Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 03-27-2016

Jim,

I have been using Rotella for both my buses and also my boat for many years. I don't have any oil consumption. The reason is I only drive 7 or 8 K miles each year. Seems fine enough.

The bigger problem for me and most of us is that since I don't drive a lot of miles, I change oil only once a year, and I am told that is too long. So your comment about the acid is of interest for me. But since that requires the expensive synthetic oil, I am between a rock and a hard place....
Old 03-27-2016

Does seem high for a newer style engine. Back in the 60's and 70's, that would be very low consumption. However, the newer style use little oil. I usually add about one gallon of oil in each of my CAT C-15's in the 20,000 mile oil change!

I would first try keeping the oil near the add mark. If you go a little below, it will not hurt. That "might" help. I run Shell Rotella. As long as the oil meets specs, it will be good.

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 03-27-2016
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

I switched for Delo to Rotella years ago because I thought it was the top oil. And I use it in everything.
Shows what little I know. I will have to do some research now.
Jim, Thanks for sharing your experience.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 03-27-2016

I have used Rotella oils in both my 85 PT 40 and now my 01 HR Navigator with a 500hp Cummins engine as well as Aero Shell in my airplanes. I have always had good luck with Shell products. I have 56K on my Cummins 500HP even going though the mountains pulling my 4X4 P/U truck I had little or no oil consumption. But from personal experience I have changed brands in my cars and stopped excessive oil consumption. P.S I did switch from 50w Aero Shell to a synthetic . Lots of oil leaks switched back to mineral oil with no more leaks. Just a thought.
Old 04-05-2016

I have used Brad Penn oil in my M380 and have seen no oil loss..
Old 04-05-2016

I'm using Rotella, no oil consumption in 4500 miles.
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 04-05-2016

Thanks for the info. What oil level are you holding? Full? Do you have difficulty getting an accurate oil level reading with the dipstick? What method do you use to measure oil level with the dipstick?

I ask these questions to make sure we're comparing apples to apples. I can only get an accurate reading after letting the coach sit overnight. Once I check the level, the dipstick drags enough oil up the tube that it looks like I have a high level.
1984 FC35 SB Wanderlodge II (sold)
Old 04-05-2016

After an oil change 4500 miles back, my dipstick indicated at the full mark, but after some miles now runs at the 2 qt. low mark and has stayed that way for a few thousand miles of hard driving. I check my oil cold, pull the stick, wipe it, reinsert, check it..my stick isn't dragging any excess oil with it.
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 04-05-2016

I know it sounds goofy about the dipstick problem. Every other engine I've ever had always had a flat tip with some cross hatching on it to hold a reading. I would do exactly what you describe. Pull the dipstick, wipe it clean, re-insert it and then pull it out again to get a good reading. The dipstick on this coach has a rounded tip. If I try to get a reading the way I normally would, I see oil running way up on the stick and I can't get a good reading. Strange yours works OK and mine doesn't. Don't mean to sound like a perv but does your dipstick look like my dipstick?
1984 FC35 SB Wanderlodge II (sold)
Old 04-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBERIC35 View Post
I know it sounds goofy about the dipstick problem. Every other engine I've ever had always had a flat tip with some cross hatching on it to hold a reading. I would do exactly what you describe. Pull the dipstick, wipe it clean, re-insert it and then pull it out again to get a good reading. The dipstick on this coach has a rounded tip. If I try to get a reading the way I normally would, I see oil running way up on the stick and I can't get a good reading. Strange yours works OK and mine doesn't. Don't mean to sound like a perv but does your dipstick look like my dipstick?
Eric, I have commented on this before. I have two vehicles that give me a real PIA when checking the oil, the coach not being one of them. But anyway, I have one that will show one level on front side of the stick and another on the back side. I don't know how that happens but it does. It may show up to the F on the front side and then I flip it over and it will be halfway down on the backside. Not sure how that works but that does happen. I just go by the level on the front and assume that is correct. I have another that drags oil along both sides of the stick well above the F but then comes together at the F mark. Kind of like a V. On that one I go with the junction of the V. I guess on your next oil change you need to calculate how much your bus is supposed to hold, pour that it and then pull your stick and see what it reads. Don't forget to account for the filter, if you change it.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278