Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 06-24-2010
Forum owner

is the fuel soleniod itself good?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-24-2010

Mike. Try removing the wires going to the sensors, and instead of grounding them, leave them disconnected, then try starting it.
When the wires complete the circut to ground, that's when the engine should shut down. (I think you did it backwards?)
Old 06-24-2010

Thanks Gardner and Tom,
Today in the 97 degree heat I reassembeled what I had torn apart on my generator and then tried the voltage test while holding the the fuel solonoid open. Bad news 1.4 volts AC was the reading. From what I read in the 12.5 KW manual that came with the Bird originaly, when no voltage is detected after start up the solonoid recieves a signal to shut down. Could be brushes: who knows?? I read Popeye's story where the circumstances were simular and the entire kohler part of the system was toast. Hope that is not the case!

Mike & Adrienne Trout
Pasadena, MD
82 FCSB 35'
FMCA 64467s
Old 06-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslcat View Post
Thanks Gardner and Tom,
Today in the 97 degree heat I reassembeled what I had torn apart on my generator and then tried the voltage test while holding the the fuel solonoid open. Bad news 1.4 volts AC was the reading. From what I read in the 12.5 KW manual that came with the Bird originaly, when no voltage is detected after start up the solonoid recieves a signal to shut down. Could be brushes: who knows?? I read Popeye's story where the circumstances were simular and the entire kohler part of the system was toast. Hope that is not the case!
Mike,

I have the same generator and had the same symptoms three times! Once it was the voltage regulator, once it was a loose connection on a terminal in the control box and the other was a broken wire on brush. If you look at the brushes look very carefully at the wire coming from the brush. Mine ended up being a conically wore slip ring (I know of two other Yanmar/Kohlers that have had this problem) which was causing the brush to jump up and down so much the wire broke.
I would check brushes and connections first, it doesn't cost anything to check these. Good luck and let us know the fix.
Westchester Sandblast
Old 06-25-2010

Thank you Tom,

Last night I was reading the procedure to change slip rings. I don't know yet but that is likely in my future. Hopefully just brushes. If it is just brushes is there any explanation of changing just these on an older Kohler? Is there a way to diagnose the regulator as the problem? I'll check the brush wires. Can't find lose wires in the control box.

Mike & Adrienne Trout
Pasadena, MD
82 FCSB 35'
FMCA 64467s
Old 06-25-2010

Mike,

I don't remember anything special about changing the brushes, I would have to assume it was intuitive by looking at when I did it. When the brush I replaced failed shortly after I replaced it, is when I took a closer look at the Slip rings and noticed the oblong shape.
I think there is a way to test the regulator, but it was too complicated for me so I took a chance and replaced it that one time and got lucky! In your case if the brushes do look good I would take a chance with a new regulator.
Westchester Sandblast
Old 06-25-2010

Mike,

Our kohler/yamar will start and run for 5-10 seconds then shut down if there is a significant load in the circuit. We have a high output charger on a dedicated circuit. If I forget to unplug the charger the genset will start but shut down quickly.

Check water heater switch, a/c, even electric heaters and make sure they are not trying to draw power when you start your generator.
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".
Old 06-28-2010

Mike,

Any outcome on this?
Westchester Sandblast
Old 07-09-2010

Yesterday while traveling in hot weather with the generator running, it suddenly stopped with the same symptoms Mike described. It will start quickly and run for 2 or 3 seconds and shut down. It's not producing any voltage when the fuel solenoid is held in to keep it running. Tightened all of the terminals in the control box, checked the AC circuit breakers and checked for 12V going into the control circuit. The manual says to check the 8 amp fuse in the end bracket. Does anyone know where this fuse is? I crawled under with a flashlight and can see the end of the generator. There is a square plate with louvres covering the back end.
"The Aviary"
Old 07-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvahall View Post
Yesterday while traveling in hot weather with the generator running, it suddenly stopped with the same symptoms Mike described. It will start quickly and run for 2 or 3 seconds and shut down. It's not producing any voltage when the fuel solenoid is held in to keep it running. Tightened all of the terminals in the control box, checked the AC circuit breakers and checked for 12V going into the control circuit. The manual says to check the 8 amp fuse in the end bracket. Does anyone know where this fuse is? I crawled under with a flashlight and can see the end of the generator. There is a square plate with louvres covering the back end.

John,

I've had the end cover off my generator to change the slip rings and have looked, but never found that fuse. I don't think it's there!
Westchester Sandblast