Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M450 (Unique Issues)

M450 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M450 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M450 Parts here too. NO DISCUSSION OF ANY OF THE M450 LAWSUITS ALLOWED HERE.

Site Search:

Old 05-16-2019

Default M 450 Ramblings

I would like to share with everyone some of my experience owning a M-450 for 8 years now.

The most annoying issue I had in the first couple of years was the slide locks not working as designed. The bedroom slide gave me the most problems because the actuator for the rear lock is near the exhaust pipe and was not designed to withstand a lot of heat. It is impossible to remove the actuator at the rear bedroom slide. I know this from experience working with the designer of the actuators, Fabco-Air Inc. in Gainesville Florida. I had removed everything to access the actuator and lock before my arrival and we worked the entire day trying to remove the actuator for repair. You can’t remove it because of a bracket BB welded in place. We were able to take it apart and service it with heat resident seals and it works fine now. The president of Fabco- Air said they would be glad to repair any actuators if you remove them first and bring them to their factory. They will not do any more work on a customer’s coach, as they are not equipped to do so. After doing this I still disabled my locks and have driven it for 25,000 or more miles with no problems.

I know owners that would stop the slide short from going out all the way by an inch so that the lock would not engage and lock. By doing they didn’t have to worry about the slide not coming in the morning they were leaving the campsite.

There is an water and oil separator in the front bay under the driver that needs to be drained on a weekly basis to prevent water getting into the slide lock air lines.

I have upgraded my inverters to Magnum pure sine wave with a modern transfer switch and auto start.

I would recommend having a spare voltage regulator on board. The regulator is in the back bedroom closet and is an easy replace. I replaced mine last spring on the side of the road in Texas.

M&M RV electronics https://www.mmrvelectronics.com have done the electrical upgrades to a lot of 450 owners. M&M has all programing for the M-450 software and also all the software and hardware for the slide controls. They really have been our go to place for anything electrical. In the winter they have a shop on the property of Intellitec in Deland Florida. Intellitec built the switches and modules for the M-450.

I love the 450 and for the most part the repairs have been just your normal stuff. The drive and ride is great and there are some bargains out there.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 05-16-2019
Forum owner

Great post,and good info.
Thanks for the insight.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-16-2019

That is great and interesting info!
You mentioned the water / oil separator and need to drain. I wonder if the M380 has this. I am not aware of it and wonder if I missed it.

Could you please post a photo of it and / or more information? I had thought it the M380 case, it uses the Bendix Air Dryer for that purpose. But maybe not.

Thank you, Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 05-16-2019
Geek

Doug, the air coming from the coach is dried, but air from each of the aux pumps goes directly into the small tank with no drier. The bottom of that tank has a drain. I have no idea if this is in any way similar to the 450 setup, but except when using engine air the slide has "wet" air. I have never gotten much out of that drain.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 05-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
That is great and interesting info!
You mentioned the water / oil separator and need to drain. I wonder if the M380 has this. I am not aware of it and wonder if I missed it.

Could you please post a photo of it and / or more information? I had thought it the M380 case, it uses the Bendix Air Dryer for that purpose. But maybe not.

Thank you, Doug

Here are three photos that should get you close.Attachment 61959
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aux air front a.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	61962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aux air front b.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	61963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aux air front c.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	61964  

Buck Jackson
Dickinson, TX
2006 M450 Lxi
Old 05-16-2019

Thanks Buck. The water separator is the black canister on the left side back of the air compressors.
Old 05-16-2019

Thanks, all.
Substantial differences between the M380 and M450.
Don - now I remember the outputs of the aux air compressors feeding directly via 3/8" nylon tubing to the slide air tank in the forward driver's bay. I will drain that tank one of these days just to see.

Ambient humidity for me is pretty low, so hopefully, I don't collect much.

And not that much air passes through that tank (I don't have leaks, at least they are very minor).
Good to see traction on the M450 forum. Will be great to add to the knowledge base here. A friend just bought one and is getting familiar with his new machine (1 month).
cheers,
Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 05-16-2019

In addition to the pre-filter water separator that Garland just spoke of, there is a tank drain (comes off of the bottom of the tank). Mine is currently laying under the compressor.

All Aux air goes through the water separator and then into a manifold. From the manifold some goes to the Bendix descant canister and some goes on into the bus. The air from the Bendix canister goes into the aux tank forward of the cabinet door.

Buck Jackson
Dickinson, TX
2006 M450 Lxi
Old 05-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
In addition to the pre-filter water separator that Garland just spoke of, there is a tank drain (comes off of the bottom of the tank). Mine is currently laying under the compressor.

All Aux air goes through the water separator and then into a manifold. From the manifold some goes to the Bendix descant canister and some goes on into the bus. The air from the Bendix canister goes into the aux tank forward of the cabinet door.

Not so sure the air routing is correct. The Aux tank is drained by the petcock and the Norgren filter. The Bendix drier to the best of my knowledge, is for the air brake system to keep the water out. You want to exchange that filter often, like every year or 2. Yes, it is expensive ($80+). Unfortunately most do not know it is a maintenance item and have never changed it. But you don't want moisture in your air brake components. (BIG dollars)
San Marcos, CA

Old 05-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gsur View Post
Not so sure the air routing is correct.
Me either. lol

I've had it all apart due to an air leak at the bottom of the aux tank and also since a unknown water leak had rotted the mounting board that held up a couple of junction areas. That was 14 months ago so I'm probably remembering wrongly.....

So what I am sure of is (because I just went back out and checked) the air from the compressor goes through the Norgren water separator and then into the tank.

A 1/2" line comes from the top of the tank into the Bendix desiccant cartridge and then returns to a junction.

Admittedly, I start to get a little fuzzy here. It goes in a half dozen different directions from here.

There are a couple of solenoids in there as well. Dan, do you have any idea what they go to or are used for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Cabinet junction b.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	61972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Cabinet junction a.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	61973  

Buck Jackson
Dickinson, TX