Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 08-30-2011

Default Aqua-Hot Potential Electrical Short

The Aqua-Hot has two 12vdc thermostats and two 110vac thermostats. Prior to s/n 97716 (late 1998 BB's), there was only one duble-acting 110vac thermostat which is no longer made and prone to failure. A-H recommended a kit to replace it with two, per Service Bulletin # S-103. That kit costs about $100 and contains the two 110vac thermostats and the associated wiring.

Odd, I thought, to include the wires. Upon opening the cover plate it was clear why. The wire getting the most heat from the burner, the wire that goes downward from thermostat to heater element, was charred and fell apart when I touched it. Pix attached.

The thermostats and that one wire were easy to replace. The other wires going to the small junction box on the side of the unit are harder to replace, but doable. On the '95's, near impossible as the junction box is located behind the column between bays. They changed that later. However, the wires to the junction box are farther away from the heat and in better shape.

Seems like something worth checking when you have the cover off to replace the nozzle, check gaps, and clean the burner cavity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	693.5 KB
ID:	12146   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010008.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	633.5 KB
ID:	12147   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010009.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	669.6 KB
ID:	12148  
Old 08-30-2011

Good info Ron. I didn't know this. Mine is not like that being a 99. I did notice mine has a resettable 12 volt high limit (push button) type thermostat installed. I've had several AH in a couple of SOB's Ive owned and never seen what your describing or the resettable thermostat. I agree eveyone should know what they have going on inside their unit.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2011

My 97 Aqua Hot was like yours with only the one thermostat/high limit switch. When I had my Aqua Hot serviced by Roger Berke at "Q" he updated mine also. My wiring was not burned however.

Seems like a smart thing to do.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad

Last edited by bwinter1946; 09-01-2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: SP
Old 08-31-2011

The wiring wasn't "burned"; I should not have said "charred". It was hard and cracked from extensive nearby heat, because it was not high temperature insulation. Moving it destroyed the insulation on the end where the thermostat connector was. The new wire is high temperature insulation. The old wire might be okay if it doesn't touch a grounded surface, but worth getting rid of, I think.
Old 08-31-2011
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Ron, Thanks for the heads up. I did not know about the one stat and I can see how a failue could be serious. Mine is mounted on the curb side. I think I can see and get to all my wiring. Is yours on the street side?
Wonder if a conventional water heater Stat set up would work?
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 08-31-2011

Mallie,

While you probably could get off the shelf stuff to work properly, the AquaHot thermostat replacement kit is exact to do just what needs to be done. The wires are all correct with terminals already on them. I did mine a couple of years ago (Thanks, Lee!!) and didn't have any issues replacing it. You need to check the serial number to ensure yours is a problem unit. I thought they had it on their site, but can't currently find it.

Here's the shop manual for what should be your unit. Figure 4 on page 4 (pg 6 in adobe) shows all 4 t-stats.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 08-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallie Lennon View Post
Ron, Thanks for the heads up. I did not know about the one stat and I can see how a failue could be serious. Mine is mounted on the curb side. I think I can see and get to all my wiring. Is yours on the street side?
Wonder if a conventional water heater Stat set up would work?
Mallie, yes, my A-H is on the street side. The junction box is right behind the pillar between bays. It is possible to open it and make connections, and pull a wire through from the thermostat and heater areas by soldering the new one to the end of the old one, but difficult. I found those wires on mine were just fine, so the only wire in the kit I used was the bad one from the thermostat to the heater element, both of which are easily accessible.

Although the two thermostats are probably stock, I noticed they are two different part numbers, probably with different settings, maybe so if one fails the other will stop an overtemp? I guess I'd not play with trying to second guess A-H. The best part of their kit is the 200 C wiring which I have not been able to find locally and buy a few feet.
Old 08-31-2011
Aqua-Hot Auth Service

There is a pretty good drawing below that shows the electrical system in model 441 series of Aqua-Hot.

The upgrade kit (Aqua-Hot part number ELE-560-024) is also shown below. It replaces the entire wiring harness and both the control and high limit thermostats. If you notice the wires are now connected to the thermostats with screws and not push on terminals. The wiring is much heavier (#12 wire I think).

Some of the early Aqua-Hot units had only a control thermostat and not a high limit. If your unit only has one thermostat, you should install this upgrade.

- Roger Berke -
Moderator - http://www.Forum.RVHydronicHeaterRepair.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical Diagram.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	12173   Click image for larger version

Name:	ELE-560-024_L.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	12174  
Old 09-01-2011

Thanks for that picture Roger! That's the one I was trying to post, but somehow didn't get the link inserted from my post.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 09-02-2011
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

I will have to ck mine, but I doubt it has had the upgrade.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com