Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 4 Days Ago

Just wondering if that 750K is on the original engine and trans. Or have they been rebuilt or replaced.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 4 Days Ago

Don: Too the best of my knowledge there were 2 rebuilds. One for sure was an inframe. I think the tranny is original The diff has been done. Heads replaced. The service records show a ton of money was spent keeping it in great shape. Much of the paint is still original. Robert Britton knows some things he gleaned from the original owner. The original toaster had never been used when Robert bought the coach. The kitchen sinks look like they are still on display at Home depot. Microwave instructions are still in the factory sealed plastic I don't think the original owner ate in the coach. Most of the work was done at BB, Detroit dealers and Coach craft. We all know how fussy Robert is!!! He detailed the Genny compartment and the engine bay. I could put it in the Oakland Roadster Show! I almost don't want to use it!

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 4 Days Ago

There is the issue of long term accuracy of the odometers as originally installed. Not noted for long term viability. My 83 FC quit @ 256k, not an unusual experience from what I gather.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 4 Days Ago
Frequent User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
There is the issue of long term accuracy of the odometers as originally installed. Not noted for long term viability. My 83 FC quit @ 256k, not an unusual experience from what I gather.
Good point Mike...

I think the combination of the engine hours AND the odometer reading may give a better idea of what the actual mileage is....

My engine hours reading is 8392 (two engines) so that would mean (for 375K miles) an average speed of 45 mph...is that a bit high? Or does it just mean that this Bird spent a lot of time “cruising”?

I will “calibrate” the odometer in the next few thousand miles by comparing with my GPS-recorded miles, and get back to the forum with my results....
1989 SP 36 (SOLD)
Old 4 Days Ago
Frequent User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBird View Post
Good point Mike...

I think the combination of the engine hours AND the odometer reading may give a better idea of what the actual mileage is....

My engine hours reading is 8392 (two engines) so that would mean (for 375K miles) an average speed of 45 mph...is that a bit high? Or does it just mean that this Bird spent a lot of time “cruising”?

I will “calibrate” the odometer in the next few thousand miles by comparing with my GPS-recorded miles, and get back to the forum with my results....
That being said, the PO (who spec’d the coach at the factory) said “yep, 375K is about right”... He used it “regularly”...and, did maintenance to “make sure he got home”...
1989 SP 36 (SOLD)
Old 4 Days Ago

750,000 miles is almost half a million $ in fuel at today's prices. That's just crazy! I can't imagine putting so many miles on, but I'd like to! What did the PO do to put so many miles on?

I've only got about 98k miles now. I think the engine hours are a bit high, but the hour meter runs when the key is in accessory, I noticed.
Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
750,000 miles is almost half a million $ in fuel at today's prices. That's just crazy! I can't imagine putting so many miles on, but I'd like to! What did the PO do to put so many miles on?

I've only got about 98k miles now. I think the engine hours are a bit high, but the hour meter runs when the key is in accessory, I noticed.
The original owner of the coach was an NASCAR Official and used the coach every season, every race on the circuit. He claimed the coach had 1 Million miles on it but based on the records that came with the coach best we can tell it seems closer to 750K. He and his crew would go out to eat and just used the coach as a mobile office and sleeping. His crew of three traveled and stayed in a Country Coach (also owned and maintained by him). When traveling from one race to another they would tag team the driving duties but once at the track the PT was his while the crew shared the Country Coach.

The coach runs and drives perfectly and shows very little wear, it's an amazing coach! There are pictures in my photo album "88-PT"
Old 3 Days Ago

The Speedos need lubed. Holes need drilled by the gears to be lubed I used we then the miles stay accurate. I have done both bird's
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.