Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 07-01-2010

Thumbs up Major engine components

Greetings,
For the benefit of a wannabe would someone be willing to explain the interaction of the turbocharger, supercharger and aftercooler in simplified terms?

TIA
Old 07-01-2010

I will take a shot in very simple terms.
Turbo charger. A method of inducting air into the cylinders too create boost which creates more power without detonation in the cylinders. It operates from the exhaust created by the engine. Hence, the lag in response time.
Supercharger. A method of direct induction of air into the cylinders creating more power. It is a scavenge type induction system in that it robs power to create it. It is driven by belts but could be direct drive. It has relative instantaneous response time.
After cooler most commonly called inter cooler. Used on turbo charged engines to cool air being inducted into the engine cylinders. The volume is less when cooler and hence more air can be packed into the cylinders increasing boost.
Hopefully this is simply accurate.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 07-01-2010

Leroy is right.

I would add that supercharged or "blown" engines can have intercoolers also. Air when compressed heats up. That heat increases intake air temperature and reduces horsepower.

In addition, the Detroit 6V92 and 8V92 engines will have a supercharger (AKA blower) and a turbocharger. The 2 strokes must have a functioning blower to run. The turbo blows into the supercharger.

The "regular" 4 stroke diesels are normally aspirated (No blower or turbo) or turbo charged.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 07-01-2010
Forum owner

what they are doing with superchargers or turbochargers is increasing the air to the engine,giving the engine more air increases power.
Cooling the air with an intercooler makes more power,cold air = HP.
to the engine.
Intercooler=aftercooler=charge air cooler.
all do about the same thing,cools the in-coming air

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-02-2010
Former Bird Owner

Not all 4 cycle diesels are "normally aspirated." I believe that the Cat 3208 "turbo" engines are a 4 cycle design -- and quite clearly have a turbo charger. It adds about 50 HP if I recall correctly.

The Series 60 engines are all turbocharged. They use a "charge air cooler" (same effect as an intercooler) that is mounted outboard of the water radiator -- and looks much like a normal radiator.

On a DD Series 60 engine, it is important to realize that inspecting the radiator for clogging is hampered by the CAC. When stopped, there is a tendency for hot, oily mist from the breather tube to be drawn through the CAC/Water Radiator combination. For whatever reason, the CAC does not tend to build up any significant residue. However, my guess is that the water radiator 'heats' the oily mist, making it more sticky, allowing dust drawn through the CAC/Radiator to stick (but not stick to the CAC). Ultimately, the oily-dirt will build up to block the water radiator, significantly reducing its cooling effectiveness and potentially leading to an overheating situation.

This is a tendency with all rear engine coaches (not just Series 60 and not just Blue Birds). So regular inspection and cleaning of the CAC/radiator should be part of normal maintenance.

The DD 8v92 and 6v92 are supercharged engines. I'm not familiar with their specific layout or if they normally have a charge air cooler (intercooler). They are still subject the the radiator fouling.

An FC owner would have to comment on the existence and/or location of the intercooler, if one exists, on the 3208 turbo engine models.

While in automotive applications, turbo charging is frequently used to 'soup up' an engine (either directly from the factory or as an aftermarket installation). Some of the "bottle rocket" sub compacts take, for example, a car like a Toyota Corolla and add a turbo charger and some decorative skirts and deck lid airfoil to create a sporty version with 40 or 50 more horsepower from the same or a slightly modified version of the engine.

In diesels, the turbo charging is more often part of the basic design with engines sized for the application. The 42/43 foot 'birds with the Series 60 are sized with an engine of 470 to 500 hp using the turbo charger. No non-turbo version of the engine exists as far as I know. The Turbo (or supercharger) in a diesel engine delivers more power for the amount of fuel used. So while it increases horsepower, it also utilizes more of the chemical energy available from the diesel fuel giving better fuel economy for the horsepower generated.

This last concept might seem counter intuitive -- but consider two diesel engines of (say) 300 HP. One is turbocharged and the other is normally aspirated. Since the turbo unit is able to pump more air through the engine, it will burn the fuel more efficiently and get modestly better fuel economy than the equally powered NA engine. Since we're accustomed to seeing turbos used to increase horsepower, and the higher horsepower engines (naturally) use more fuel, we don't think of turbo as being an improvement in efficiency. But that is only an impression since the comparison is usually made considering the same engine with normal aspiration (e.g. a 3208 with 250 HP) and turbo charged (a 3208 with 300 HP). More horsepower requires burning more fuel -- but improved engine design can get deliver more energy from the fuel and waste less of the chemical energy as heat.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 07-02-2010

pete, good assumptions but now like you I'm confused
Old 07-02-2010
davidmbrady

The latest generation of Detroit Diesels, DD15, use two turbochargers. One turbo does the normal job of compressing combustion air for the engine. The second turbo drives an output shaft that's geared into the engine, typically known as "turbo compounding". This allows for even more exhaust gas energy conversion to usable shaft power. Turbo compounding on the DD15 results in a 5% increase in fuel economy and an additional 50hp at the crankshaft.

http://www.layover.com/news/article/...ns--15127.html

On a side note, I'm in the process of R&Ring my CAC/Rad stack. Upon removal, I found no oily-dirt residue build up on the fins of the radiator. Perhaps there were changes made to the routing of the S-60 breather tube or to the CAC/Rad baffling used in the LXi versus the Wide-Body's, or perhaps Pete's engine exhibited more than the usual blow-by. After 105K miles, the radiator fins were clean but heavily corroded from road salt and de-icers.

Last edited by davidmbrady; 07-02-2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Added link.
Old 07-02-2010

Okay, so where does your breather tube end up, David? Pete, do you remember where yours did? Inquiring minds want to know!!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 07-02-2010
davidmbrady

Hi John,

I'm away from the bus, but I managed to find this photo in my archives; unfortunately, it doesn't show the radiator shrouding, but it does show the breather tube extending to the bottom of the sump pan with a 45deg tip pointing in the wrong direction! LOL Clearly the designer of the tip had front engine applications in mind!

Old 07-02-2010

That's a good shot for what I was asking! I'm thinking mine is in the same spot as yours. I wonder if Pete's was in a different location or if there was something else that caused his to oil up more?

I just realized that the end slant may have forced air UP the tube. I wonder if they only did one tube, primarily for forward facing motors?

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support

Last edited by fxdwg; 07-02-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: adding info