Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 07-29-2009
Complete Greenhorn

Default Any radio nuts out there?

I am replacing the CB on LARGE MARGE with a slightly (but not much) newer unit. The power supply polarity is not marked. I hooked up the speaker and PA leads and connected the antenna. I guessed that the smaller male spare style quick connect was hot and connected the red wire. The lights came on and I got static without the negative being connected. I figured I had guessed right and attached the black to the other connector. Fuse blew. Disconnected & popped the top and it seems the red and black were right according to the interior wire colors. Before I reconnect and blow more fuses (or worse), I decided to see if anyone could tell me about radio grounds. Was the thing grounding thru the antenna lead? Any ideas why fuse blew?

1979 FC33 Buddy Luce's bus (looking for a name)

LARGE MARGE - She left me for another man
Old 07-29-2009

Got a camera handy? Post some pictures? Some of them do ground through the antenna outside wrap, some of them ground w/ a screw into the radio chassis... hard to tell without a little more info- what kind of CB (brand), does it by any chance have a "memory" (last channel recall or something...)?
Get a free night
(Only in your Wanderlodge!)
@
www.TexasStarRVranch.com
Old 07-30-2009
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

John, The CB can find a ground through the ground shield of the antenna wire to the antenna mount. The center conductor to the antenna itself should be isolated. The ground shield, mounting straps, and negative power lead are all sources of ground. The CB should not have blown a fuse when the negative was applied, I'm assuming all was off and it blew when you turned it on?
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 07-30-2009

To steal John's thread some, I have a CB in the truck. I changed mounts and now have nothing. The CB still has power, just doesn't recieve a signal or transmit one. Should I have continuity from the center conductor on the antenna cable at the CB to the outer conductor on the cable, or should it be open. I had a small mount and had the antenna inside the truck to decide whether I really wanted it or not (where it worked fine, jsut limited reception). I decided to properly mount it outside and got a new mount to mount on the mirror arm. I used the same cable, same mast, same CB, onlyt the mount changed, yet now there's nothing. Any thoughts?

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 07-30-2009

Default Stolen Thread

John:

You should not have continuity from the center conductor of the coax to the shield if the antenna is removed from the mount. Most of the antennas have a tapped coil that will show an electrical short. If you remove the antenna and still show a short you have some work to do.

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 07-30-2009

What if I don't have continuity with the antenna installed? It's a Deisel brand 24" fiberglass without a base coil, if that matters.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 07-30-2009
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
Should I have continuity from the center conductor on the antenna cable at the CB to the outer conductor on the cable, or should it be open.
The center conductor should have continuity from end to end. The center conductor should be open to the shield (outer conductor) I'd check the cable by itself then check again when screwed into the antenna. If you have an open between the center conductor and shield then I'd check the outer shield to ground. Both the outer shield and CB should show continuity to ground. Once that is verified then I'd plug it into the CB and try again.

Now you'll need an SWR meter to check the antenna. They are pretty cheap but needed to verify integrety and to adjust your antenna.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 07-30-2009

I've got an SWR that I used for tuning the bike cb's. I sort of understand what it's normally telling me, but have not taken the time to hook it up to the truck to see what it tells me. I'm pretty sure I checked the cable and had proper readings- continuity on the center and shield by themselves and open between the two. I did not check the cb. It's been a year since I messed with it, so I'm not remembering much!

Old 07-30-2009

Since your antenna does not have a base coil you will probably not see continuity between the center conductor and the shield. Checking the SWR with the antenna connected would be a good next step. If the SWR is below 2 to 1 I would call that good. You might fiddle with it and get it lower but you would probably not notice a significant difference.

KG7V - Ham Radio Op. since 1968

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 08-02-2009
Complete Greenhorn

Default Follow-up

Don't quite understand why, but I reconnected it and no fuse blew and seems OK. Lucky guess on the +/- polarity.

1979 FC33 Buddy Luce's bus (looking for a name)

LARGE MARGE - She left me for another man