Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 09-06-2010

I just did the insulation of the doghouse of Dave Styfs' FC. I'm sure the heat and noise to the cockpit will be considerably less.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 09-06-2010

there was a reason to spec out the insulation I did and that reason was dirt and grease
not everyone has the time or inclination to spit polish their lawn sculpture
and when the insulation is subjected to oil and dirt not that bluebirds leak
The insulation breaks down with obvious results.Particles of foam in air filters
its creates messy doghouses and flops over the rear engine coaches as well as being a fire hazard
the Current insulation I sell performs as advertised and does a really good job for what it costs
If anyone wants to reformulate the specs go to it. Polymer technologies will produce any laminate or composite that is desired
bearing in mind that not all wanderlodge owners have the need to drive a mobile hush box and there is a consideration to cost the more elaborate and esoteric you plan or spec. out
With the proper prep and and finishing this insualtion is just about impervious to water , oil ,grease and dirt
if you want insulation that is fireproof aircraft rated and has an eggcrate finish to absorb the noise let me know
BUT be prepared to pay for the product
As for the cost of the the present product we add a modest markup to stay in business and the high price of shipping take that up with UPS
I dont set the rates UPS does and the little brown truck comes at a cost not cause they like doing laps around the block
this Diatribe was not intended to address one person or group of people
instead of picking apart the products I sell you should try and market
some of this stuff and see if you can make a go of it
I spend the time and resources to research this and try to bring a product that offers good value at reasonable cost. for instance exhaust system
it was all welll and good that someone produced a system in stainless steel
Kurt and myself than it got re-engineered (too much Backpressure stainless wasnt good enough wrong size) and on it went
We did not sell any. I had $2000.00 Dollars invested in the venture. I ate that
I revisited it and now we sell Exhaust systems for Wanderlodge (still wrong type of stainless) we have not sold 1, ONE, a single, uno 304 Stainless Muffler, but we have sold a mitt full of 409 mufflers and aluminized mufflers
You don't need the the high priced 304 Stainless muffler and most of us can't afford or justify the cost. And yes you need some back pressure

If any one is willing to stand up to the plate they can buy the company but it wont come cheap and then I will be able to take the shots at the products

Again this was not directed at any one person or group of people but just a general rant

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 09-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
John,

I'm not throwing stones; I'm assisting a fellow Wanderlodge owner. Stephen's insulation, made by Polymer Technologies and distributed in the States by Oshex, is a fine product. But renewing the sound absorbing material in the genny compartment is a bunch of work, and to do it right requires the removal of the genny. It'd be a shame to go thru all that work only to be disappointed with the results. Sure, the shiny stuff is better than nothing, but for the small amount of material required and the huge amount of labor needed, there are more effective materials. My mistake for referring to the material as Stephen's insulation; I should have said Polymer Technologies.
and also distributed Dupree Products in Canada and the United States

www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Old 09-06-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

For those FC owners that are contemplating insulating their generator compartment, I DID NOT REMOVE my generator to insulate the compartment, I blocked up the coach and then extended the generator drawer and crawled up into the back open side where the generator was at when it is closed and did all of the work from in there and I did not have any assistance, yes it is some labor but not that much considering the results and I agree with Stephen on the foam insulation, my Perkins leaked and some oil got into the foam on the inside of the new swing open door, now that I have the Powertech in there, I may replace those sections of the Auralex that are soaked with oil and dirt, before I just wiped the oil and dirt off of the mylar face on the insulation I got from Stephen.

To say that one type of insulation has the advantage over the other in my opinion is stretching it a little, they both have their good and bad points.

As far as results and difficulty of installation on a PT or a SP, I cannot say as I have never done one of those myself.

I'll bring my decibel meter with me to RATS, it sounds like we need another generator sound comparison

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 09-06-2010

john
the only catch to that is if you own a pre 79 Bird the Generator does not slide and it is a Boat anchor (12.5 Onan Aircooled petrol)
Then you have to have Randy as a friend ( if you feed him. He just may help with tyrannosaurus forkliftus)

www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Old 09-06-2010
Senior

Some of you may know that I help small businesses in my neighborhood. One of the things I stress to them is to put down on paper their complete dollar overhead to include, electricity, telephone, healthcare, natural gas or fuel oil, air conditioning service, employees salaries, advertisement costs etc etc. Thats all of the money each business spends before they ever turn the key to unlock the door every day. Most of them are very surprised and under estimate how much they have invested. People go into business to make a living and contribute something to others. So I sympathize with Stephen relative for him to get a decent markup on his products so he can stay in business. Unless of course he is part of the Salvation Army and giving stuff away.

I insulated the doghouse and generator compartment (without taking the generator out) using Soundown products and it is not the cheapest insulation to use by any means. But it is good. Each of us has a tradeoff between what we can live with versus what it costs and the time necessary to use it. That means on this forum there will be many different types of insulation used and because of this no one has a corner on the market. Stephen is trying to provide us with products we may have a problem getting anywhere else. For that reason we should support him if possible.
6V92
Old 09-07-2010

I made the comment to Dave Styf when I was using the insulation that he received from Stephen. I stated that this material seemed different then in past insulation. I believe this shipment is thicker. I had to make several passes with my utility knife to make the cuts. Seems heavier, also. Great stuff.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 09-07-2010
davidmbrady

Ernie,

I believe you insulated/soundproofed Bob Lawrence's genny compartment in Dec of '08, using Dupree Products material, and the sound decibel level, as measured, actually INCREASED. (yahoo group: WanderlodgeForum, post 40977), could be that this "new" material is better at absorbing sound. Perhaps Dupree Products can publish some sound attenuating (decibel) figures?

Last edited by davidmbrady; 09-07-2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Fixed typo.
Old 09-07-2010

I have Stephens insulation in my genny compartment, one half done, and it is whisper quiet, edges sealed with aluminum tape. I also used it as a base cushion for my antique chairs when I reupholstered them. It works great there also.
Go to Ace Hardware and purchase Weldwood Contact cement. Us it. You will not need fasteners because used properly you cannot move it. You get one shot.
I attached my hand fabricated 20 guage stainless package with it 5 years ago and it has not budged.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker

Last edited by jwasnewski; 09-07-2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Add info.
Old 09-07-2010

Dave I think it's unfair to post a statement like you just did. No one took measurements I would assume and while I don't know you this seems "personal" to me.

I have only met Stephen a time or two and don't know him that well. I've bought products from him and have been entirely satisfied.

I am sympathetic to his "realities" running his business and I object to what I think (rightly or wrongly) is an attempt to "hurt" him.

I'm in business and there are always two sides to every story.

I'll fight for Stephen and any other small business man because it's tough out here in the real world.

Like I said there are two sides to every story and you might have a "beef" I certainly don't know your side but Stephen is working to make a living at this. People read this stuff and some take it to "heart".

I just have the feeling your "heart" is not in the right place on this. Perhaps I have misjudged but that is my interpretation of your post.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold