Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 07-30-2009
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Great Job Jim! Rolled up your sleeves and just jumped right in. I think you'll go far!
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 07-30-2009
Administrator

Congratulation Jim,

This is the trouble list, you have been reading and researching.
this will save many headaches.
Old 07-30-2009

Default New Member

Jim:

WHAT DID YOU DO THE REST OF THE WEEK??
Old 08-08-2009

Default A bird In CT

Jim

I have a 83 FC 33 bird that keeps me humble and talking to myself. Its a love hate relationship that becomes a time consuming hobby. If you get in a jam e mail me I may be able to at least get you going in the right direction. It does sound as though you jumped in with both feet.
Fall project for me will be a swing radiator. I had it out to replace all my belts, thermostat and water pump. I could not get a picture of the hinge for the radiator to make or buy one and needed to leave for Maine. So I just put it back together and we will swing in the fall. about 30min into the trip my alternator died so I ran the generator of an off till we got home. I have the new one and will get it in tomorrow if the old girl will allow the change.

Henry
pozz 33
pasta553@comcast.net

Last edited by pozz 33; 08-08-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-21-2009

Thank you everyone:
I got the new Alternator, Water Pump, Idler bearings, and Hoses installed ,and I'm glad I took the time to check things out.
The lower raidiator hose on the swing raidiator, was in two pieces. one 12" hose, and another 32" hose heald together by a piece of schedule 40 PVC pipe about 2 1/2 inches long. Not good! The plastic had shrunk down to about 1 1/2" OD where the clamps were, for a 2 " ID hose. I'm glad I caught that! I replaced the hoses with Gold Stripe, and made the lower hose, one piece. (got rid of the splice.)
Before I swung the radiator back in, I wanted to run it for a while, then retighten the belts, and hose clamps, and check the 4 electric fans bolted to the radiator, for operation. I'm glad I did! I was thinking of how quiet the fans were... that's beacuse only one was running I have 4 resetable circut breakers with what I'll call a "bus bar", feeding all 4 positive ends of the breakers.The feed wire was connected to one breaker(the only one that had power). There was a bad connection between the rest of the breakers, and the "bus bar" I repaired that. When the fans started, one make noise, so I replaced it with a new one.
I took it out for a short ride.... put on about 250 miles, runs great. It's come a long way from the night I drove it home at midnight, with 2 out of 4 batteries ratched strapped in place, ( no floor in the batt box) In a blinding New England Snowstorm ,Not being able to idle,due to the bad seals in the injector pump
This week I installed a new toilet, and two new manual dump valves. All of the appliances work good, even the ice maker. I sanitized the fresh water tank with Spring Fresh.
I built 6 ramps out of 2"x12" pressure treated wood, stacked 4 high to ride the bus up on while I'm underneath, I'll park it on them too, while I'm not using the bus.They're plenty long, and heavy too!
My next project will be to pull the wheels and check the brakes. there's plenty of lining left, but I want to check the hardware etc I've looked at the files, and it looks like they're quick qs? (I hope so) I'll repack the wheel bearings too, and install 4 new brake chambers, and hoses.
I think I'm going to take a short trip, maybe to Arcadia National Park, in Maine (about 750 miles, round trip) next week.
I converted a tow dolly to a motorcycle trailer, by fabricating a ramp,(6" channel iron) with a dropped end the height of the ramps on the dolly. It tilts, but not at too much of an angle, and I can easly load/unload the bike alone. When the bike is loaded (Yamaha 1300 Royal Star @ 800 lbs), there's only about 50 or 60 lbs tounge weight on the ball. I can unhook and roll the trailer around, with ease.
I also have a 17 1/2 foot trailer, that I made an extendable tounge on. It slides to extend, and I can add the motorcycle ramp from the dolly to it, and take the car, and the bike both. the bike rides in tandem, inline , over the tounge, ahead of the car. I'll use the alluminun ramps that's used to load the car, (one on each side of the ramp) to support my feet, while loading/unloading. Then they're removed during transit. When the bike isn't being towed, the ramp comes off easily, and the trailer can be shortened up. Ok, enough for now
Old 08-22-2009
Forum owner

Jim has been a busy man!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-22-2009

I just sat down to cool off with a beer after just reading your post slow down. I can always find something to tinker with on my Birb and the forms give me the information to get the job done. Alot of imformation gets shared here.
If you still have your radiator open I wonder if you could do me a favor? I need a few good pictures of the Radiator hinge and how the hoses are run. I wanted to do the swing when I had my rad. out for normal service but could not get good pictures so backed off and reinstalled the radiator normal. When I lay the coach for the winter I'll pull it back out and hinge it if I feel comfortable withe the hoses. I don't want to create another problem.

Henry
pasta553@comcast.net
Old 08-22-2009

Way to go with your new hobby! We got our bird in Feb. of this year and I find that between the trips we take and the projects on the bus, I don't have time for all of my other hobbies.

We love to travel in the thing, the kids love it, and it commands attention wherever we go. I fact a few weeks ago a fella came up to us at a campground and said, " of all the rv's here, yours is by far the coolest".

Keep your eyes peeled this coming week in Northern Idaho, we'll be on the road for a week.
1982 FC33
Old 08-22-2009

Henry:
The radiator is swung back in, and the grill etc, are back on, so it would be tough to get pictures. I believe there are some decent pictures of the hinge on John Flynns site. My radiator swings in the opposite direction of his. If by chance I have to swing it again, I'd be happy to take some pictures, and post them.
Old 08-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozz 33 View Post
Jim

I have a 83 FC 33 ...... Fall project for me will be a swing radiator.
I thought by 83 they were standard. Here's a couple shots of what to look for.
The first is the hinge side the second the pivots (l of license) so the bumper can be folded down and the last the bolts on the drivers side to release the radiator. I had the guy I bought mine from email me these as I wanted to be sure it had the swing radiator before I bought it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0056.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	2677   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0062.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	2678   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0059.jpg
Views:	329