Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 07-11-2010
Sandwichs de Glace

We have had a lot of luck using the 3M eraser wheel on decals and some adhesives. It never damaged the paint and has no stink or chemicals.

MnM
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
Old 07-12-2010

Thanks for the comments and suggestion folks, I found a source today for the 3M mask @ www.invisiblemask.com they have the pre-cut film for the LX and LXi, and you can buy what you need instead of the complete kit ... I liked that. Or, you can buy it in bulk and cut as needed.
Old 07-18-2010

Not sure but I think all LX's, LXi's, M380's, and 450's have this 3M mask. Don't know about the others PT's and so on. I do know without it you would be touching up paint on the front every trip out. Plus if you have 4-5 different colors on the front well ....

I received the mask I ordered and installed it. It was a nice fit, easy install. I also did the head light covers, hopefully it will last another 10-11 years at which time I may not even care Kurt, don't give up ... I have no finger nails left
Old 07-18-2010
GARY,M

Good move slim putting it back on .clear coat is not the answer.clear is just very durable clear paint but with the location being the front it would not last long .you must protect the finish and the mask is the only way outside of a bra.
Our coach front was peppered with stone chips.i had to refinish the front end and then i applied the mask .still looks great.as with all paints and plastics ultra violet light is the enemy.and thats probably what deteriorated your old mask .
Old 12-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somervillebus View Post
Not sure but I think all LX's, LXi's, M380's, and 450's have this 3M mask. Don't know about the others PT's and so on. I do know without it you would be touching up paint on the front every trip out. Plus if you have 4-5 different colors on the front well ....

I received the mask I ordered and installed it. It was a nice fit, easy install. I also did the head light covers, hopefully it will last another 10-11 years at which time I may not even care Kurt, don't give up ... I have no finger nails left
Slim, the 3M mask was an option for my coach in 04. My coach is without one…and you are right about it chipping easy. I was thinking of touching up the chips and then installing the mask.

I never thought of doing it myself; I watched a video of a pro installing one and it looked like a good job for the “pro”. Are you still happy with your install; is it holding up well?

Cost?
Old 12-13-2010

Later LXIs maybe the same as 450s but not the earlier ones.

I looked on the web page www.invisiblemask.com. but could not find precuts for the Wanderlodges. Did you call them?

Dan
San Marcos, CA

Old 12-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gsur View Post
Later LXIs maybe the same as 450s but not the earlier ones.

I looked on the web page www.invisiblemask.com. but could not find precuts for the Wanderlodges. Did you call them?

Dan
Dan, I found that they have one for 2004 Bluebird M380…Go to shop online, catalog one. Think it would be the same one for your coach.
Old 12-13-2010
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somervillebus View Post
I been putting off removing the clear mask on the front of my coach ... it needs to go ...so here I go. If you are contemplating doing the same, don't be deceived in thinking your going to peel up a corner and just pull it off, not after 10 years in the sun your not. that would be to easy.

Anyway here's a couple of pictures I took along the way that may help, maybe someone has a better idea. I took about an hour and 1/2 to remove the center section. It certainly beats taking it to a body shop where most would look at it and say "that needs to be repainted" $$$$$$.

If the mask pulls the paint off with it, which is certainly a possibility, than a repaint will be in your future. So consider that before starting

BTW: anybody have a good source for a good heavy mask. I have one I got off ebay pretty cheap but it looks too thin for me. 3M has some good mask, any other sources would be appreciated.

Thanks
OH yea, and by the way ... take it slow removing it, you wont have a choice.
Looks great Slim! I know you were probably sweating it the whole time worrying if the paint would either come off or be damaged. Good job!!!

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 12-13-2010
Forum owner

Ebay has those masks,or they did have them.
Search Wanderlodge.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan & Cindy View Post
I was thinking about a clear covers to protect the clear coat which is easily chipped but know I'm thinking that touch up paint and clear is a better solution. Anybody have other solutions?
I have been using lamin-x products with great success.
VB 1570