Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 12-01-2010

thanks jim
is the power in outlet switched or hot all the time ? i know some bus have switch on dash that powers up aux air comp.
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 12-01-2010

My dash has a switch position labeled "Air Compressor Master" but there is no switch in that spot. I assume that the switch was only installed if you ordered the auxiliary air compressor option from the factory. And, since it is a 110V outlet you would have to install a relay somewhere as well as the switch, and it would probably be easier to run new wires from the dash to the compartment than to try and figure out if some are already present.

My coach has enough relays that I don't want to complicate things any more by adding another one. Breaker #15 in my 110V electrical panel in the bedroom is labeled "Aux. Air Compressor/Garbage Disposal", and neither were installed at the factory. When the storm lets up I will check to see if this breaker in fact turns off the outlet in that compartment--I suspect that it does.

My compressor (or the hoses I added to it) will leak down slowly when not used, and I have not gotten down far enough on my "fixit list" to correct this. In actual use, the only times I use the air compressor requires that I open the compartment to either open the ball valve to air up the suspension or pull out the hose reel to blow something off or air up the tires. Since I have to open the compartment door to do any of these things I just reach in and flip the switch on the compressor. I leave the compartment door slightly open to keep the compressor from getting too hot, and to remind me to turn it off and shut the ball valve when I am finished using it.

In short, I don't think an inside switch is necessary if you don't have an air-operated toilet, and it could turn a one-hour install into a full day job. Or, you could just flip the breaker on when you need to power up the compressor from inside--as long as my assumption is correct that the breaker I mentioned actually controls the outlet in the water pump compartment.

If you really wanted to have an inside switch you could probably put your compressor on the opposite (curb) side of the coach. My coach had a dedicated outlet there for the electric slide out grill, and a microswitch that cuts power to the outlet when the grill was stowed in the compartment. One of the first things I did was replace this grill with a Weber Q portable gas grill, so this outlet is no longer needed. You would need to check to confirm this, but I would assume you could just run the (low voltage) wires from the micro switch for the electric grill to a toggle switch mounted near the restroom inside the coach. BUT, your compressor wouldn't be by the quick-disconnect air outlet in the road side compartment, and to me be able to turn a lever to air up the suspension is half of the value of having an auxiliary air compressor.
(Previously Pair of Jacks)
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 12-01-2010

thanks again jim
i pressently do almost the same as you i have comp. loose in compartment and just plug it in to outlet and plug air line into the female hose chuck on compartment wall- in my case the air bleeds off in about 2 min. i watch air gauge by dump valves in next compartment -i must have large air leak some place-thought that maybe i could not air up at that air chuck but you are not having any trouble with it so i'll mount comp. permanently and look for my air leaks ! i still would think that if we have labeling on dash for aux air even tho we don't have switch they would use stock wire harness that had low voltage circuit run. you are right that even if wiring is there could i ever find it? probably not!! the weird part of this is it takes 2-3 days for my air to leak off when i run engine to air up..??? thanks again for help mike
washington Il.
Old 12-01-2010

Mike-

I was going to take some pics of how my compressor and air hose reel fit in the compartment, and where the outlet is, but after reading your last post I guess that is not needed as you apparently already have a compressor in there. I'm a little confused because your first post started out with "want to install aux. air comp." FWIW, I did fasten my compressor down on the upper shelf in that compartment. It's such a tight fit with the hose reel that I didn't want it moving any and rubbing thru the air lines.

I haven't checked to see if breaker #15 turns off the compressor, but I did discover it turns off the microwave so using it as on/off switch is apparently not a good option.
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 12-02-2010

thanks jim
sorry for the the confussion, i bought used gast air compressor at rats-no controls just 120v. cord i set in bay with air chuck on wall because it had air chuck on wall and power i screwed male air fitting into it and used air line to hook to female air chuck on bay wall. i had no clue if this was right just trying to check air compressor out. when i saw air pressure leak off so quickly i thought this must not be the right location to install it. i didn't and don't consider it installed yet, with your help and knowledge i now know this is the proper location as it doesn't air up brakes ect. this was something that is good to know. i still am confused with why air leaks of so quickly i have been thinking about it and i am wondering if air is leaking back through air compresser as when i tested it i had no check valve in line. it is a used comp. valve may leak a bit. do you think i need rubber mounts under compressor? i have pressure control switch with unloader and check valve ordered and i will soon kwow if air leak is my own doing. thanks again your help is appreciated. mike
washington Il.
Old 12-02-2010
cmillsap

I believe that the aux air compressed air will slowly leak back through the compressor cylinder rings unless you have a check valve in the discharge line.

Chuck
Old 12-02-2010

thanks chuck
i thought it probably was but was not sure i have one on order-sure hope thats all it is as its cold outside! if its something else its a springtime job! this is still a work in progress install as still waiting on parts to arrive! if you have aux air compressor is it mounted with rubber mounts under it ? i didn't order any but i could add them if compressor sound transfer is a problem. thanks for your input mike
washington Il.
Old 12-02-2010

Mike-

I understand better now. Here's a pic of my compressor setup, the moisture trap is just to the right of the vertical generator exhaust pipe, and you can see the shutoff lever just below it.

FWIW, breaker 15 doesn't control this outlet. The one below it does--in my coach at least. I know this because the breaker tripped when I was airing up my tires and the electric compartment heater came on. At least I know it works!

Also, this outlet runs off the inverter also, so that is another reason to leave the compressor switched off except when you are actually using it...
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 12-02-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmagoo View Post
thanks chuck
i thought it probably was but was not sure i have one on order-sure hope thats all it is as its cold outside! if its something else its a springtime job! this is still a work in progress install as still waiting on parts to arrive! if you have aux air compressor is it mounted with rubber mounts under it ? i didn't order any but i could add them if compressor sound transfer is a problem. thanks for your input mike
Just mounted to the floor, no vibration and not very noisy. This Gast compressor is only rated at 100 psi max. It will not build enough pressure to sneeze the air dryer. I only use it to air up the aux items such as the dump valves. I use the Husky to air up the tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20100813_0001.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	7502  
Old 12-02-2010

thanks jim
i can even see how you mounted it- vary clean looking install! think i'll copy it!! if i may ask is that your inverter in upper right over moisture trap? i'm going to install new inverter/charger(xantrex sw3000) soon....wife is tired of tripping over it!
thanks again mike
washington Il.