Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 02-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
heres when we need a marvel mystery oil injection machine,a good shot of MMO will probably fix this problem.

Can we inject oil at the schrader vavle in the rear of the coach and it not go through the air dryer?
Randy,

You've got me thinking, this is something I should do. I've got a few sticky air valves here and there.
How much Marvel Mystery Oil would you add?
I've also got to look at my drawings to see if the schrader valve in the engine compartment, bypasses the air dryer. Does anyone know?
Westchester Sandblast
Old 02-15-2010
Forum owner

a cap full is what my buddy tells me.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-24-2013

Bump!!!

Susan Bliss has a 1988 FC 300 HP CAT with the Bendix Cruise/Air Throttle which has an air leak that appears to be coming from the Williams Treadle Valve below the accelerator pedestal.

Susan and Crit: this thread has removal info along with pics too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giderich View Post

Rob; Did you have any luck with the correct part number for the throttle valve on your FC.

Just this afternoon following a test run on my '89 FC, I experienced a lack of "full throttle" when I pushed the treadle to the floor. This was noticed when I started the return leg of my test run from Rolla, MO to Cuba, MO. & occured after stopping for lunch at one of our favorite spots.

The rpm's would only go to approx 1900 or 2100 and that was after pushing on past the 'kick down' button. Cruise and Fast Idle are working normally. When I got back to my parking pad at my home I immediately opened the doghouse to watch the throttle and listen for air leaks.

Upon depressing the Air Treadle, an air leak can be heard in the vicinity of the treadle valve, and eventually the governor arm (throttle) moves but not to WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and the air leak sound gets much louder, the further the treadle is pressed down. No leak at all until the treadle is depressed...when you release the treadle the air leak stops.

Exactly how do you access the valve and do further checking.

Even with the new metric throttle cable installed, the intermittent 'poor throttle response' seems to still be bugging my FC.

I did a 30 mile trial run 2 days ago to check out the new cable and results were excellent. Now I'm guessing this air leak at the treadle could be intermittent and or temperature related and has been lurking on my coach since I've owned the FC for the past 2 1/2 years. Often times the Air Throttle would sometimes not open fully especially when warm.

Rob, sounds like you've enabled me to identify the real culprit. In addition to having the mechanical stickiness of the cable...an occasional air leak or bypass through the exhaust port at the treadle valve may be the cause of my weak throttle.

Anyone else being plagued with air throttle trouble? Will wait til I get some comments before removing the valve. All suggestions welcome.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 10-24-2013

Thanks for your help, Dick!
Cape Cod,ma
Old 10-24-2013

Crit, Robert Brit's post #9 gives excellent guidance and yes he is correct...after grill removal, the driver's side access panel needs to be removed to gain access to the air lines on the Williams throttle valve.

Robert was very helpful and encouraged me to tackle the complete changeout of the valve rather than change only the spool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
Thanks for your help, Dick!
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 03-04-2014

SORRY! THIS JUMPED TO THE WRONG THREAD!!! MAYBE SOMEBODY CAN MOVE IT TO THE TREDDLE VALVE THREAD? I am having an issue with my throttle too, I think. The problem is that sometimes throttle response is delayed up to 10 seconds or so. Going down the highway its not as noticable but at low speed it is sometimes very slow to engage the throttle. Worse case scenerio is you are stopped waiting to get on a busy freeway with a bunch of cars behind you. Traffic clears up ahead and you tromp on the pedal to enter the freeway. Nothing. You could sit there for 5 to 10 seconds and then it will finally accelerate fine. Plenty of air pressure on the gauges. Shouldn't the throttle response be much quicker? The tach just sits there as well so I know its not tranny slippage. During this dead time, the engine is not responding at all.
Does this sound like the treadle valve needs a rebuild? Or?????

Thanks, Phil Swanson
1995 Baby Bird
Old 03-04-2014
Administrator

it may help if you listed the engine model, electronic or air, etc
Old 03-04-2014

Phil, if I remember right there is an air control valve in the engine compartment that has some adjustments on it. It is connected to the throttle linkage. I would suspect you might have a problem there as the previous owner had it worked on several times.

Bill, Baby Bird has a Cummins 5.9 with air throttle (pusher).
Old 03-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britton View Post
Phil, if I remember right there is an air control valve in the engine compartment that has some adjustments on it. It is connected to the throttle linkage. I would suspect you might have a problem there as the previous owner had it worked on several times.

Bill, Baby Bird has a Cummins 5.9 with air throttle (pusher).
Yes, I know about that air control valve. Someone had left the return spring off it and it was not returning to idle properly. Baby Bird has been doing this since I first bought it. In fact I think you mentioned it had a pause in it when I picked it up. So you dont think it is the treadle valve? I wonder how to tell for sure which end is the problem before I tear into either.
I did buy a treadle valve repair kit. Incidently that treadle valve (or the kit) have almost doubled in price since you bought yours. The kit costs what you paid for the whole valve now. Taking it back to Vegas this weekend. Thanks!

Phil Swanson
95 Blue Bird
Old 03-04-2014

Maybe with the air pressure built up and engine off, have your wife sit in the driver seat while you monitor from engine bay...have her apply throttle while you watch and see if there is a delayed response in the back and or an air leak. You should be able to hear the air at the rear control valve when she applies throttle.

If nothing happens there in the back when she applies the throttle, then maybe the problem is in the treadle valve like you suspect?