Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 12-02-2010

thanks chuck
the gast air compressor that i bought looks like your i think 100psi was max for this compressor also - maybe less now its not new. will the husky build 115-120psi?
thanks for the pics and info mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 12-02-2010

That's not my inverter above the moisture trap--it's the factory installed heat cube that keeps the water pumps pumping in freezing weather. I just removed the bolts that hold the rubber feet on and put bolts all the way through the shelf it sits on and the rubber feet. I also lightened my coach considerably by drilling several extra holes during the mounting process.

BTW, I really like having the hose reel in there. It fits just right and makes the chore of coiling and uncoiling the air hose a fun task instead.

I think the Porter Cable compressor puts out 150 psi, but I could be mistaken. I have mine set to cut off at 125 psi--enough to air up the tires but not high enough to do any damage.
(Previously Pair of Jacks)
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 12-02-2010

Mike,

My compartment looks very much like Jim's. When we bought the coach, the PO had removed the Gast compressor, so I had to buy one and install it. I found a fitting with a plug in it on the rear panel, near the back of the compartment. That is where the compressor and dryer are supposed to connect. Somewhere downstream there is a check valve. The pressure stays up in the auxiliary tank even though the compressor circuit pressure bleeds.

You need a relay with a 12vdc coil to switch the 110vac to the pump. It goes in a box on the back wall. You also need a pressure switch which has set points to turn the compressor on and to turn it off at given pressures.

The problem finding the 12vdc wire from the dash was that it was green, so I assumed it was a ground wire until I finally figured it out.

The air chuck on the aft wall is where you plug in the air hose reel or loose hose.

I don't need another compressor since the toilet is electric. However, the Gast compressor will not air up the tires, so I have it set for 60 psi on and 80 psi off. I only use it for the dump valves and to get a head start on air bags before leaving a campsite. If I need air for tires, the engine compressor works, but with difficulty for the front tires. You have to wait until the air dryer pops off.
Old 12-03-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmagoo View Post
thanks chuck
the gast air compressor that i bought looks like your i think 100psi was max for this compressor also - maybe less now its not new. will the husky build 115-120psi?
thanks for the pics and info mike
Mike,

The Husky Compressor will build 150psi quickly to fill the tank, I think it's about 3cfm, I bought it at Lowes ($129 if I remember correctly). It's a good unit for the money but it's pretty loud when running.

Chuck
Old 12-03-2010

thanks ron
good info i'm sure you were pulling your hair out before you figured wiring out!
thanks mike
washington Il.
Old 12-03-2010

thanks jim
i don't think that i've got a heater in that bay -i should though it could prevent some problems.
thanks for the info mike
washington Il.
Old 12-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmillsap View Post
Mike,

The Husky Compressor will build 150psi quickly to fill the tank, I think it's about 3cfm, I bought it at Lowes ($129 if I remember correctly). It's a good unit for the money but it's pretty loud when running.

Chuck
thanks chuck
i think i,ve got some "lowes bucks"a husky may be in my hands for xmas!!
mike
washington Il.
Old 12-03-2010
Administrator

HomeDepot has the 150 psi Porter Cable for $99.00, 12/2 to 12/8.
Old 12-04-2010

There is a BIG difference between the GAST compressor and the Big Box store compressors that are out there.

A Gast compressor is rated for continuous duty in extreme conditions. They are very pricey for a reason!

If you take a Porter Cable or similar small compressor apart, you will see that they aren't really built to last. Also, they are considerably louder.

As mentioned by Chuck, you WILL need a check valve installed with the Gast, otherwise, your air will leak right back out.

Earlier this year, my coach's original Gast died (after 19 years!), and I bought a Porter Cable from Home Depot to use as a replacement. After noticing the difference in noise level, and observing the build quality, I bought a replacement Gast instead. The Porter Cable is now sitting in my garage, and is used for the purpose it was built for: OCCASIONAL use inflating tires and such...

Personally, I think the Gast is the way to go for long term reliable (quiet) use. It won't pump up your steer tires, but it'll air everything else up without any issues!

-Robert
Linden, Michigan
Old 12-04-2010
Forum Moderator

I agree Robert. The GAST is preferable. Just one question though. Can't you buy a GAST that has a PSI rating high enough to inflate tires to 115lbs or higher???