Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > SP (Single Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

SP (Single Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your SP model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....List your SP parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-23-2015

Default Current spring p/n

Purchased two springs from CAT dealer.
New p/n 6I-1810, $5.81 each.
Bruce
Cat 3208TA
Old 12-23-2015
TECHNOMAGE

Rick: I have the nice color advertising brochure (from my bluebox) LECT7148
dated 5/87 and it shows several pictures of the pistons and rings and there are only two/piston and they brag about it. If they changed the design shortly thereafter, I wouldn't know. I have the engine's id plate if that would mean anything. It has no delivery date. I would suspect the mfg date was sometime in 1988.
Did they add another ring by 1988? Startup is always smokey to some degree. Oil consumption is not bad though. The CAT has a "slobber tube" just like the Detroit
2-strokes.
Old 12-23-2015
TECHNOMAGE

Bruce: If the springs you got are similar to the one I got, I would say you are covered because the current model sure looks lots "huskier"! Digging around in that area on my
engine necessitated attaching strings to all my tools. If they drop into inaccessible places, they are history. I managed to lose a few nuts, bolts and washers too.
Old 08-07-2016
TECHNOMAGE

Default Whoopee tranny tcu, throttle ++ problems are in the past is

Rick, Mike, Bill, KC,Dick,Crit, Davehttp://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com
/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
Thanks again gang!
A lot of other things intervened, but
I FINALLY got my 89SP out on the road this evening for an "acid test" (better test than what I did in December). Thanks to 10++ volts to the TCU she shifts soooo smooth. Thanks to the throttle spring replacement + some load sensor
adjustment as documented earlier, the beast "charges up hills" and the tranny seems to be in the right gear at the right time AND you normally don't notice it shifting cus it doesn't dilly. I think every previous owner of this machine may have suffered from the "low voltage" supply problem to the
TCU and just figured that it was the best the coach would do and lived with "pokey shifting" . It ain't a sportscar, but compared to its "old self"...

For Mike: With todays 84 degree day there was no visible smoke on startup nor shortly thereafter at idle (I was standing next to the pipe). Idle rpm remains a smooth slow 540. So I guess those two piston rings work ok (on a cold day forgettaboutit til baby warms up )!

Thanks again for all your help
Old 08-08-2016

Default 1989 36sp Allison Transmission will not shift

Hello all

again my 89sp 4 speed transmission will not shift now in Albuquerque New Mexico.. my Bird is also listed for sale... Now due to the stress that I am under and my health issues I need to part ways with my bird it is listed for sale... I will now have to sale at below market value.. I can no longer take the stress this bird has caused me I have a heart condition that is just getting worse from the constant issues of this bird... so if any one looking for a very nice 89sp just look at my bird listing here on the blog. make me an offer so I can get off the road and doctors rest orders. I may have to put in storage for a time and travel without my bird... Don't get me wrong it is most likely just a tps or not enough volts to trans to allow to shift.. not a major repair I just can not continue like this. let me know what I can do... been working on it past day or so I have to leave rv park in four days and no way to get her fixed/// if anyone knows of someone in this area that can help would be great. thanks one and all... David and the Corgi's adventures
Old 08-08-2016
TECHNOMAGE

Smile Transmission won't shift -- for david

David: You mentioned in your post that your 89SP had an Allison Tranny. Are you absolutely sure? I'm familiar with the ZF and some of its quirks.
If your coach is Allison, tranny repair guys are familiar with them.
Dunno if it has a separate "brain" box besides the remote push buttons.
If it is a ZF let me know since I had the fun of "fixing" TCU (transmission control unit) and tracing wiring and taking voltage measurements (back in December).
I documented as much as I could with pictures just in case someone else suffered the same symptoms. If the TCU croaks some internal power supply
component there will NOT be any shifting at all. Fortunately, those are the easiest (and cheapest) parts to fix! The cheapest components are soldered to the PC boards and the more expensive ones are in sockets. I'd say everything is probably "off the shelf" electronic components. The integrated circuits in my TCU are all "MILSPEC" so they are made to function over a huge temperature range! High temperature speeds the demise of
electrolytic capacitors (well documented in manufacturer spec sheets).
Hope this helps.
Cal
Old 08-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomage99 View Post
David: You mentioned in your post that your 89SP had an Allison Tranny. Are you absolutely sure? I'm familiar with the ZF and some of its quirks.
If your coach is Allison, tranny repair guys are familiar with them.
Dunno if it has a separate "brain" box besides the remote push buttons.
If it is a ZF let me know since I had the fun of "fixing" TCU (transmission control unit) and tracing wiring and taking voltage measurements (back in December).
I documented as much as I could with pictures just in case someone else suffered the same symptoms. If the TCU croaks some internal power supply
component there will NOT be any shifting at all. Fortunately, those are the easiest (and cheapest) parts to fix! The cheapest components are soldered to the PC boards and the more expensive ones are in sockets. I'd say everything is probably "off the shelf" electronic components. The integrated circuits in my TCU are all "MILSPEC" so they are made to function over a huge temperature range! High temperature speeds the demise of
electrolytic capacitors (well documented in manufacturer spec sheets).
Hope this helps.
Cal
It has been discussed a number of times. He does have an Allison not a ZF.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 07-04-2018

Default Throttle spring question

Hello Cal, this thread of yours is my favorite on the forum. I don't have a problem with engine rpm, however, I was intrigued by that spring being broken. Am I understanding correctly that this spring is the only mechanical means to connect the pump input shaft to the rest of the throttle system? And that it looks like it acts as a buffer to overzealous "mashing the throttle"? When I first saw the image, my first thought was that it was a "return" spring, you know, many installed to return to idle as safety devices. But WOW, amazing how things can be different than they appear especially when troubleshooting. Good job sharing circuit board troubleshooting. Kudos to Rick for sharing huge piece of puzzle.
Trinityoilsupply@gmail.com
Trinityoilsupply.com

Last edited by Trinity; 07-04-2018 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Added credit to Rick
Old 07-04-2018

I may be completely off base here but I don't see your wanderlodge for sale anywhere on the website. Am I missing something here ?
Old 07-04-2018

Default You talkin to me fred

If yes, I havent been pushing it because I just won't have much time to fiddle with it until fall when it cools off, I need to work on the air system after I replace the hydraulic supply line from the pump to the leveler controls.
Trinityoilsupply@gmail.com
Trinityoilsupply.com