Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Birds Of a Feather (BOF)

Birds Of a Feather (BOF) The group that organized the Albuquerque Balloon Rally came up with a new Bluebird RV Group called Birds Of a Feather (BOF), you can find out about their future events here.

Site Search:
Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2019

https://www.rvtravel.com/camping-on-...t-information/
This is one link saying issuing tickets.

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 01-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpierce View Post
https://www.rvtravel.com/camping-on-...t-information/
This is one link saying issuing tickets.
That is the only place I have read about any tickets being issued and that is just a rumor. We currently have 2 TV's here that came in after the shutdown and no tickets. I personally have not seen any rangers checking for window stickers and have not heard of any tickets being issued and the picture of the posting that the area is closed is not from La Posa South.
Follow our travels at:
ampersandgemandjewelry
Old 01-01-2019

Default Best route to Q

Looking for some advice...We'll be leaving for Q morning of Tuesday 8th from Springfield, MO. Is it better to stay on I-40 to Flagstaff then take 17 down to Phoenix, or is it better to turn south at Holbrook & take the AZ202 loop? I know the second choice is shorter, but what's the road like? Don't want switchbacks or narrow roads if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance!
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 01-01-2019
Senior Moments

Flagstaff is high and you will likely encounter snow. My advice would be to get south to either I-8 or I-10 as soon as possible and then head west. BTW, looking forward to seeing you again.

John & Aleda Ellsworth
A wide-body, living in a narrow bus.
1985 FC-35-SB "Color Us Gone"
john.m.ellsworth@gmail.com
Old 01-01-2019

Sounds like a "fluid" situation at NP's.
full article @ yahoo
https://www.yahoo.com/news/national-...-politics.html

Unlike shutdowns in some previous administrations, the Trump administration was leaving parks open to visitors despite the staff furloughs, said John Garder, senior budget director of the nonprofit National Parks Conservation Association.

"We're afraid that we're going to start seeing significant damage to the natural resources in parks and potentially to historic and other cultural artifacts," Garder said. "We're concerned there'll be impacts to visitors' safety."

"It's really a nightmare scenario," Garder said.

Under the park service's shutdown plan, authorities have to close any area where garbage or other problems become threats to health and safety or to wildlife, spokesman Jeremy Barnum said in an email Monday.
Old 01-01-2019
Senior Moments

I think we may have a work around for the BLM permit. It seems that LTVA camp hosts on the California side of the river are selling the permits. We were out exploring on Sunday and talked to the host at the Pilot Knob BLM area.

She said she could sell us the same permit good for all BLM locations. That got my brain, (such as it is), thinking that you could park in the 15 day area, drive the toad down to the Imperial Dam LTVA (50 miles) buy a permit and drive back to Quartzsite and be good to go.

I haven't tested it yet, but will try to check it out and post again. Our understanding is that if you have the permit then there are no other problems.

John & Aleda Ellsworth
A wide-body, living in a narrow bus.
1985 FC-35-SB "Color Us Gone"
john.m.ellsworth@gmail.com
Old 01-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenjackie View Post
Looking for some advice...We'll be leaving for Q morning of Tuesday 8th from Springfield, MO. Is it better to stay on I-40 to Flagstaff then take 17 down to Phoenix, or is it better to turn south at Holbrook & take the AZ202 loop? I know the second choice is shorter, but what's the road like? Don't want switchbacks or narrow roads if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance!
If weather (snow) is an issue take the southern route (I-10 through Tucson & Phoenix). All I-40 routes go through 8,000’ elevations. If snow is not an issue, either of the two routes you mentioned are fine. The Holbrook route (377, then 277 through Heber/Payson to the AZ 202 loop and finally I-10 to Q) and the Flagstaff route (I-17 S to the AZ 303 loop to I-10 W to Q) are both fine. The Holbrook option is more scenic and a little challenging with lots of easy mostly wide two lane but no switchbacks. However, it also goes right through downtown Phoenix so traffic at the wrong times is a factor. IMO if you want somewhat boring but easy, take the Flagstaff option. With it, definitely take the AZ 303 loop off the I-17 to the I-10 W. That loop is almost brand new and it bypasses Phoenix gridlock completely. Caution - DO NOT take AZ 87 S out of Winslow unless you like doing switchbacks at 25 mph. It’s a beautiful drive and I have done it in the bird. However, it’s not for someone used to driving in the flatlands. With any of the I-40 options, make sure your retarder is working as they all have long 6%+ grades.
Old 01-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Emu View Post
I think we may have a work around for the BLM permit. It seems that LTVA camp hosts on the California side of the river are selling the permits. We were out exploring on Sunday and talked to the host at the Pilot Knob BLM area.

She said she could sell us the same permit good for all BLM locations. That got my brain, (such as it is), thinking that you could park in the 15 day area, drive the toad down to the Imperial Dam LTVA (50 miles) buy a permit and drive back to Quartzsite and be good to go.

I haven't tested it yet, but will try to check it out and post again. Our understanding is that if you have the permit then there are no other problems.

Interesting Idea!!

Just map checking and Midland LTVA might be closer.

https://freecampsites.net/wp-content...rimage.1.2.jpg
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 01-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis and Joan View Post
Sounds like a "fluid" situation at NP's.
full article @ yahoo
https://www.yahoo.com/news/national-...-politics.html

Unlike shutdowns in some previous administrations, the Trump administration was leaving parks open to visitors despite the staff furloughs, said John Garder, senior budget director of the nonprofit National Parks Conservation Association.

"We're afraid that we're going to start seeing significant damage to the natural resources in parks and potentially to historic and other cultural artifacts," Garder said. "We're concerned there'll be impacts to visitors' safety."

"It's really a nightmare scenario," Garder said.

Under the park service's shutdown plan, authorities have to close any area where garbage or other problems become threats to health and safety or to wildlife, spokesman Jeremy Barnum said in an email Monday.
Interesting article but it does not pertain to Quartzite. La Posa LTVA is administered by the BLM which is under a different department than the Park Service.
Follow our travels at:
ampersandgemandjewelry
Old 01-02-2019

problem with un managed 14day area is the septic dump area ;the trash dump area and the desert dwellers who believe the area is reserved for their use exclusive.

septic needs to rest for 12 hours per day. once the septic field gets saturated the system overflows.

Trash pickup is a manageable problem if camper groups coordinate private pickup. Curt give me a call we are game for a plan and can help crowd-fund some of these outside services for the two groups if needed. one of my sponsors Mike Thompson rv and Tiffin have expressed interest as well. Greg 951-830-5997