Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 03-11-2010

Smile Cross wind tie downs for awnings

We have three slides with awnings as covers for the slides. I called Zip Dee concerning awning locks to avoid awning blow out during strong cross winds. They said they did not recommend any of there awning locks for that purpose.

I solved the problem by installing small (3/8") 'P' shaped nylon tie down points on the top side of the metal protective covering which connects the awning to the BB. I used a small nut and bolt thru the stem of the 'P' with the nut on top. When heavy winds are forecast, we install nylon wire ties around the support arms and thru the 'P' tie points. It works great but one does need to carry a ladder and be sure the wire ties are removed before opening the slide.

Any other ideas for this problem?
"Dream Catcher"
Old 03-11-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledoc View Post
We have three slides with awnings as covers for the slides. I called Zip Dee concerning awning locks to avoid awning blow out during strong cross winds. They said they did not recommend any of there awning locks for that purpose.

I solved the problem by installing small (3/8") 'P' shaped nylon tie down points on the top side of the metal protective covering which connects the awning to the BB. I used a small nut and bolt thru the stem of the 'P' with the nut on top. When heavy winds are forecast, we install nylon wire ties around the support arms and thru the 'P' tie points. It works great but one does need to carry a ladder and be sure the wire ties are removed before opening the slide.

Any other ideas for this problem?
Here's the deal.. Awing Clamp 1 800 815 2159 Similar Clamp is also sold at Camping World
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20100313_0001.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	4344