Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 10-02-2010
Former Bird Owner

I second the suggestion for Bus Conversions magazine. It has excellent articles on "from scratch" conversions starting with empty bus shells. http://www.busconversions.com/

They also have a bulletin board where "bus nuts" share information -- possibly useful in finding some of the building components that aren't usually addressed in this forum. Check the back issues as there are some gems out there (unfortunately, the magazine changed ownership over a year ago, and the old issues are not well indexed.)

For example, one issue from 2 or 3 years back had the most complete information on servicing an AquaHot water heater/space heater hydronic furnace I've seen (with tricks and tips not found in the OEM service manual). Unfortunately, my copy with that article has gone astray, so I can't say what issue it was.

Another situation to keep in mind -- the 2007-2008 'birds (and possible some 2006) were overweight, particularly on the front axle. While most 'birds have the generator mounted in front, below the headlights, the recalled overweight units where having the generators re-mounted in a side compartment near the drive axle. However, the "standard" generator was a 20kwh model, that is probably rather heavier than the one you've acquired.

The point is to watch your weight distribution carefully -- the Do It Yourself approach should allow better weight distribution if you keep aware of the problems. Get some weights on the bus in its current state (probably after you remove the items you mention), then weigh the pieces as you install them and try to calculate the impact on the various axle weights. (Hint: look at instructions for calculating 'weight and balance' for small aircraft, though the calculation is more complex on a multi-axle vehicle.)

Hopefully you have the rated axle weights for each axle, as that is essential to the process.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 10-02-2010
davidmbrady

This may sound odd but I'd try to find a donor coach/rv. Maybe a salvage title. Simply transplant all the cabinetry and systems. This would be the quickest and possibly the cheapest to be up and running.
Old 10-02-2010
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
This may sound odd but I'd try to find a donor coach/rv. Maybe a salvage title. Simply transplant all the cabinetry and systems.
and i have a complete interior in Robs old 94!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-02-2010
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I'd measure, diagram, and photograph everything; label everything as it's disassembled; organize all supporting brackets and hardware; label and document all wiring receptacles and harnesses, both 12V and 120V; diagram all black, gray and fresh water plumbing and holding tanks; diagram all load centers; and then rebuild from the ground up in reverse order of disassembly. Photograph, measure, document, diagram and recreate the original. After your done, you may actually have something of value.
Old 10-03-2010

Thanks for all the great info guys. I really want to get the exterior done first, then move to the interior. I'd love to check out some flooring, and furniture.
Right now im working on finding a front bumber and 2 front fenders and headlights.
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-03-2010

That's one way to get it the way you want it, build it yourself.

I'll be interested in watching this. When you finish you'll be pretty well schooled in RV.

My suggestion is to keep it simple. BB tended to over do it and especially toward the end.

I wouldn't put a slide out in it. It's like cutting a hole in a boat. The fewer that better.

Keep sending updates. We live vicariously around here.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-03-2010

That looks like an awesome project. Have you tried any of the RV Salvage places near Elkhart Indiana for interior parts? Some freinds of mine transport traliers etc from that area to all over Canada and frequent the salvage yards. They have lots of interior and some exterior parts for sale relatively cheap. You may be able to get most of what you want there.
Rodney, Ontario
Old 10-03-2010

David,

An old classmate of mine is on his seventh Prevost conversion he has done himself in over forty years of RV'ing. He isn't far from you in London, Ontario. You might want to call him. Look him up. His name is Don Crawford. In his last conversion, which his wife says IS HIS LAST conversion, he had a slide installed. I am sure he can steer you past many pitfalls. Good luck. An awesome and wonderful project.
Old 10-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
This may sound odd but I'd try to find a donor coach/rv. Maybe a salvage title. Simply transplant all the cabinetry and systems. This would be the quickest and possibly the cheapest to be up and running.
Quote:
It did sound unusual at first but I think that is a great idea to get all the "Bluebird quality" into a coach. In addition, alot of the engineering is done.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 10-03-2010

Quote:

Send me those pic's of the interior when you have a chance Randy.

I may be able to use all or some of it.

There is some aspect of this design that we will do to suit our needs.
I have 2 kids, (15year old and a 6 year old) and the main purpose of this Motor home will be traveling and staying at Motocross (dirt bike) tracks on the weekends, and some extended stays down south in the winter.

My 15 year old son is a Dirt bike racer, and we are pretty serious about it, and do allot of traveling in Canada and the USA.
I am thinking about putting bunk beds towards the back just in front of the back bed room, this way we don’t have to use the couch and dinner table as beds.

I am picturing a very nice, but simple design and layout. Bed room in back, then in front of the bed room, bunk beds along one side, across from the bath room, then the kitchen, across from the dinette, then a leather couch behind the driver’s seat matched with a nice pair of captain’s chairs with a nice dark hardwood floor and dark wood cabinetry. This could all change however, but that is what I am picturing right now.

I think this is going to be a fun build, and I cant wait to finish the exterior so I can get going on the inside.
Cummins ISX-650HP