Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 12-09-2019

Default Hot Skin Syndrome

NO, not an illness. I have a young man here in Mexico that helps me with everything from gardening to car washing. Yesterday he was polishing wheels and Aero waxing the Bird ( getting ready for Q). He told me that while on the ladder he had a damp cloth and touched the Bird. Got a small shock. Electricity problems in Mexico are not uncommon. I immediately thought that maybe it had something to do with my Inverter installation. The Bird was on 50 amp shore power. I turned off the shop 220 breaker but the shore cord was still connected. I used my cheap non contact voltage detector. It was beeping all over the body,bumpers and even wheels. I checked the 50 amp outlet and it was fine. Double checked all the inverter connections. Then I started checking the 50 amp cord. It was not an original piece. Had a molded male plug. No continuity from the male plug to the ground strip on the twist lock. I then noticed that the round ground plug was loose. Wiggling it broke and made contact. I did not have a spare plug but made a new cord from a 50 amp extension cord. Grounds were now good. BUT I still get beeping from that voltage connector. I used a multimeter to check for voltage from a grounded conduit to the Bird body. Not even a millivolt! Yet the tester is beeping. It even beeps when you check near the batteries??? What am I missing?
On a related subject: I want to repair the old cord but need a regular male 50 amp plug. I tried Amazon and Ebay and some rv stores. They all sell a variety of Chinese junk. Non were by a US mfr. like cooper, etc. The Chinese units are not very well made ( surprise) Complaints of broken plastic. NO UL or CSA certification. Finally I found 2 USA mfrs. Eaton and Conntek. The Chinese units are as low as $10.00. The USA units are around $40.00. Well worth the price. If anyone is looking for the female twist lock there is a metal Hubbell NOS on Ebay. Mine was plastic and I was able to find a new one for $80.00

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 12-10-2019

A good book for us non-electricians is the No Shock Zone RV Electrical Safety. It was one of the first books I read on RV electrical systems and is still a good reference with nice pictures for grunts like me.

amazon.com/No-Shock-Zone-Electrical-Safety-Michael-Sokol/dp/0990527913
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 12-11-2019

Thanks Kiwi. I did read some of his posts on line. he really knows his stuff. My contractor was here yesterday. The 2 ground rods were covered on top with concrete???? One of the wires was not even attached in the box. He installed 2 new rods and cleaned up the wiring. Tested and there are a few millivolts on one and under 1 volt on the other. All is good.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II