Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 02-02-2010

Default Least Troublesome Model Year?

Howdy, WOGers.
I don't know if this message belongs in the General category. If not, please move it.

Of the Wanderlodges that have slide outs, which model year is the least troublesome?

TIA,
Liz Pearce
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 02-02-2010
davidmbrady

Talk about a loaded question. LOL I take it that you're interested in ranking the mtce issues of the slides, not the coaches overall.

I wouldn't dare rank them, but here's some info on each. You can draw your own conclusions.

1) LXi/LX slides are done by HWH, the controls are all relays and descrete components, no computer control. The rams and locking pins are hydraulic and use the same HWH pump and reservoir as your jacks, the slide seal is pneumatic. HWH is still in business.

2) The M380 slides are proprietary BlueBird. They are computer controlled. The electronics run on 12V but are powered by a 120V-to-12V converter; i.e., you need shore power or an inverter turned on to convert 12V to 120V back to 12V. Computer control typically requires resetting if trouble arises. LR slide is air powered, BR slide is electric screw motor driven. Locks are electric in BR and air in LR. May require starting engine to air up sufficiently to get locks/slide to move. The outfit that did the electronic controls is still in business.

3) M450 slides are proprietary BlueBird, systems are 28V, locking pins are air driven, slide rooms are motor driven, computer controlled. Require a 120V-to-28V converter which need 120V shore power or 120V power from an inverter. Converter runs constantly, sucking boondocking power. Slide seals are air.
Old 02-02-2010
Forum owner

David,I don't think the slide seals are air on the 450's.
I may be wrong!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-02-2010
Timberlake Products Group

I haven't had the first problem with mine

My swing open door leaks air though...

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup

Last edited by Turbokitty; 02-02-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2010
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
David,I don't think the slide seals are air on the 450's.
I may be wrong!
Randy, you're probably right. Admittedly, I know the least about the 450 systems. Wish there were more 450 owners communicating on this site. I'd like to know more.
Old 02-02-2010
WanderBee

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 1999 slide models require an axle change - done under recall? Something that you may want to be mindful of if you are looking at one of that particular year. 1999 was the first year for slides.
Marietta, GA
Old 02-02-2010
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joatha View Post
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 1999 slide models require an axle change - done under recall?
Now we're getting into coach issues vs slide issues. Not quite sure what the original question was directed at. There were recalls to LXi axles over the years. Any buyer would be wise to weigh the coach empty ('cept fuel and water) and record the Spicer tag axle model number on the steer axle, which specs the weight capacity of the axle, to be certain the coach isn't overweight.
Old 02-02-2010

Jack and Liz,
Although the first slide models may have hit the market in 1999, the first model year for a Blue Bird with slides was the 2000. It is an HWH system and we have encountered very few problems with ours other than the system seems to tilt on the slide side after it has been out for a day or two. We took the coach to an HWH certified dealer back in September and they were unable to diagnose the problem. I have since learned that HWH problems are best handled at one of their master certified dealerships. Unfortunately, other issues with the coach have precluded us getting it to one of those dealers since that time. I've spoken with George at Bleakley in Unadilla and he indicated that he thought it was a solenoid. If I ever get the coach back on the road I will find out if that was the problem. Other than that, our system has performed flawlessly although we did have it serviced and checked regularly at the factory until it closed.
"Always Something"
Old 02-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Eagle View Post
Jack and Liz,
Although the first slide models may have hit the market in 1999, the first model year for a Blue Bird with slides was the 2000. It is an HWH system and we have encountered very few problems with ours other than the system seems to tilt on the slide side after it has been out for a day or two. We took the coach to an HWH certified dealer back in September and they were unable to diagnose the problem. I have since learned that HWH problems are best handled at one of their master certified dealerships. Unfortunately, other issues with the coach have precluded us getting it to one of those dealers since that time. I've spoken with George at Bleakley in Unadilla and he indicated that he thought it was a solenoid. If I ever get the coach back on the road I will find out if that was the problem. Other than that, our system has performed flawlessly although we did have it serviced and checked regularly at the factory until it closed.
Thank you for your reply. I don't understand what you meant by the following:
the system seems to tilt on the slide side after it has been out for a day or two.

Does the slide actually sag?

TIA,
Liz
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 02-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
Talk about a loaded question. LOL I take it that you're interested in ranking the mtce issues of the slides, not the coaches overall........................................... ........
Howdy, David.
Thank you for your most informative reply. What did you mean by "mtce issues"?

Regards,
Liz
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com