Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Places to Visit

Places to Visit Talk about your travels. Let others know of great places they should visit? Let us know where it is and what's great about it.

Site Search:

Old 04-11-2008

Smile Blue ridge Parkway

Has any one ever driven the Blue Ridge Parkway in a Bird? I crossed the road a few times but never tried to drive on it. Its a lot of up and down for 457 miles, so I would like to know if anyone conquered this scenic road? (in a bird)??
Old 04-11-2008

Hi I live a mile from the Blue ridge Pky, I known it well (I have bicycled the length 4 times) I have a PT 40 I have seen large tour buses from time to time, the main problem are the tunnels you have to center drive them which at best is crazy, what I would suggest is, and I do is say drive up to the parkway on 215 and at the parkway is a wonderful overlook at 5000ft have lunch or dinner stay overnight then travel back down.
if you contact BRP on the internet they have a great map
guy smalley
86 pt40
Old 04-12-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juergen View Post
Has any one ever driven the Blue Ridge Parkway in a Bird? I crossed the road a few times but never tried to drive on it. Its a lot of up and down for 457 miles, so I would like to know if anyone conquered this scenic road? (in a bird)??
Larry Dill in his FC model 'Bird on his way down to Maxton a couple of weeks ago, drove down Skyline Drive (toll road) which is at the northern end of the BRP and then he drove most of the BRP down as far as North Carolina before he had to exit off of it because of a fire.

I have driven a portion of it in North Carolina in a SOB years ago and found that getting up to and down from the actual Blue Ridge Parkway was the most difficult, depending where you choose to enter and exit, as some of those roads can be challenging, but there are others that are easy to access The speed on the BRP is 45 mph and for the most part is strictly enforced.

Every fall I enjoy riding on a portion of the BRP for the change of colors on my motorcycle.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 04-12-2008
Forum owner

i drove an 84 pt40 down the parkway,and what john said is right,its hard to get off the parkway,make sure you plan your exit!
Randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-14-2008

Thanks to all for your info on the BRP. It mught be a challenge to tackle it with the Bird some day. meanwhile, I have driven the Natchez Trace parkway several times. It is no up and down, has 3 free dry campgrounds, and is very scenic despite running from Nashville to Natchez, Miss. Also has a 50mph (I think) speed limit and NO commercial traffic allowed. 451 miles of beautiful scenic drive. No Bill boards, no stop signs , no red lights. Just like the Blue Ridge.
Juergen in PA
1991 WLSP36
Old 04-14-2008

sorry, computer went haywire again
Old 02-27-2009

I've found a wonderful web-site of a ladies travels which include the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Shanandoah Nat. park. It can be viewed at www.maliasmiles.com She has documented her site-seeing, campgrounds and the people she has met along her travels. A must see to help plan stops along the way.

Last edited by iamflagman; 02-28-2009 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Activated link
Old 02-28-2009
Former Bird Owner

I'd say it depends on your coach model. After looking over the Skyline Road - Blue Ridge Parkway route, we decided to park the bus and drive our toad. We stayed a couple of nights at Edinburg, VA -- driving up through Mt. Royal to the national park entrance. Drove down Skyline to SR 56, then back to Eidenburg on US 11 (parallel to I-81).

Had a really great pizza at Dave's Taverna (121 S. Main St., Harrisonburg, VA) on the way back to Eidenburg. Interesting, Greek-style Mediterranean cooking.

We then took the coach down I-81 to Fort Chiswell (Fort Chiswell RV Park) and spent another couple of nights. Drove out to the Blue Ridge Parkway, first on I-77 to Fancy Gap, VA. Then we headed north and went past Mabry Mill and Rocky Knob. I don't recall exactly where we left the parkway, but then we drove through the VA countryside and little towns. It was actually more interesting than the parkway, since there were small villages, farms and homes scattered about. The parkway itself, other than "features" is kind of sterile -- very pretty, but how many mile of "very pretty" do you want to see?

Anyway, after two long days of driving along the Skyway and Parkway, we were a bit fatigued....

We then took the coach from Fort Chiswell into Mt. Airy, NC. Stayed at Mayberry USA RV Campground. Took a brief tour into Mt. Airy (location for the Andy Griffith show where he was sheriff of Mayberry -- and birthplace of Andy Griffith). We drove out to Pilot Rock -- good views -- and toured a "cultural history" museum that had rebuilt colonial era farm buildings and some other historic structures. Very nice -- and similar to a Virginia cultural history museum we visited somewhere around Eidenburg.

After Mt. Airy, we'd had enough of the Blue Ridge -- and we headed east to Nashville, and picked up the Natchez Trace.

As for driving the coach on the Blue Ridge Parkway -- you can probably manage it, especially with something smaller than a PT-42. I note that I would not have been able to enter Shenandoah National park through the entrance gate -- it was only about 10' high (they must have had an alternative somewhere). The "problem" tunnels are near the south end of the parkway near or in N.C. However, there would be few places where you could pull a large RV in to park. During our visit, we were driving the parkway on weekdays in the fall (fall colors were great) and the very few parking areas were fairly crowded. Ok with the toad, but I'd never have been able to park the coach. The road is narrow, twisty in areas, and has minimal/no shoulder. I'm sure it would have been drivable, but not pleasant. (I drove our coach over the Natchez Trace Parkway -- and that's very drivable, though narrow (a modest speed limit of 50 mph helps). I'm glad I parked the coach and drove the toad.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com