Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 06-04-2009

Default Air Throttle conversion

A lot of our FC's that have been converted from 3208 NA's to Turbo's have a common problem, awful throttles. Ours was real bad when we bought it, the cable had a big cut in it from rubbing up against the air cleaner supports, and it would get more sticky and stretched as things heated up. I had Wanderlodge replace the cable our first trip South, $50 for the cable and $700 for labor, that was bad but it got worse, it was no better. I drove it this way for a couple of years, hating it more and more as each mile went by. Finally, I figured there had to be something better. I came across Coach Conversion Central online. They sold a universal air throttle made by Williams Control. I contacted them by phone and the gentleman sold me a through floor foot treadle, the throttle actuator and a air transmission kick down. The kick down is not needed as our Allison's have a great kick down set up. The treadle and under hood slave was around $500 at the time. The set up also requires a pressure regulator(adjustable air tool type available at Home Depot) 1/4" air line, some air line connectors and about six feet of stainless steal braided air line to connect the treadle and the under hood slave. This had to be ordered and cost about $50. I cut in to the air system on the drivers side middle compartment at the air chuck. I went with that point for several reasons, first, easy to get at and easy to get into, I simply pulled off the quick connect for the air hose, put on a "T", and put the quick connect back on. Second, the pressure regulator would be indoors because I put it on top of the "T". And third, because I new this was a good spot to get into the Accessory Air system and not Brake Air. I ran the 1/4" air line out of the compartment through an old bolt hole from the original battery chargers and up on top of the holding tanks, zip tied to the heater lines that go out back, I opened up the head light door in front of the driver and pulled the air line up into this area. The treadle was easy to install, cut a hole in the floor with a hole saw and then screw it to the floor with big stainless sheet metal screws. The treadle was well marked, Air In, Air Out, Exhaust (for when you take your foot off the throttle) I connected the fancy stainless braided line to go into the engine area and then I needed my buddy the machinist. I pulled the bus up to his shop and got him involved with the installation of the slave cylinder. He decided we would use the old air conditioning compressor perch. We then decided that we would attach a vertical mounting point to the perch so we could attach the slave side ways, this would allow the slave cylinder to operate on the same plane as the throttle arm on the fuel pump. We originally tried to mount it right side up but the slave was too high, far above the fuel pump throttle arm, we ended up with this big slope and it seemed we were loosing throw do to the A2+B2=C2 thing. Putting the slave on its side gave us a much more linear throw, but still not quite full throttle, so my buddy fabricated an extension for the slave arm out of 3/8" aluminum making it about an inch longer and that gave us 2650rpm. The slave pushes, so we made a threaded rod to connect the two and reused the throttle arms pin and cotter pin and I think the kit came with the means to connect the rod to it. The kit has been running in our coach for about five years now and has been great, truly the best money we have spent. If you are currently suffering with a cable throttle, you have no idea how much more drivable your coach could be. I plan to do some coach stuff on Sunday so I will add some pics when I get a chance. I talked to my buddy about the job the other day, telling him that our Forum Moderator had asked me to write this job up, and the question was how much ($)? (we trade a lot) He said the way we did it, that is, me doing most the work, he just stepped in at critical times, figure 5 hours at your local rate, our local rate is about $100/hour. If you drop the coach off with the kit sitting on the couch, figure 10 hours. This would be a great RATS project, Randy needs to bring a welder, though.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 06-04-2009

Thanks for sharing that write ****, this is great stuff to have.

Denny
727 631 3844

1980 FC 33' SB
Old 06-04-2009
ANOTHER REDNECK

crit..did you get the cruise too???????

i carry my little 110 sears mig with me..best 200$ investment going........

wish they would change maxton dates so i could come 1 time at least next yr..have drill the same weekends as them every event????????? that is if I am not in the big sand boxes..
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 06-05-2009

I have not rigged the cruise at this time, the deal is to attach it to the foot treadle. The slave cylinder for the cruise is not strong enough to pull the throttle cylinder as it has a big spring load internally.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 06-05-2009
Administrator

Here is the link, for the air throttle

http://users.cwnet.com/thall/

They use Williams Controls same as BB.

http://williamscontrols.com/products...ls_catalog.pdf

Last edited by Bill Pape; 06-05-2009 at 06:52 AM. Reason: add links
Old 06-06-2009
Gardner

Crit,
I don't know what your coach looked like below the throttle pedal, but there is a lot of stuff that would need to be removed on mine. It looks like a nasty job because the area is tough to get a wrench into. Also, if I left the old cable infrastructure in place, the cruise would work.

I did some measuring and the air throttle pedal with the above-the-floor valve would fit no problem. It is $100 more, but would save several hours of miserable work.

I am stilll resisting the urge to spend the money, but if I think of it like a mattress and shoes, you want the best you can afford because 30% of your life is spent on that mattress, and the rest wearing those shoes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6062407.JPG
Views:	550
Size:	666.1 KB
ID:	2044  
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 06-06-2009
Administrator

Gardner,

check our Dick Gideon's posts and pictures, he replaced a leaky air treadle valve, Dick can attest to how tight this area can be to work within.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ead.php?t=2401

Gardner you could also upgrade to a PT or a later FC with air throttle, Now that your 83 is almost complete. You are getting loads of experience and each renovation gets easier
Old 06-06-2009
Gardner

Bill,
As much as I would like a PT for the storage, it is not in the financial plan. I am comfortable with my current FC and hope to have many years of travel with it.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 06-07-2009

Gardner, my coach looks just the same. When you open the headlight door on our coach, there is a panel facing you that is below the floor that has two relays on it, I removed it and had access, the old pedal assembly can be minimized by removing the push rod, but I don't recall that being a big deal. Which ever treadle you go with, the net improvement to the coach will be the same, for me, being over 6' tall, one of my goals was to get more leg room by putting the treadle as for forward as possible. Work from the front of the coach with the headlight panel open. It is still cheaper than hiring the old Wanderlodge Co. to replace the cable.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 06-07-2009
Gardner

I just read on the Williams site that the surface mount system , the WM-476, does not comply with FMVSS-124 specifications (insure throttle return to idle in a failure scenario). Maybe it is not such a good idea, and likley not on-the-road legal. Rats!
Ridgewood, New Jersey