Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 12-28-2009

Bill,

It looks pretty straight forward if you install them let us know how they work.

Denny
727 631 3844

1980 FC 33' SB
Old 12-28-2009

My indicators have always worked very well except recently. Now the grey tank 3/4 light comes on when the 1/4 light comes on. Does that make any sense to anyone? Makes no sense to me. I wish there were a flush system in the grey tank like the black tank, but this might be an exterior issue.
Old 12-28-2009
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
My indicators have always worked very well except recently. Now the grey tank 3/4 light comes on when the 1/4 light comes on. Does that make any sense to anyone? Makes no sense to me. I wish there were a flush system in the grey tank like the black tank, but this might be an exterior issue.
Ron I lived in my 94 for five years and the one thing I learned about those sensors is that the internal flush is the answer. I would run fresh water through the flush for a couple of hours and they would revert to normal after that.
Old 12-28-2009

Rob, did your 94 have a flush on the grey tank? That would be ideal. It works great on the black tank.
Old 12-28-2009
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Rob, did your 94 have a flush on the grey tank? That would be ideal. It works great on the black tank.
Ron yes I had a spray system in the grey tank. I put that in last year but really didn't need it. I never did have any problem with the grey tank but had an extra spray nozzle so I put it in. My grey guages never failed or read incorrectly
Old 12-29-2009

Rob, after allowing the grey tank to fill, the 3/4 sensor is now working properly again, so maybe I don't need a spray system in that tank. However, it would be an improvement. A project for the retired... How'd you do it? Where'd you get the nozzle. How'd you plumb it in? I am not sure I want to put a hole in that tank, but the top is accessible near the sensors.
Old 12-29-2009
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Rob, after allowing the grey tank to fill, the 3/4 sensor is now working properly again, so maybe I don't need a spray system in that tank. However, it would be an improvement. A project for the retired... How'd you do it? Where'd you get the nozzle. How'd you plumb it in? I am not sure I want to put a hole in that tank, but the top is accessible near the sensors.
Ron the internal flush systems are just a flanged spray system that screws right to the side of the tank about 4 or 5 inches down from the top edge. They are designed to work in a vertical plane. You drill the appropriate hole (hole saw) and screw in the usual 3 SS screws through the flange. Don't forget to silicon around the hole before inserting unit and screwing it down tight. I have taken my black tank flush unit out several times to clean it's orifices which can clog with small grains of sand or sediment. Just re-silicon and tighten up the screws.
Old 03-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
Bill in 2007 Don Bradner posted about his repair. A search should find his post. Also there is some new things out now that have shields on them to keep crud from fouling the sensors. I'll look to see if I have the url
Installed the Horst probes, cleaned up the extra butt connector mangled wiring from the original probes that were (EWWW) nasty. Indicator lights are OK at this time, flash light in the hole level same as indicated on panel.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 05-20-2012

good discussion y'all on the issues concerning holding tank sensors.

I am thinking about replacing mine with the ones sold by PPL

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...ank-probes.htm

I do however have some questions:

1. Where are the sensors located for the grey water tank? There appears to be none on the front of the grey tank, like the black tank.

2. Before I jump into replacing the sensors, can they simply be removed and cleaned? If so, how would you go about doing it?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2012

I installed the Horst probes and they worked fine for about 3 months and the I had to remove them and clean them. I also have the internal sprayer as Rob does but it doesn't work for me. So what I am planning to do is get a curved gutter cleaner attachment for my power washer, remove the plate for the internal sprayer and blast the poo out of the tank. Will let you guys know hoe that works.