Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips

Tool Tips Here you will finds tips on using old tools, as well as the latest in new tools that you can use on your 'Bird's projects.

Site Search:

Old 07-19-2011

Default Jack stand

I know there has Been discussion at length of the need for safety while working under the bus. What I'm looking for is guidance on the specific type of jack stands to purchase. Assuming that when the coach is aired and placing the stands under her then,(along with extending the levelers for added protection), I will need stands in the 32 inch tall range. What brands And types of stands are you using. I have seen stands from the low 130.00 ranging up to 600.00 range for a set of 12 ton stands. Now I want to insure my safety while working under the bus but I also don't have a fortune to spend on stands. Does anyone have any guidance on the issue. There are many of the ratchet styled jack stands out there are they really safe for the application we need? They seem to be cast steel risers And I worry about the sheer strength, would assume the pinned type would perhaps be a better choice....
Old 07-19-2011

OTC has an offfshore division that makes an excellent jack stand. They are marketed as Stinger. Do a Google. Well made and rated @ 12 tons EACH not pair. They meet a an ANSI standard. Do not buy any China Freight items for this application.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 07-19-2011
davidmbrady

I use these OTC stands: http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CEoQ8wIwAA
Old 07-19-2011
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
OTC has an offfshore division that makes an excellent jack stand. They are marketed as Stinger. Do a Google. Well made and rated @ 12 tons EACH not pair. They meet a an ANSI standard. Do not buy any China Freight items for this application.
I would politely beg to differ... offshore jack stands work well when used correctly. I never rely on just one safety system though. We have used 20 ton bottle jacks in conjunction with jack stands as a minimum. Proper cribing works well too as well as the factory leveling jacks when operable and used in conjuction with one of the above.

Most situations only require us to have one wheel assembly off at a time. Rarely are both off at once. I have 6 jack stands total and 4 20 ton bottle jacks.

A complete set of two jacks and jack stands can be had for well under $200.00 from Harbor Freight of which there are 2 in the Kansas City area.

For occasionally used items, spending $1000.00 is a bit of an overkill. I know people are gonna go crazy over the safety issue but redundancy is where real safety is at!

ALWAYS CHOCK THE WHEELS TOO!

More is better in this instance. Just make sure the jackstands are under the frame rails, use 2 per side if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_4019.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	739.6 KB
ID:	11409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drum 009.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	572.6 KB
ID:	11410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drum 001.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	566.9 KB
ID:	11412  

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup

Last edited by Turbokitty; 07-19-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-19-2011

I was a little leery of using the offshore stands that are available at Harbor freight as most of there tools are of minimum quality. When you put it in the context of redundancy that may not be a bad solution at a reasonable price. What i need them most for is to keep the coach up so I can work under it more comfortably. I have not built up enough courage to consider taking a wheel off yet. throughout my whole like I have worked on my own vehicles. Younger days we would think nothing of pulling and swapping engines etc. But the sheer size of the bus is intimidating when thinking of taking off a wheel and supporting the coach. I suppose after I have done it for the first time it will be nothing then. Up until now I have taken it in for anything concerning wheel removal, the brakes are all that I have had to get done that required that. I would like to check the shock adjustments and I'm not sure if its necessary to remove the wheel but that would be the first time for wheel removal for me. Just not going to leave anything to chance, want to make sure I understand all the necessary saftey requirements. If nothing else this forum has beaten safety into my head and for that my family and I appreciate the concern.
Old 07-19-2011
Timberlake Products Group

Hey Ron,

Yes, some of Harbor Freight's stuff is junk! Not all of it though... I really would not buy power tools from them but hey, heat shrink tubing, engine lifts, wrenches, pry bars, tarps, cut off wheels, step drill bits etc. all work just fine. They got a great deal on a mack daddy 1 1/4" X 1 1/2" box end wrench for hitch balls cheap! Their 12 ton jack stands are HD and rather heavy. Once again, when used with other safety measures, they are just fine.

Getting under the "belly of the beast" is a bit intimidating at first. It was really fun with the PT with both sets of rear wheels off on one side changing out air bags.

Just removing one wheel assembly manually will flat wear a person out too!

I guess the bottom line is... a person shouldn't work stupid
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vintage car.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	11413  

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 07-19-2011
davidmbrady

Ron, For cribbing I really like engineered LVL lumber. It supports something like 750 psi perpendicular to the grain, and it comes in a large variety of sizes. It's multiple ply so there's redundancy there too. I cut 2"x12" planks into 24" long pieces. Put them side by side and criss-cross as you build up and you have a very sturdy 24"x24" platform on which to rest a jack stand. Keep it on a level floor and don't go too high. I cap mine with a 1/4" 2'x2' steel plate. Shove a couple of these under there for additional safety or use them to support jack stands. Just make sure everything is removed before you lower the coach!