Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 03-10-2010

Default Accumulator Tank Bladder

I just replaced my Jabsco (ITT) accumulator tank for the water system to the tune of $60. I checked ahead of time to see if a rebuild kit was available and they told me there was not one.

Anyway, I thought the bladder was busted and I never saw the inside of one so I took the inoperative one apart to look at it. Sure enough, the rubber bladder had a crack in the top. The interesting thing was that was all that was in there. No O rings or any other parts, just a sort of half bladder taking up half of the system. I checked with Jabso/ ITT to see if that part was available (many of the exterior fittings had spare part numbers) and they said that they bought the whole think already made and didn't have spare parts. I pointed out that knowing who manufactured it would be nice since in our throw-away society this unit would not have to be discarded if I could just get a new bladder (and that surely wouldn't be $60). So far no response from them.

Anyway, does anyone happen to know the manufacturer of these things? I thought I might try a tire patch to see if I could repair it. I don't really need it but hey, why not.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 03-10-2010

Can you post some pictures of it? I always wondered what the inside of one looks like.
Linden, Michigan
Old 03-10-2010
Timberlake Products Group

Dear Davis's

I replaced my accumulator tank 3 years ago with a small one from Lowes/Depot...

It works well and I have never had a problem with it since.

FYI, for FC owners etc...

I did not like the fact that one of the H2O tanks always filled faster than the other. I replumbed it all with manual valves hence seperating the tanks with their own fill valves. This way I can fill one or the other or both and know they are actually full!!

I also did away with the fancy (junk) turn knob/cable/gear/valve assemblies as well as the access door and just put an X slit in the new carpet. Walla, just reach in and turn the fill or drain valves accordingly

Simpler is better
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_3916.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	470.7 KB
ID:	4333   Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_3920.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	494.5 KB
ID:	4334   Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_3923.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	631.4 KB
ID:	4335   Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_3924.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	609.3 KB
ID:	4336  

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup

Last edited by Turbokitty; 03-10-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-10-2010

Lee,

I'll bet the tire patch will work--- for a while. The rubber has been aged by the usage and destined to crack in another area. I agree, it would be nice to just replace the bladder. It's not that hard, as you've already found. You can get them for a home system, why not the smaller tanks! Let us know if you find something.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 03-10-2010

If you put in one of the newer variable flow pumps, you can remove the accumulator alltogether. http://www.aquatec.com/rvpump.htm is one brand, there are others like shurflo as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis View Post
I just replaced my Jabsco (ITT) accumulator tank for the water system to the tune of $60. I checked ahead of time to see if a rebuild kit was available and they told me there was not one.

Anyway, I thought the bladder was busted and I never saw the inside of one so I took the inoperative one apart to look at it. Sure enough, the rubber bladder had a crack in the top. The interesting thing was that was all that was in there. No O rings or any other parts, just a sort of half bladder taking up half of the system. I checked with Jabso/ ITT to see if that part was available (many of the exterior fittings had spare part numbers) and they said that they bought the whole think already made and didn't have spare parts. I pointed out that knowing who manufactured it would be nice since in our throw-away society this unit would not have to be discarded if I could just get a new bladder (and that surely wouldn't be $60). So far no response from them.

Anyway, does anyone happen to know the manufacturer of these things? I thought I might try a tire patch to see if I could repair it. I don't really need it but hey, why not.
Old 03-10-2010

This could act as a sprinkler system for the explosives you have stored below

Old 03-10-2010
Timberlake Products Group

Busted

If it is of any consequence to Gardner... The last screw I ran in to secure the wood tank mounts to the drawer back... It was a longer than the other dry wall screws being used... Ran it in with the cordless drill only to hear... psssssssss... You guessed it... Right into the pressure side of the tank... Had to pull it all out and zip a quick Mig weld in the pin hole... Re air it all up and reinstall...

Happy Day, Snit happens

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup

Last edited by Turbokitty; 03-10-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2010

Default BB Installed Presure Sw???

I'm getting ready to install the smart sensor water pump. I'll eliminate the bladder tank; add ball valves for control; eliminate the water filter or replace it. I'm thinking the BB installed pressure switch can be eliminated. Has anyone removed the switch? Also, what water filter was used to replace the existing one?

Oh, the Air Dryer replacement and a Reman. Compressor work passed the driveway test. On to the next project.

Forget the pressure switch question...memory phart.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com

Last edited by curtsprenger; 03-29-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Got Smarter...
Old 03-30-2010
Former Bird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsprenger View Post
I'm getting ready to install the smart sensor water pump. I'll eliminate the bladder tank; add ball valves for control; eliminate the water filter or replace it. I'm thinking the BB installed pressure switch can be eliminated. Has anyone removed the switch? Also, what water filter was used to replace the existing one?

Oh, the Air Dryer replacement and a Reman. Compressor work passed the driveway test. On to the next project.

Forget the pressure switch question...memory phart.
The pump water filter must be a "high capacity" model. I used the Shurflo brand and purchased the recommended filter at the same time as the pump.

I've written about this before. This is the "after" photo with elements labeled. Note that "tank drain valve" is actually only used to drain the water system for storage in freezing conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PumpReplace02.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	4559  

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 03-30-2010

Ryan I like your tank brackets. I could use a pair, thanks for the heads up on screw size.
89 PT40