Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 02-27-2010

John,

I checked my battery compaartment this morning. The blower fan that I have sucks air out of the charger compartment through the battery compartment and out the side wall grill of the battery compartment. It is on a manual switch. I looks like a pretty good system. I may change the manual switch to a temp switch with a sensor located in the changer compartment. The charger compartment is mostly sealed execept a few holes for air intake and then the back of the charger compartment has two cut outs where each of the chargers are so that intake air is drawn in over them from the engine side or back of the compartment and vented out through the fan system described above. The two cut outs in theback of the compartment behind the chargers are about 3" x 3".

Do you think I should cover these cut out areas so that spray from the tag and drive wheels do not cause damage tot he prosine? They are to the interior or engine/transmission side of the charger compartment.

If you think I should cover them what do you think I should do for make up air in the charger compartment?

Thanks for the help!

Matt
Old 02-27-2010

Matt, I can't answer that one. Sounds like your situation is a little different from mine. That's the rule on BB'd. You have to figure a way to cool the pro-sine and to keep it dry. I just cut a hole and put a cover over it which seems to keep it dry keeps water out of the hole. I'll get online and see if I can find the cover I used.

Ok, found it Attwood Clam Shell Vent I just placed this over the hole I cut and angled it down and back a little. Haven't had a problem.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold

Last edited by bubblerboy64; 02-27-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: add information
Old 02-28-2010

Matt- you definitely do not want any road spray getting into that compartment. I would highly recommend drawing clean, outside air into the compartment and sucking it out into the engine compartment. I was able to accomplish this with a 4" hole drilled into the curb side of the the coach and covering it with a clamshell or vent cover like BB used for the Splendide washer and dryer setups. If you do not vent the compartment and allow the road spray to get in there, the ProSine won't last more than a year or two. Here's what the vents look like-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clamshell vent.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	4285  

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 02-28-2010

Gents

Thanks for the replies. Your infromation is very much appreciated.

Do you think I could just fabricate a larger clam shell over the interior/transmission side openings? They are a good 8-12 inches behind the wheel well and appear to be forward of the engine. I think I could keep the water out by doing this.

Do you think the air comming from this side of the compartment may be too warm for the prosine and it would be better to close them off and cut a new opening in the door of the compartment and installing the clam cover you suggested?
Old 03-01-2010

Hi Matt,

That sounds like it would work fine too. I'd put a clamshell on the door of the compartment as well. I seem to recall that the '87's had a door on the curbside. I'd put a fan on the inside wall- pushing the air out near the trans, instead of drawing it in there.

shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 03-01-2010

Shane

Correct there is a door on the cub side to the compartment but I already have a fan drawing the air out of the charger compartment throught the battery/engine compartment.

Do you think I can only use the exisitng two 3" square openings with a clam shell over them that are on the transmission or inboard side of the compartment or do you think I still need to cut the opening in the door for additional incoming air?

My concern is that the exisitng openings on the inboard side of the compartment will draw in too much warm air that is created by the engine and will not provide the cooling effect I am trying to create for the prosine.

You should note that the original two 50 amp chargers have been opereating under this method for many years with no clam covering the openings.

The both work fine but cook the batteries.
Old 03-01-2010

Shane's option is worth more then mine so I certainly would take his suggestions here. I copied what he did with his coach as much as I could. They are all different.

That being said, I'd want the air flow the right direction. It's also rather difficult to know what amount of cooling is required with either the old chargers or the pro-sine. I understand your concerns because when you reverse the air flow you also are introducing the possibility of pulling water into the compartment.

My bus does not have the grills that are on the 40 PT so I really had no option other then cutting a hole. And my pro-sine is really tucked back up almost over the wheel well. If my memory serves me correctly you have a larger compartment in which to locate the pro-sine.

Maybe Shane can give you more specific advice. I understand your concerns. Can you rotate, turn or locate the pro-sine in some manor to get it protected by virtue of it's location? Sitting more inboard perhaps. It's a little hard for me to visualize your exact situation.

Shane, Tom Sorrentino has a very similar situation how did he locate his inverter charger?

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 03-01-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Here is what I did to take care of the hot air that is generated inside of the Battery charger converter/Inverter compartment.

http://www.pbase.com/image/122389772

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/108945742

The fan on the rear wall is a little difficult to see in the picture behind the inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHARGER INVERTER COMPARTMENT FANS.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	596.3 KB
ID:	4293   Click image for larger version

Name:	INVERTER - CHARGER COMPARTMENT DOOR VENTS.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	4294  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-01-2010

John and John,

I think I have enough information to give this a try. What I will do is get started and post any install problems I encounter.

Once completed, I will post photos so that others with similar rigs can see what I did.

Thanks again to all of you for the advise and pics.

Sincerely,

Matt
Old 03-01-2010

Hi Matt,

The old boilers do not have the electronic circuitry that a ProSine unit does. They are just transformers for the most part. The ProSine is much more sensitive to moisture and will need cool, clean, dry air to operate properly. For this reason, I would draw the air in from / through the door with a clamshell and exhaust it into the engine bay or on the inside wall that faces the tranny. John Heckman's seems like your best option to me- since your two coaches are somewhat alike.

shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912