Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Default Fuel tank active leak

So our bus is a jealous bird. We had taken our focus off of her for the past week and tended to our failing bat colony and the bus developed a actively dripping leak! Of course we have about 200 gallons of diesel in there. Now we have the joy of trying to figure out what to do with all that fuel and how to fix that massive tank. No rest for the weary.

Fort Myers, Florida
1982 FC33 3208T "EM-50" - SOLD
1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"

danahcks@aol.com
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Default What's the location of the free fuel??

Man, I thought I had it bad when a electric fuel pump went bad inside a just filled up 25 gallon gas tank in a car. I feel your pain.
2000 VW Jetta VR6
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

WHere???
could be a hose, fitting, you may have a leaky fuel pump, bottom of tank sump
Old 2 Weeks Ago

May want to talk to these guys. They will blast the tank out on the inside to remove any rust, patch holes then bake their coating on both inside and out.

https://www.gastankrenu.com/
Old 2 Weeks Ago

If needed you can use a shop vac on the fill neck to stop the leak temporary. I have used epoxy putty on a tractor to repair a leak this way.

1990 Wanderlodge SP 36
Old 2 Weeks Ago

He looked at it closer last night and it appears to be leaking from the mid tank mount near the corner, he said. He is scrambling for suitable containers to pump the fuel into...but it is a holiday of course. He put a little pint container under it last night around 9pm and it was full this morning at 4am, just to get an idea how fast it is dripping. Due to the sheer weight of 200 gals, I am afraid a small leak could become a bigger leak. Might put it all in 55gal clean oil drums but then what on Earth do we do with those heavy drums at my house? We don't have a forklift.

Just rotten timing.....

Fort Myers, Florida

danahcks@aol.com
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Dana, I had or have a similar problem. I can tell you what I've done which may or not be a permanent solution.

There are epoxy materials which are supposed to work to stop the leak. I've used most of them with mixed results. Right now no leak . JB weld seemed to work the best but it's very slow setting up and it's CRITICAL that it not be exposed to diesel until it is completely cured. Not just set up cured at least 24 hours.

You may not have to remove the fuel. Here is what I would try. The shop vac trick will work. Stick the hose into the tank a using electrical tape or duck tape wind around the hose end until you have a tight seal. When you turn on the vac your drip should stop.

Then you can clean and dry the area around the leak . Once you get the metal clean and dry or as good as you can I would suggest using one of the fuel tank seal expoxy materials made specifically for the purpose found at auto zone . Using only enough to cover the leak stuff some into the crack or what ever and leave the vacuum run until that stuff is set up and cured. Now theoretically you may be done but I would go one step more.

If you have the leak stopped I would make a metal patch to cover the area . Mix up plenty of.the regular JB weld and cement the patch over top of your hopefully clean and dry repair. IF you can do this and get that JB weld completely cured without fuel contamination you have a chance. Two layers belts and suspenders

The critical part is having the area free of diesel. They say it's not necessary I've found that not to be true.

I've struggled with this. Right now no leak but if this does not work the welding the tank is only solution. Trying to find some one willing to weld the tank not easy.

Good luck and keep us informed

Remember. Clear and dry until cured ( that's the difficult part) shop vac a big help. Keep it one until the first stuff sets up.

Good luck.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia
Old 2 Weeks Ago

This shop vac trick...I am assuming this is to be used once the tank is empty? Or are you using this to create a vacuum effect inside the tank of fuel by removing the air, to stop the leak?

I just don't relish the thought of having (4) 55gal drums of fuel in my driveway for an unspecified amount of time.

Fort Myers, Florida

danahcks@aol.com
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Dana,

" Form Follows Function "

I assure you your neighbors and the EPA would rather see 4 barrels in your yard than a stream of Diesel running down your drive way . I also know for fact that failure to act is criminal . I suggest you pump that fuel out ASAP and then deal with the area it leaks . If I were in Fla I would be at your assistance now to help you . Get er done Dana !

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 2 Weeks Ago

another coach owner with near empty tanks could "hold" all that diesel for you. Put your location and a call out, you can sell that off I'm sure if you need to
stuart@safcofoam.com