Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 02-10-2009

Default Break-a-way versus no Break-a-way

I am having the M&G toad brake installed on my F-150. If I understand it right, it simply stops the toad if the air supply from the Bird is breached. But the installer mentioned that he did not necessarily believe in installing the brake-a-way option. Seems like I remember someone mentioning that certain states, and/or western Canada (you boys talking about Alaska has me excited) requires the brake-a-way. It is only a $200 savings not to have it. What do you guys think; install the brake-a-way, or no brake-a-way?

(We pick up our dream toy from Randy next week! I'm gettin' 'cited!)
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 02-10-2009

Don't leave home without it.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 02-10-2009
Forum Moderator

Rick I'd be interested in why the installer preferred not to install a break away system.
Old 02-10-2009
Forum owner

i would have it installed!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-10-2009
Gardner

The M&G breakaway system is activated electrically. It uses a separate air tank to engage the brakes. It is charged when the coach brakes are applied.

http://www.m-gengineering.com/Breakaway.html
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-10-2009

Thanks all. I will have it added. The installer was not necessarily trying to talk me out of it, simply saying that he personally preferred his toad to stop on its own. Sounded a bit goofy to me, but I wanted to ask anyway. Thanks again.
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 02-10-2009

Rick, Thanks funny and also strange. He's right if you don't have a break away device the toad will definitely stop on it's own. Might be a mile down the road in the other lane of traffic or who knows where. I am pretty certain that many states require the break away and they all should. You have about six bolts holding that base plate on the toad. Stuff breaks, rusts, works loose. It's one of those no brainers if you ask me. Even the safety chains are questionable in my application because they to fasten to the base plate. It would seem a better system if the safety chains were a completely separate entity but in my case there is no other practical way to fasten them.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 02-10-2009

Here's the reason I have a break away system on mine. When we were driving our coach home on our maiden voyage, we stopped in southern Virginia for the night. A couple of spaces up was an old fella from Georgia, towing a Ford Explorer behind a fairly new SOB diesel pusher. We got to chatting about toads and such, as I didn't know what I wanted/needed, etc. He told me that he'd just replaced his last Explorer because he didn't take the time to hook up his break away system when he was simply taking his SOB back to his storage lot, about 3 miles down the road. That particular time, his Blue Ox tow bar snapped as he was headed down the short stretch of highway he needed to travel. The toad traveled down the highway (4 lane divided) crossed the median, traveled down the other side for a couple hundred yards before roling itself in the opposite side drainage ditch. Fortunately, it didn't hit anybody else. Because of how it broke free, this fellow didn't even know it had happened until he got to the storage lot and saw it wasn't behind the RV! So back up the highway he went about a mile and there it was. Or at least what was left of it.

That was all I needed to tell me a supplemental braking system is required for any toad or trailer I have behind the bus. Blue Ox warranteed his tow bar, so they really did right by this fellow.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support

Last edited by fxdwg; 02-10-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: spelling and adding info
Old 02-10-2009

Thirty some years ago, back in the days of metal bumpers I was towing a 1963 Chevy behind a rental truck. U-haul provided a tow bar that was clamped onto the bumper of the car. About half way between Pa and Ft Bragg the one side got loose. The ole car started to get fishy back there fastened to only one side. Of course the safety chains were still attached. I was able to get things off the side of the road and sorted out but I only needed that one experience to teach me anything that can get loose given enough time and distance will do so. (I also wear a belt and suspenders since then) Can you imagine the sick feeling that fellow had when he got to the storage lot to find that his "toad" was not there. Makes me queasy hearing about it.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 02-10-2009

It was upside down in the ditch and completely totaled. He had it loaded with fresh peaches and was then going to his son's place (IIRC), so there were peaches all over the place. He even knew he was REALLY fortunate that nobody got hurt. That was his lesson as well, as he hooks things up completely whether he's going down the driveway or across the country.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support