Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 07-04-2019

Default Aux switch position and chassis bats

I have a paper in my blue box that sounds like if the gen is running or your plugged into shore power that you have to turn on the aux switch to charge the chassis bats. Otherwise you only charge the coach bats. I verified with a multimeter that it does seem to function that way. Has that been everyone else’s experience? If so I have been doing it wrong. I thought shore and gen power charged both banks and you only used the aux switch in emergencies.

So then that makes me wonder does the alternator only charge the chassis bats when driving if the aux switch is off?

WOG makes me smarter one day at a time. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2019

My bus works like that. The chassis batteries are connected to coach batteries only when the Aux battery switch is in the left position while on shore power or gen.
When the ignition switch is turned on it connects the two banks for charging from the alternator even if the switch is in the middle position or left position.
turnkey1949@gmail.com
Old 07-04-2019
In The Learning Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
I have a paper in my blue box that sounds like if the gen is running or your plugged into shore power that you have to turn on the aux switch to charge the chassis bats. Otherwise you only charge the coach bats. I verified with a multimeter that it does seem to function that way. Has that been everyone else’s experience? If so I have been doing it wrong. I thought shore and gen power charged both banks and you only used the aux switch in emergencies.

So then that makes me wonder does the alternator only charge the chassis bats when driving if the aux switch is off?

WOG makes me smarter one day at a time. Thanks.
Lots of good info here ... look at 'MODE-4' https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=28929
1995 WB 42 "The Magic Carpet" sold
1977 FC 31 RB "BUSTA BUS"
MeWe : https://mewe.com/i/clintsummers1
Semper Fi
-----------------------------------------
Old 07-04-2019

Our 1994 BMC as originally equipped did not charge the chassis batteries with the on board charger/converter. In fact, every 94 I've seen didn't even have an "AUX" switch to combine battery banks. A prior owner added a DC-DC battery maintainer that puts a trickle charge to the chassis batteries only when the coach batteries are above a certain voltage. Automatic and works well for us.

Our alternator charges both banks through a diode type isolator mounted in the electrical compartment. The alternator remote sense wire is connected to the chassis batteries.

1994 BMCs are often quite different than the 95-97s. Yours may be different but I'm pretty sure our setup is the way our BMC was originally equipped.

217-720-3608
dthollis@sbcglobal.net

1994 BMC37
1991 SP36(sold)
1984 FC35(totaled)
1978 FC33(sold)
Old 07-04-2019

Excellent information everyone thanks.
Old 07-14-2019

I think the factory set it up that way because start batteries and deep cycle batteries charge at different rates and the start batteries get overcharged or vise versa when they are charged together.
Dan
1996 WB-42
2006 Trailblazer LT 4wd
Bartow, Fl
dclembo128@verizon.net