Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 07-29-2009

Default Alternator Conversion

I'm in the process of converting the 160 Amp Motorola in my 82 FC to a Leece Neville 160 amp. I have a few questions.
Do I have to modify the adjusting bar to make it work?
Can I use the pulley off the Motorola on the Leece Neville ? The guy at the auto electric shop I deal with says the shaft size is the same, but I'm unsure of the out the overall dementions etc., and wanted to double check. The one I ordered dosen't come with a pulley, so if mine won't work, I'll order one. Thank you.
Old 07-30-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Harvie View Post
I'm in the process of converting the 160 Amp Motorola in my 82 FC to a Leece Neville 160 amp. I have a few questions.
Do I have to modify the adjusting bar to make it work?
Can I use the pulley off the Motorola on the Leece Neville ? The guy at the auto electric shop I deal with says the shaft size is the same, but I'm unsure of the out the overall dementions etc., and wanted to double check. The one I ordered dosen't come with a pulley, so if mine won't work, I'll order one. Thank you.
I just recently had to order a pulley for my Leese-Nevile and it cost less than $30.00., see;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General >Suprise find on Alternator pulley

If you decide to use the old pulley just make sure that when you mount the new alternator that the off aset of the old pulley places the belt in alignment with the other plulleys that it goes across.

My original Motorola pulley, not the one mentioned in the above thread, was different than the new one.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-30-2009
Forum owner

Mike H just did this change over,maybe he will speak up.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-30-2009
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Hey Jim,

I just did the same conversion on my old '78. I merely swapped pulleys from the Motorola to the Leese-Nevile without any issues. As far as the idler adjustment the new Leese-Nevile alternator tab was lacated at the 12:00 position on top of the alternator vs the 2:00 position on the Motorola. They may come with different frames so that is something to look at. You'll either have to get a longer adjusting rod or move the alternator away from the air compressor slightly.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 08-01-2009

Thanks, Michael and Tami.

I picked up the new Alternator today, It already had my old Motorola pulley mounted on it, all cleaned up and looking as new as the alt. Tomorrow I'll install it and I'll find out what I have to do to the adjustment rod, if anything
Old 08-01-2009

Default May need new belts

Jim:
I replaced my alternator earlier this year, and with the different mounting hole location on the new Leese, I needed shorter belts. I seem to remember 1/2 inch shorter. The clearance to the compressor and coolant hoses seems to be ok (although as with everything else on a bluebird, you will wish you had one long skinny arm that bent the other way).
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 08-01-2009

With Randys guidence, I paid 150 bucks for a NEW L/N Part # 110555JHO.
Any Freightliner store should have in stock. Needed to enlarge the base horizontal bolt hole to 1/2" and add two inches to the adjustment theaded stud.
You may have to find a new pulley, I had a L/N originally, but older style.
My 'former' alternator reman shop was uncomfortable when I showed him the receipt for the new piece, particularly since he recently charged that much to do minimal work on a spare L/N for my toter home. Hate it for him.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 08-02-2009

Thanks everyone:
Yesterday, I installed the new alternator, rebuilt water pump, idler pulley with new bearings, and belts. I added a few inches to the adjustment rod for the alternator, and used the old part number, for the belts. I checked belt allignment by placing a straight edge on the face of the air compressor pulley, then swept it up to the alt pulley. The allignment is good. The power steering belt was slipping before I changed it, and it was glazed. Before I installed the new one, I sanded the pulley to break the glaze.
Old 11-12-2010
Gardner

I plan to istall a new J-mount alternator on by bird. When the conversion is done the mount holes need to be drilled out larger. Before i start, were two bolts used instead of one long one like the old spool mount?

Also, people have extended the adjustment rod. Did you cut it shorter and then use a coupling of some sort to add length?

I was toying with the idea of having new tabs welded to the mount plate to reposition the alternator mount towards the street side and use the old adjusting rod. That would also eliminate the need for washers, etc. to allign the mount. I no longer have the A/C compressor, so the mount can be removed to do the work.

The main reason I am converting is the availability of J mount alternators on the road, any Freightliner shop has them for under $200. Last year I paid well over $200 to have my old one rebuilt, and it's toast again.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 11-12-2010

One mount bolt is a better deal IMO as it's only one part to deal with. Old saying, 'parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems'. Full length shank is preferable as threads in the bore will cause more metal dust due to vibration. I like a nylock nut and no washers for the same reason as above. I welded a short length of threaded rod to the adjustment stud.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/