Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 1 Week Ago

Ed - I am installing the filter setup now, there wasn't one before. I read all of Shane's stuff where the filter seemed to disintegrate and collect in his transmission cooler, but I have no idea what caused that. I suspect the cellulose filters need to be changed yearly. I refuse to spend $70 on a fancy synthetic filter when the cellulose filters have worked fine for a million years. I am going to run the non-SCA filters this year and monitor levels manually and then decide what to do going forward. The coolant that came out of the engine and rad is nice and clean as the previous owner took care of it. The chassis heaters were disconnected a long time ago and when I flushed them out in prep for reconnecting them a huge amount of muck came out of them so I decided this coolant filter needed to happen.

The pumps aren't mounted yet due to the cold. Now there's 2" of ice on everything and you can't safely even stand next to it.
Old 1 Week Ago
Forum owner

Andy,this info may be old news to you,and we may have talked about this before.
The coolant filters are normally in a heater hose or a hose loop added just for the coolant filter.
If the filter is in a heater hose loop or maybe the compressor hose loop it will not filter very much coolant.
Its not like its in the lower rad hose where it would filter 100% of the coolant.

Back when John Finn and i had the really disasterus result of flushing his cooling system i spent a lot of time researching coolant filters.

Itsbeen a few years,so the numbers here may be off (will be off!) but it seemed like the coolant filter is a bypass filter,it does not filter 100%of the fluid going through it,its more like 15% of the fluid gets filtered,and thats the fluid going through the loop that the filter is in.
So in the big picture the coolant fliter filters very little coolant.
Now don't get me wrong,i like coolant filters,but they don't do much work,but any work is better than none.

The WIX engineer that told me all this stuff said using a bypass filter was insurance against the filter plugging up and over heating something.

On Finns coach they (Ed Wimberly) ended up with a house water filter in the top rad hose to catch the crud that was coming out of the block.
This was done at Eds home,the coach did not move during the filtering.
Ed ran the coach at fast idle for days,back flushing and doing everything he could to get the stuff out of Johns block.

Why am i telling you this?
i guess because if i knew my heaters had muck in them,i would be flushing them with hot water and soap,and back flushing and not be depending on a coolant filter that does not filter much to do the job.

John Finns engine was full of stop leak,pepper,oatmeal and who knows what all.
WE flushed the engine and released all that stuff and it plugged the rad up about 4 times,we wore the bolts out taking the rad out and we had 2 new rads built and screwed them up too.
Bad deal for all involved.

Once we got it cleaned out,the block started leaking coolant.
We opened up the leak the PO had fixed with stop leak...

Thanks Ed,for saving my marriage!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 1 Week Ago
Forum owner

Ohh,one more thing,filters have a shelve life too,Shane may have had an old filter?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 1 Week Ago

Randy - thanks for the info! I read about some of that, but I never got the whole picture. There was some history of cooling system issues on my bus because a previous owner had the radiator removed and rodded out, water pump changed, and the coolant I drained (twice now) was absolutely clean. I suspect during whatever event drove this work is when they cut all the lines to the chassis heaters and left it that way.

I rigged up an 8 gallon bucket with coolant and a submersible pump and hooked it directly to each chassis heater circuit with a household water filter in-line. That filter plugged in 10 seconds, literally. I took the filter out and just ran the pump for hours to loosen up whatever mud was in there. Then I reversed the flow and ran for a few more hours. After much more screwing around I've gotten the fluid to run clear, so in theory everything is good and clean, but I'm sure more will loosen up when those heaters get hot again for the first time in probably 10 years. I also pressurized the heaters to about 15 lbs and it held, nothing leaked. The hoses on the heaters look good, too.

I think everything is nice and clean so the filter is more of an indicator and a convenient way to keep the SCA's up over time.
Old 1 Week Ago

The speed sensor adapter for the cruise box is all soldered up. I still have to machine an enclosure for it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vr counter 1.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	60177  
Old 1 Week Ago

Here's a terrible photo of the new engine-mounted coolant temp gauge. It's a Marshall "engine thermometer". I was going to make up a gauge panel but it's not worth all the messing around with that. This is simple and effective. I also added a mechanical oil pressure gauge to what I now believe it probably just an oil drain/return port. The plug I took out had oil on it, but nothing ran out of the hole. I guess we'll see when I fire it up.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gauges1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	60178  
Old 1 Week Ago
Forum owner

Having a filter will help,no matter how much it filters,anything is better than nothing.
I have put a piece of window screen over the top neck on a rad and then slid the hose over the screen,clamp the hose and run it.
You will be amazed at the stuff you catch in the screen.

Anytime i built a new engine i would do this screen deal,you never know whats lurking in an engine block.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 5 Days Ago

I ordered the new sofa today. Ugh ($$$). I ended up getting a Flexsteel 4212 easy bed because it has removable arms, comfortable to sit on, and is 76" long to fit over the box where the jackknife currently resides. Now I just get to wait 12 weeks for it! It's a good thing I didn't tear out the old one yet. The Lazy Boy will be ready in like 5 weeks. Gah! Sorry Randy, I had to do the Lazy Boy. I did find one of those fancy Elkhornnes or whatever they call them and it was pretty comfy. But not 3x the price comfy...
Old 4 Days Ago

We went out last night and found the La-Z-Boy we wanted in a showroom so we brought it home with us! I just got it in the bus now. I am going to put a lazy susan bearing under it so it swivels a bit. Now I can commence to building the new fold-away table. This is where we eat dinner, do laptop work, etc, since we don't have a dinette. The front passenger's seat spins around and the table will pop up and over our laps.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	la-z-boy1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	60265  
Old 3 Days Ago

look'n good andy
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.