a know it all, but after 34 year workin on these things , I have learned a whole lot, and on your power cords, lets think back to when this coach was built, originally it had 3 plugs to plugs cords into, they were color coded, 2 had yellow tape one the and one had red tape one it, the yellow plugs were 30 amps 120v each, but to use your coach properly both were suppesed to be hooked at the same time , giving you 60 amps to use , only one cord was to be used for the red or 50 amp 240vplus,either the 50 amp 240v or the 30 amp 120v cord with the red tape on it, it has a 50 amp end on it ,so it would only plug into the correct plug, its the cheater cord, allows all systems to work only giving you lower amps, 30 instead of 50
there ya go, power cord 101
Here is a page from my web site that will show what you are referring to;

As you can read in the description, there WAS a cheater cord that came with the 'Bird from the factory, but it disappeared along the way, so I purchased a 50AMP to 30AMP dogbone cheater/adapter to use the heavier 50AMP cord on a 30AMP RV plug, I just have to be a lot more careful of what I choose to run inside the 'Bird since it is now sending power to both sides of the circuit breaker panel.

http://www.tweetys.com/powergripdogb...er30m-50f.aspx

My 'Bird came with a separate 2 circuit breaker box directly below the larger electrical panel, the smaller one had two 30 amp circuit breakers inside that allowed the 30 amp cord service to reach the two sides of the larger panel above it. If one of your 30 amp receptacles on the 'Bird is not working, check to see if you have one of these 30 amp circuit breakers TRIPPED, that needs to be reset. When resetting any circuit breaker, I find that turning it completely all the way off and then on several times will reset them, whereas just turning it back on from where it is when you first find it sometimes depending on the breaker, will not reset it properly. Your 30AMP breakers for the 30AMP cord receptacles on your 'Bird may be incorporated into the large panel, but CHECK FOR A TRIPPED OR DEFECTIVE 30AMP CIRCUIT BREAKER.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-04-2009
Forum owner

hey guys,i'm sure tim would love to come to a rally and help out!
just don't forget,he works on birds for a living!
its great that hes giving us free tips on this site,but we can't expect him to work for free!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-04-2009

thats a great picture, good going!!
Old 01-04-2009
Former Bird Owner

The older WLs had dual 30 amp cords and a 50 amp cord. 50 amp service was once pretty uncommon in RV parks, but is now quite common.

THe two 30 amp cords were supposed to power each "leg" of the coach, giving you about 2/3 of the power as the 50 amp (240 vac) power cord. (50 amps at 240 = 100 amps at 120.) As noted, various switches had to be set "right."

Make life simple. Just use the 50 amp cord and get a 'dog bone' adaptor to use with 30 amps when available. Almost no RV park makes it practical to use the dual 30 amp cords as most power pedestals have 50, 30, and 20 amp sockets. The 20 amp socket is GFI protected and if you 'cheat' it will blow (because the internal RV wiring uses a single common that unbalances the GFI sensor). The dog bone adaptor simply splits the 30 amp hot to the two hot legs in the 50 amp plug.

The newer Wanderlodges only have 50 amp cords. I've used 30 amp service many times with no trouble (so long as I watch my power use and don't try to use more than one power hungry device at a time). Keep in mind that 30 amps is only 30% of the power you'd have available with a "50 amp" connection (which is really 100 amps at 120 vac).

On one occasion, I was able to use a separate cheater box* to get power from two power pedestals -- but this was done with the knowledge and suggestion of the RV park. (I'd reserved a 50 amp spot, but when we arrived, someone else was plugged into the 50 amp circuit on "my" pedestal. The Park manager provided an extension cord to use with my cheater box so I could get 30 amp power from two different pedestals at the same time. (The RV using "my" 50 amp socket was leaving the next day.) Most RV parks are not so accommodating and might object to multiple power connections.

*A cheater box has a 50 amp socket with two short cords with 30 amp connectors. In theory, you can use one 30 and a 20 amp plug together -- but since all 20 amp RV park pedestal plugs have GFI on them, it doesn't work. So, I've successfully only been able to use my cheater box successfully a couple of times. In retrospect, I need not have bothered to spend the money on it.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 01-04-2009

What ya need to do is use the 50a cord with a 30a adapter. Forget about them 30a cords.
MH
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/