Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 5 Days Ago

Default Stinky Odor

91 WB. Last year was our first full summer with the bird. Wefirst noticed a strong sewer type odor towards the front of the coach when parked, usingthe air. At times I would notice the same when showering using the fantasticfan in the bathroom. The same is also present when driving down the road, atthe front of the coach with just the driver’s window open.
Attempting to solve this I have replaced the black/graywater vent cover on top of the coach with a 360 vent. Nope, didn’t solve it.Next, I removed the toilet (Aquaphor LF220 electric) and put a new vent tube in.While at it, I replaced the floor wax ring, and also the bowl to hopper seal,all with the latest stuff from Ed Mullaney and Associates. Nope. Still stinkygoing down the road. I've also replaced the AC filters, no change.
At this point I’m at a loss. Is there another vent that I ammissing? Could the AC drains have anything to do with this? Any thoughts youall could share would be helpful.
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debugjaws View Post
91 WB. Last year was our first full summer with the bird. Wefirst noticed a strong sewer type odor towards the front of the coach when parked, usingthe air. At times I would notice the same when showering using the fantasticfan in the bathroom. The same is also present when driving down the road, atthe front of the coach with just the driver’s window open.
Attempting to solve this I have replaced the black/graywater vent cover on top of the coach with a 360 vent. Nope, didn’t solve it.Next, I removed the toilet (Aquaphor LF220 electric) and put a new vent tube in.While at it, I replaced the floor wax ring, and also the bowl to hopper seal,all with the latest stuff from Ed Mullaney and Associates. Nope. Still stinkygoing down the road. I've also replaced the AC filters, no change.
At this point I’m at a loss. Is there another vent that I ammissing? Could the AC drains have anything to do with this? Any thoughts youall could share would be helpful.
Do you have a washer/dryer? If you do, make sure there is water in the trap and not dried out from lack of use. If you don't have one, then I would check the anti siphoning valve. I have one located in the wall behind my washer,dryer. Not sure where yours may be. Try the custom google search bar above on anti siphoning valve.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 5 Days Ago

i think i remember about a plumbing cheak valve type vent like oatlys sure vent someone will know the details its behind a wall sorry thats all i remember ok i think jims got it
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 5 Days Ago

I think I've seen the check-valve/anti-siphon/sure-vent under our sinks. On our birds the kitchen sink drains into the black tank since they are on the same side. But there's nowhere easy to run a vent from the kitchen sink due to the window. So I think there's an Air Admittance Valve under the sink. Might have to remove the panel in the back of the sink cabinet to see it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAV.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	56405  
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Do you have a washer/dryer? If you do, make sure there is water in the trap and not dried out from lack of use. If you don't have one, then I would check the anti siphoning valve. I have one located in the wall behind my washer,dryer. Not sure where yours may be. Try the custom google search bar above on anti siphoning valve.
I had the same problem. My coach is plumbed for a washer, but I don't have one. Pulled the back panel of the closet, the washer drain was the source of the smell. Only smelled when the fantastic fan was on. Plugged that drain, now all is smelling like roses!

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Old 5 Days Ago

Most gray tanks smell as bad as black. The culprit could be either one.
2000 LX40 ME "Angry Bird!"
Body# 129047
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 5 Days Ago
Forum owner

Theres also a vacuum breaker that can smell,its behind the wall.
normally above the black tank,its used with the tank flusher.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 5 Days Ago

Do you have Toyo tires? Mine smell like a pig lot. Makes me mad as **** to think about it. Their one year old and still stink especially when its hot.
1996 WB-42
2006 Trailblazer LT 4wd
Bartow, Fl
dclembo128@verizon.net
Old 5 Days Ago

Dan, I had some Toyo tires that had the same smell, everyone laughed at me. Sorry but glad you got it too.

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Old 5 Days Ago
Forum owner

I bought about 40 Toyos a few years ago,the semi they came in smelled terribly of cat pee.
But,the last batch i bought did not smell,thats my story and i'm sticking to it..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com