Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 06-14-2010

yes Kip, you should be able to jump the ac, the spade connectors on the left side of the circuit board are for the fan speeds and the relay with the 2 black wires connected, is the compresssor relay , just touch the wires together for the compressor to run
Our Address is 1900 Slack St. Pea Ridge Ark. 72751,
Just east of Bentonville, Ark, in the North West Corner
Old 06-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
yes Kip, you should be able to jump the ac, the spade connectors on the left side of the circuit board are for the fan speeds and the relay with the 2 black wires connected, is the compresssor relay , just touch the wires together for the compressor to run
tim I'm not sure where that relay is. there is one tucked down at the bottom of the board with a bunch of wires going to it. I'm not seeing two black wires. Is that where to look?
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 06-16-2010

Bruce, do you have any paper work that shows what the switched and unswitched numbered fuses go to? This is for the fuses in the upper compartment above drivers head as well as the one in the front that you acess from outside.
Thx
Bob
Old 06-16-2010

My own pain in the hind quarters story, when I put my 2 new AC roof airs in a couple of years ago. It was a big headache trying to decipher exactly what was the replacement.

I ended up with.
- new wall thermostat
- adapter(s) from new thermostat to ribbon wiring
- new ac unit
- transformer 120v - 12V
- circuit board.

on the newer units the circuit board and the transformer are now separate, since these were the parts that were failing the most on the old units.

But no one I spoke with at camping world(spoke to at least 6 techs/ and parts people), or the AC company gave me any useful information on the correct replacement parts. I had to figure out on my own by reading the online installation guide/parts manual/schematics that I needed to wire a separate 12v to the unit.

since my old unit did not have 12v directly from bus , and there was no way I was going to attempt a clean install of 12v up to the ac, I instead installed a transformer of 120v - 12v since 120v was already up there. I believe the old unit had transformer installed on the board(not 100% sure).

Not to mention the comedy team of me and the wife trying to get a 100# ac unit on the roof via the ladder.

Just me complaining...

Last edited by The_Money_Pit; 06-16-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-16-2010

I'm sure replacing the unit would be best. The PO replaced 2 units that are controlled from the unit faceplace and skipped the thermostat all together. Those 2 units do a great job of cooling. I was just trying to get the 3rd unit running for something to do..Like I don't have enough BB projects to do! I still think that the thermostat is the problem. I had to replace the A/C in my last trailer. It had a Carrier unit with a wireless thermostat. Other than running 12v to the unit that seems to be the best fix, and your idea of a transformer sounds great.
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 06-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by atckip View Post
I'm sure replacing the unit would be best. The PO replaced 2 units that are controlled from the unit faceplace and skipped the thermostat all together. I still think that the thermostat is the problem. .
I am sure you can find someone close by that will let you borrow their thermostat for a quick test. Since it sounds like you are missing the old ones.

That was one of the first tests I did, I swapped my thermostats from front to back.
Old 06-16-2010

I still have all three thermostats mounted on the wall, but the displays are blank on all three
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 06-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by atckip View Post
I still have all three thermostats mounted on the wall, but the displays are blank on all three
have you tried swapping them?

if I remember correctly the thermostats are powered from the AC units, probably via that transformer built into the circuit board, but I have not looked at this stuff in a few years so I could easily be wrong, heck I can't remember what I had to eat last night.
Old 06-16-2010

No I haven't I'll give that a try
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 06-16-2010

after that you can check if you have 120v at the ac unit, you can pull down the inside ac vent cover and using a multimeter check for voltage, and if you have a AC switch on your dash turn it on and off and verify that it turns on and off at AC.

after also having swapped out your other thermostats you can assume that the thermostat is ok. If it is totally blank the problem is probably at the circuit board. I would next check for 12v at the transformer on the circuit board(I remember reading, when I was a member of the Yahoo board, that someone said they were successful in repairing a lot of boards by replacing spent transformers.)

note: mine is few years different than yours