Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 03-19-2008
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteaeonix View Post
Tom McCarthy has replaced the awnings on his '95 with powered awnings. He had them attached to the goat rails (after some strengthening). It's a very clean-looking installation -- and is rather like the installation on the newest WLs. I'm tempted -- but the cost is higher than I want to invest (but if I hit my head on one of the support arms enough times, it may seem more affordable).
Yes Pete Tommy's awning are awesome but did you know the only reason he bought them was because they came with a remote control. He and I have been in competition for several years on 'who has the most remotes'. He's one or two up on me right now and I hear he's recently bought an electric toothbrush with a remote.
Old 03-19-2008

That sounds like a nice upgrade. I have no problem with the original Zip Dee awnings, but since my Bird is missing its main awning, I figure I might as well upgrade!

Is the shell of Tom's awning metal, or is it plastic? It seems to me that the metal protective shell is fast becoming harder and harder to find in awnings.
Linden, Michigan
Old 03-19-2008
Former Bird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
Yes Pete Tommy's awning are awesome but did you know the only reason he bought them was because they came with a remote control. He and I have been in competition for several years on 'who has the most remotes'. He's one or two up on me right now and I hear he's recently bought an electric toothbrush with a remote.
Well, I can see that a remote for the awnings would be handy. But if he has a lot of remote controlled appliances, he needs to get a tool belt so he can carry them all at the same time.

I can see how an electric toothbrush with a remote would be very handy if you have dentures. Then you could brush your teeth from across the room without ever leaving your chair.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 03-19-2008

We are looking into repair on our awning. A gust opened it and warped it when we were driving across the Peace River on the way to 04 RIV. We got the pole straight enough to close it and it has been tied up ever since. I will be interested to know more about getting it done.
Old 03-21-2008

Big awning awailable

Main 19' awning colapsed in rain storm and was replaced with a complete new Zip Dee unit. ($2400 including shipment and installation)

I have kept the old unit which is in good condition but needs the following:
19' aluminum tube (cost unknown) and 3 end pieces for stantions (est. $25 each).Stantions are straight and the replacement cost for a set alone is over $450.
Cloth is (toast colour i.e. tan) with Blue Bird logo.
This awning is available for $ 600 picked up here in New Hampshire or possibly FMCA rally in Wisconsin or Rats in GA. Awning is presently on top of my coach in shiping tube.

Any interest give me a call
603 835 7923
Old 03-21-2008

Jim,

Try to get it done by your insurance company, my replacement was covered by Progressive, less deductible.
Old 03-21-2008
pgchd

Hummmm, I've seen Pictures of Tom's setup......sweet!!!! I also hit my head EVERY TIME I put up the big awning .......anyway being the fugal person I am I went to Wally world and bought bright yellow "swimmies" the kids use, took a razor blade and split them open on 1 hexagonal side and install them on the awning sides........hit my head less and when I do, it doesn't hurt as much...have bright pink "waiting in the wings"
Old 03-21-2008
Former Bird Owner

Oh, I like the 'swimmie' thing. I was thinking of getting some foam pipe insulation, but the bright color of the swimmie would be more eye catching.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 03-23-2008
Tommy Two Shoes

Smile

My electric awnings are from Girard. The housings are metal. I have 6 that include a patio and door awning. As far as remotes, I am changing the rules of the game with Rob and Greg. The winner will be who has the most sophisticated universal remote that operates the most toys.

Tommy 'Two Shoes' McCarthy

GoneAway
2006 M450LXI
Gardnerville, NV
Near South Lake Tahoe in the Carson Valley
Old 03-24-2008

Tommy,

I like the way you think! The more remote controlled gadgets, the better!

-Robert
Linden, Michigan