Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 06-10-2009
Former Bird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Pete,

Take the wire off of the oil pressure sensor, it may return to lower on the gage.
Clean the terminal or suspect the sensor.
Bill,

Good idea... I'll give that a try.

We're on the road in West Yellowstone, MT right now, so that will have to wait a couple of weeks.

Thanks.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 06-11-2009

Default Gen Radiator Fan Motor

Rob, thanks for the signature reminder. I hope I got it right this time.

One other thing I forgot to mention is my radiator fins are corroded and brittle, about 1/4" deep from the top in spots. Apparently, the accumulated dirt and grass matrix held moisture that turned acidic over time and ate away on the copper fins. I am surprised the gen didn't run hot. The core tubes look OK so I just plan to clean it up, remove as much of the corroded fins as possible, then give it a light coat of black paint and reinstall the fan. Also, I intend to enhance the wiring with a water resistant quick disconnect so removing the fan for future radiator cleaning will be relatively easy.

Hope this helps somebody...comments & suggestions are always welcome. As a newbie (first BB) with only sketchy drawings or little documentation, I am grateful for all the helpful posts on this site. I will try to do my part.

Thanks to all.
Series 60
Old 06-11-2009

Leroy,
Do your fins run vertically or horizontally? If they run vertically, you won't be able to easily remove a section of them and the rest of the fins won't have the needed support to stay in place. You may be better off doing a recore- assuming you can find somebody to do it! That seems to be a quickly fading lost art. When you get to the point you're adding your fan connector, how about a picture or two? I was cleaning mine just last night, thinking about that very thing.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 06-19-2009

I determined that the cooling fan for the generator radiator was not running which seemed like the probable cause of overheating, so I ordered all new parts (motor, capacitor and blower fan - I'll post all relevant Grainger part numbers once everything is working). Replaced everything, cleaned the radiator (which actually wasn't too dirty) and reinstalled.

The fan still does not work . I suppose it is possible that one of the new parts (motor or capacitor) is bad, but there seems to be no current coming from the generator to the fan when I test that circuit. Is there a fuse/breaker/relay somewhere in between the generator and the fan that might need to be reset or replaced? I haven't been able to locate anything.

The generator seems to be outputting power to the bus, just not to the fan.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Bruce
2004 Toyota Land Cruiser on a trailer
Old 06-19-2009
Administrator

Most of the 208 motors have three speeds and lots of wires, but only one speed is used, check for correct wiring. The motors have an internal thermo circuit breaker to protect the motor. There should also be an external circuit breaker to protect the generator windings, if there is a motor short. Look for a circuit breaker in the manual or call Power Tech.
Chances are the new motor is good , there is something else amiss , based on your previous posts.
Old 06-19-2009

Bruce,
I have a switch and a breaker on the box at the rear of the generator. My fan won't run if either of those is wrong. The breaker is a simple push to reset button and the switch is just that - a light switch- that must be on to run the fan. I have to run the genny all the way out to access either. Hope this helps.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 06-19-2009

John,

I noticed a resettable breaker, switch and electrical circuit breakers when I ran the generator out earlier. I reset the resettable breaker (although it seemed fine) but I didn't change the switch position. I think it was set to off (I had to peer back there with a mirror, so I'm not certain) but I'll run the generator out again later and flip it on, if that is the case.

I assumed the fan had failed and caused the overheating (based on previous troubleshooting and comments) but perhaps the switch had somehow just turned itself off.

I checked the new fan for correct wiring - black (high speed) to black from generator, two lower speeds (red & blue) capped off, new ground is good, purple from fan to common from generator (another black wire, but it was where the old fan's white wire was connected) and the remaining two wires to the new capacitor. Everything looks good and the genset is sending power to the coach when I disconnect shore power, but not the the fan circuit.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll let you know if flipping the switch fixes the issue.

Bruce
Old 06-19-2009

Bruce,
Our switch turned itself off while we were bringing ours home the first time. I ran it a fair bit prior to buying it and it had always done fine. Coming home the outside temp rose, and since the dash AC doesn't work, I started the gen to run the roof's. 15 or 20 minutes later everything shut off! After a couple of well placed phone calls, I learned about the breaker and the switch. Rest the breaker (which may not have tripped) and flipped the switch, presto working fan and it's worked fine ever since. I don't know how it got turned off. I didn't think that ski jump we did coming out of Pennsylvania was all that big!!!

Old 06-20-2009

John,

The switch was indeed the problem. Once I flipped the switch to the on position, the fan began working immediately. I probably didn't need any of the new parts (motor, capacitor and blower) after all. However, with all new parts it should last another 12-14 years (with luck).

The only remaining problem is figuring out how to balance the new squirrel cage fan. It looks OK, but it vibrates as though it is out of balance when the fan is running. I guess I'll try to track down an HVAC shop that might be able to balance it early next week and pull the whole assembly again to take to them.

Thanks for the switch info, it should be the first thing everyone checks when they have a fan/overheating problem on birds from the mid-90's, I guess.

Bruce
Old 06-20-2009

Bruce,
Glad I was able to pass on some of the knowledge I've gained from the forum.