Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 07-04-2009
Senior

Randy posted that message and then went down stairs to do some woodworking and got to thinking About what was posted. You are right. The 1985 PT40 does have a hydraulic ram. Don't know what I was thinking when I said that. Thanks for correcting me.
6V92
Old 07-04-2009

Default Generator Slide Out not moving on 1985 PT-40

Mine is hydraulic too Tom. After reading Randy's post it was obvious that the hydraulic fluid wasn't getting to the ram. My generator has developed other problems since I last used it so I have been reading the generator posts. Will try the things mentioned and post a summary later. It sure helps to read what others have tried and found. Thanks again. We are vacationing at our Daughters in Newburgh,NY and I miss my Bird ! Just a quick car trip this time.
Old 07-04-2009
Senior

Sam I am sorry that you are having problems with your generator. Wish you could have come to our rally. We have worked on generators at the last 3 rallys here. Rallys are the place to go where you have lots of heads and hands to help you diagnose the problems and fix them. In addition there are BB owners there that can walk you thru the different systems of your coach if you are either a new owner or dont understand something about it. I am sure that capability is available at Maxton and other rallys also.

Although the forum is a wonderful place to get fast information there are some people that need hands on guidance in order to understand the more complicated systems on the Bluebirds. The Perkins engine, generator and control box for example is one system that BB owners have a problem with. In addition you can always call someone on the telephone and talk about it and sometimes that helps. Just remember that Kohler generator with the 4 cylinder Perkins diesel is one tough long lasting generator and was very expensive when Bluebird installed it in your coach. I have heard of Perkins engines and generators with 30,000 hours on them before( a little over 3 years of continuous running). On some of these engines they are never shut down but instead have an oil sample taken and analyzed and oil or additives removed and replaced on the fly.
Just some ideas for you and good luck.
6V92
Old 07-04-2009

The first thing that I would check is to see if the jacks will extend. That rules out a problem with the pump/ground strap. Secondly, check the connections and/or ground on the switch in the battery compartment. That switch will not work if the genny tray lock is not all the way open. It's possible that the contacts on the detection switch down near the tray lock are corroded and not providing a ground/12V path for the in/out switch.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 07-05-2009
OLDFISHHOOK@YAHOO>COM

Your a genius found the solenoid a little contact cleaner and wamo slide works;;;

Good thing I got a bad tire today so I had time to stay over at the KOA and fix the slide.. Now to figure out why the GEN wont stay running!! Checking filters...
Old 07-06-2009
hturner 12

Default Gen slide

Good thing I got a bad tire today so I had time to stay over at the KOA and fix the slide.. Now to figure out why the GEN wont stay running!!

David
I though I had the same problem with mine. The problem was kindly easy. The generator has to have a load on it with in about 2 or 3 minutes or it will shut itself down.

Hope this helps
Old 07-06-2009

Not my Perkins- she'll run without a load. If yours is shutting down, there's usually another reason.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 07-06-2009
Forum owner

Hugh,i have never seen that feature on any generator,yours must be special!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-06-2009
hturner 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Hugh,i have never seen that feature on any generator,yours must be special!
I guess so I did read one post about a generator has to have load shortly after start. Now I let it warm up then bring everything online.
Old 07-23-2009

Guys,

My hydraulic pump for the slide and legs has just quit running. Any idea on where is the solenoid for this located ....I will also be checking the earths etc but any advance tips are, as always, much appreciated. Im hoping it ain't inside the genny compartment since that is obviously not opening.....
....and I'm fat!
1961 Jaguar Mk2
2004 Durango 4wd Toad
2010 Mazda CX9